Scholarship Opportunities in Kenya
Ministry of Education Science and Technology
Commonwealth Scholarships Tenable in the United Kingdom 2014
The Commonwealth scholarship in the United Kingdom is offering twenty nine (29) full scholarships for postgraduate students for Kenyan students tenable in UK institutions of Higher Learning starting in October 2014.
Ten (10) of the scholarships are for PhD while the remaining nineteen (19) are for Masters Degree.
Priority will be given to studies that are along the following themes:
Economic Growth and Private Sector
Water and Sanitation
Governance and Conflict
Climate and Environment
Food and Nutrition
Humanitarian Disasters and Emergencies
Duration of scholarships
i) One (1) year taught Masters courses
ii) Six (6) months of enhancing clinical skills in medicine or dentistry
iii) Doctoral degrees of up to three (3) years.(candidates may undertake fieldwork in Kenya)
iv) One year (1) research on a split-site basis towards a PhD registered at a Kenyan university.
i. For Masters degree scholarships, be a holder of at least upper 2nd class honors and must state the source of funding at undergraduate level
ii. For PHD scholarship be a holder of a very good Masters’ degree and should have proof of support from a prospective supervisor in at least one chosen institution
iii. Applicants for split- site study must provide evidence of support from their prospective supervisor at the UK institution as well as from Kenyan institution at the time of application.
iv. Candidates for enhancing clinical skills award must have qualified as a Doctor or Dentist between 1st October 2004 and 30th September 2009.
v. Are serving in the country in the Public Sector
vi. Are below 35 years for Masters Degree and 45 years for PhD.Application Procedure
All eligible candidates must read and follow the following guidelines strictly
1. Obtain preliminary application forms from the Ministry of Education, Science and Technology, Directorate of Higher Education offices located at Teleposta Towers, 27th floor room 2702. The application forms can also be downloaded from the website: www.scienceandtechnology.go.ke
2. Completed application forms with attached certified photocopies of ID, academic/professional certificates, transcripts, Birth Certificate, other testimonials and a proposal in the area of study should be sent to
Director – Higher Education
Ministry of Education Science and Technology,
P O Box 9583 – 00200,Nairobi
OR delivered to Teleposta Towers, 27th floor, Room 2702 during working hours between 8.00am to 5.00pm
3. The Preliminary application forms should reach the Ministry not later than 9th September , 2013
4. Only shortlisted applicants ( who shall be informed through e-mail/phone call) shall be required to proceed with steps 5-9
5. Access the Commonwealth scholarship 2014 prospectus from the website: cscuk.dfid.gov.uk/apply/scholarships-developing-cw for more information on the scholarship and to identify the participating institutions in UK and submit independent application directly to the institutions at the same time as applying for the scholarship.
6. Apply for the scholarship electronically by following the link http://bit.ly/cscuk-apply .
7. Complete the Electronic Application System (EAS) form online BUT download and print three (3) sets before submitting it electronically to the Commonwealth Commission
8. Submit one (1) set of the hard copy of completed EAS form through your head of department to the Directorate of Higher Education on the address indicated above.
9. Await an invitation for an interview. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews.
NB To be nominated does not in any way guarantee selection or placement.
Preference for the award of these scholarships will be given to teaching staff in Public Universities and Constituent Colleges.
Teaching staff in these institutions are highly encouraged to apply.