By Edith Mecha
Everyone wants to position themselves highly in the job market and in their career. It is important to be familiar with the new marketable courses in your career in order to increase your value in the company, increase chances of getting the right job and having a bright future in your career. To train for a marketable course is tailoring one’s aptitude, and skill set to target the job market. It’s a response to the current professional requirement, and matching the work force with the available vacancies.
With the high rates of unemployment in Kenya you have no option than to brand yourself; be of productive relevance, upgrade your academic credentials and skill set, and understands the emerging issues, courses and interests in your area. This will make you more competitive in your job and job search. Thus reducing the so called hard economic times in the job market.
This is why we all need to pursue a marketable course for it seeks to bridge relevance between the job market and targeted training, thereby making one the best candidate in their job or position.
5 courses worth enrolling for to increase your career growth and success
These are based on job adverts that organizations, companies, NGOs, county government and national government have been posting.
1. Community Development: This is one of the best courses in regard to performance in the market and is highly in demand especially by NGOs.If you pick the dailies you won’t miss an advert from an NGO looking for applicants with a degree in Social Sciences with a specialization in Community Development. So if you already have a degree in Social Sciences it’s a high time you planned on registering for a Diploma course in Community Development.
Family Health Options Kenya (FHOK) was recently looking for a Youth Centre Coordinator with a minimum requirement of a Diploma in Social Work/Community Development. Several universities and colleges offer this course, so enroll now!
2. Social Media and Web Content Management: This is a course for those in the Communications profession. With the growing number of internet users in Kenya and the world at large, no company can afford to be left out on having a strong online presence. Every company wants to market its core business on various social media platforms like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Google+ just to mention a few. A company’s website is like its face, it gives viewers a glimpse of what to expect. Therefore, companies are investing in employees and applicants with strong skills in developing and updating content, designing websites and maintaining them. Improve on these skills and you will advance in your career and even find your dream job.
Ogilvy & Mather Africa is looking for a Social Media Expert; Duma Works is recruiting a Social Media Expert for one of its clients,R4K is looking for a Social Media Coordinator,while Corporate Staffing Services was recently looking for a Web Content Editor.
3. Monitoring and Evaluation: This course is popular and marketable with NGOS and corporate companies in Kenya. Most NGOs want applicants with experience in this area. Therefore, if you want to increase your chances of working in an NGO then enroll now online or in an accredited institution and get your certificate.
The Kenya Conference of Catholic Bishops (KCCB) is looking for a Monitoring and Evaluation Officer, the deadline is 29th of this month. Other organizations looking for candidates are USAID, PATH, NURU, ICL, Deloitte and Care International.
4. Tax Specialist and Expert: If you are in Accounting, Economics, Finance and Law profession then you should think of improving your knowledge on tax compliance, relevant tax credits this will help in devising strategies or policies to track tax avoidance and tax evasion, tax incidences and crimes. Tax specialists are in high demand in Kenya these days thus a master’s in taxation could place you a notch up on your competition. In a master’s of taxation program, you will learn the intricacies of the tax code, and strategies to lower others and your own taxable income. You can now enroll at the Kenya Revenue Authority Training Institute which is a specialized training institution focusing on customs, tax administration and management studies.
Some of the courses offered include: Senior Management Development Programme (CCES), Basic Customs Procedures Course, Basic Tax Administration Course, Clearing and Forwarding Agents Program and Management Development Course.
This is an excellent way to advance your career with additional skills and competence in an important business practice, whether you are seeking a career change or wanting to gain useful skills and knowledge.CFC Stanbic Bank is looking for a Tax Officer and the deadline for application is on 28th of this month and, Kenya Manufacturers Association is looking for a Tax and Research Officer. Please check there websites and apply if interested.
5. Grants Writing: This is also a most sought skill by NGOs because of the nature of their work. They require candidates with experience in proposal, funding and grant writing. So if you want to increase your chances of getting an NGO job then make plans to take an online course, specialized course and attend workshops to sharpen your grant writing skills. These skills will help you to complete an application process for funding provided by an institution such as a government department, corporation, foundation or trust.
Further, project managers, communication specialists, International Development Practitioners, Business Administration, Economist, Public Administrators and other persons interested should think of pursuing this course.
Idealist is looking for a Grant Writing Intern and the deadline is on 6th June, Catholic Relief Services is looking for a Deputy Chief of Party, Operational Excellence, DFAP, DRC and Plan International is looking for a Grants Officer for its Nilinde project, the closing date for applications is on 6th May 2016.
You know now what courses are essential to enhance your career, so enroll now and grow in a career you love!