Advocacy Officer Jobs in Kenya
HIVOS Regional Office Nairobi is looking for a suitable individual for the following post:
Vacancy Name: Advocacy Officer – Climate and Energy
Number of hours: 40
Region: East Africa
Office: Nairobi, Kenya
The Advocacy Officer Climate and Energy will be part of the Global Climate and Energy team and the Hivos Regional Office for East Africa.
Energy is a vital for development. Access to affordable, reliable and sustainable energy alleviates poverty, improve living conditions and propel economic development. Hivos opts for 100 per cent renewable energy worldwide.
Continuing along the fossil fuel route to harmful climate change will have disastrous effects, especially for developing countries.
Climate and Energy Advocacy
Hivos objectives on energy are:
- To improve access to sustainable produced energy for cooking, lighting and productive use
- To develop renewable energy markets and promote entrepreneurship in the renewable energy sector and
- To call for green, fair and gender sensitive energy systems in policy and investments.Too much of the scarce resources of donors and recipient countries are spent on supporting large scale fossil fuel based energy production.
Hivos’ advocacy aims to shift this towards renewable and decentralized energy production to prevent further climate change and biodiversity losses and at the same time address the full energy needs and rights of the poor.
New developments such as the UN Sustainable Energy for All (SE4ALL) campaign and the SDG on energy, provide ample opportunities for Hivos and local civil society organizations to influence decision-making and funding into this direction.
Hivos wants to strengthen its position in this field to influence and cooperate with governments and private sector at local, national and international level.
- To coordinate existing and initiate new advocacy strategies of Hivos in East Africa
- Further develop and coordinate the IIED and Hivos “social innovation lab on energy” in Tanzania
- To support and cooperate with civil society organizations engaged in energy access advocacy work in East Africa
- To develop networks and strategies with the private sector for a joint approach in energy access advocacy
- To manage the existing energy advocacy contracts with civil society partners in East Africa
- To develop advocacy positions and materials in close coordination with the global climate and energy team
- To represent Hivos East Africa in advocacy meetings in East Africa and act as spokesperson for Hivos on these issues
- Identify and analyze new approaches, cooperation and funding for green and fair energy systems and Hivos’ role in this
- To contribute to the Hivos overall organizational and policy development.
- A master’s degree in environmental policies, sustainable energy, environmental and natural resource management, economics of natural resources or other relevant field. (Bachelor’s degree with several years of relevant experience will also be considered).
- Five to seven years work experience in a relevant sector.
- An excellent understanding of energy and development policies and experience in advocacy work.
- Excellent communication skills including public speaking in English and Kiswahili
- Strong interpersonal communication and negotiation skill with private sector, civil society organizations, government officials and community.
- Good understanding of and strong affinity with civil society, in particular with non-governmental organizations.
- Capacity and willingness to strategize and work closely with private sector actors and government bodies.
- Having respect for humanitarian or humanist principles and willing to work in a non- discriminating, neutral, impartial and gender equal environment
The Advocacy Officer is part of the Green Team in Nairobi and reports directly to the Global Coordinator for Climate, Energy and Development at the Hivos Head Office under supervision of the Regional Director in Nairobi.Like to apply?Please send your CV plus motivation letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org, reference number: Adv/PO.
The deadline is Wednesday 14th January 2015.
Only short listed candidates will be contacted.