University Jobs in Kenya 2013.
Maasai Mara University
Vacancy Announcement – Vice Chancellor
Maasai Mara University was established as a fully fledged University through the award of a Charter by His Excellency Hon. Mwai Kibaki on 12th February, 2013. Maasai Mara University is successor to Narok University College which was established in 2008 as a Constituent College of Moi University. The University has five Schools which are Education, Business and Economics, Science, Arts and Social Sciences, Tourism and Natural Resource Management.
The University is located 2 kilometers from Narok town and one kilometer off the Narok – BometRoad.
To be a world class University committed to academic excellence for development
To provide quality university education through innovative teaching, research and consultancy service for development.
Develop an institution of excellence in teaching, training, scholarship, entrepreneurship, research, consultancy, community service, among other educational service and products, with emphasis on technology and its development, impact and application to society.
Maasai Mara University Council invites applications from suitably qualified and experienced persons with excellent credentials to provide leadership to the institution in the position of
Duties and Responsibilities
The duties and responsibilities of the Vice Chancellor shall be as provided for in the Universities Act of 2012, and the Maasai Mara University Charter and Statutes, and shall include the following:
• The Vice Chancellor shall be the Chief Executive Officer of the University;
• The Vice Chancellor shall be the academic and administrative head of the University and as such shall provide strategic direction and transformative leadership to the University and represent the University nationally, regionally and internationally;
• The Vice Chancellor shall be responsible for the co-ordination, development andimplementation of academic and administrative programs and policies of the University in accordance with prescribed Statutes, strategic plan, regulations and procedures, and shall implement the Council’s decisions and resolutions including those related to fundraising and resource mobilization and general development of the University;
• The Vice Chancellor shall provide innovative and transformative leadership in research, outreach, extension, networking, partnerships and linkages with government/regulatory agencies and other local/international institutions of higher learning.
• The Vice Chancellor shall be the Chairman of the University Management Board, Senate, and other key Committees.
• The Vice Chancellor shall have such other powers, duties and responsibilities as may be conferred upon him by Council in accordance with the Universities Act, 2012, the University Charter and Statutes.
• Be a holder of an earned PhD from a recognized university and be at the level of at least associate Professor
• Proven ability to coordinate and network with development partners in mobilizing resources for sustainable growth and development of the University.
• Demonstrate thorough understanding of Kenya’s governance and business processes for the enrichment of the University’s ability to contribute significantly to National development and achievement of vision 2030.
• Have excellent understanding of major trends in National and International education and training and broad awareness of the major factors influencing the development of University Education in Kenya.
• Have at least ten (10) years of academic and research experience with proven senior leadership role in an academic or research institution.
• Have proven capacity as a curriculum innovator to plan and implement academic programmes that produce graduates of choice.
• Demonstrate the highest ethical standards, integrity, accountability and professionalism in keeping with the requirements of Chapter Six of the Constitution.
• Evidence of having served substantively, with demonstrable results, in the position of a Principal of a University College, a Deputy Vice Chancellor or in a similar position in a similar institution of comparable level.
Strategic leadership experience:
• Significant experience in strategic management and leadership
• Experience of developing and promoting external partnerships, building relationships with local/international partner institutions.
• Demonstrable skills to inspire and engage people in the development of ideas and successful delivery of strategic projects.
• Ability to quickly establish credibility within the role, building partnerships and influence at all levels.
• Leading, supporting, coaching and providing guidance to colleagues.
• Business planning and financial awareness, including allocating resources and monitoring of performance against financial targets.
Terms & Conditions of Service
Successful candidates, for the position, will be offered a competitive remuneration package, including house allowance and other benefits in accordance with the Kenya Government public service guidelines. The appointment will be for a contractual period of five (5) years renewable for a further period of five (5) years subject to satisfactory performance.
Application Guidelines and Statutory requirements for applicants for the position.
Applications in ten copies, should be submitted together with a detailed curriculum Vitae detailing academic qualifications, professional experience, leadership and management roles, publications/awards/scholarships/funding, membership of professional associations, linkages and community service; copies of relevant certificates, email address and telephone contacts. Must obtain clearance from Higher Education Loans Board (HELB), Ethics and Anti Corruption Commission (EACC), Kenya Revenue Authority (KRA) and a certificate of Good of Conduct.
Applications and referees’ confidential reports on the applicant’s suitability for the post should be sent to the undersigned.
Applicants should indicate on the envelope the Reference number and the position applied for.
All Applications should reach us on or before 5.00pm on 6th September 2013 and addressed to:-
The Chairman of Council,
Maasai Mara University
C/o DNA 1553
P.O.Box 49010, 00100, NAIROBI.
Maasai Mara University is an equal opportunity employer