Description of Organization
Art and Abolition exists to restore justice to young girls who have survived sexual violence as a result of poverty. We do this through Art Therapy, Education and Economic Empowerment.
Right 2 Thrive’s mission is break the cycle of poverty through multi-generational empowerment and education. We work to keep families together by providing education scholarships to youth and teaching business skills to parents.
Art & Abolition and Right 2 Thrive are currently seeking a female Social Worker. The direct service position is responsible for providing social services to families and youth who participate in programs of both organizations. The social worker will provide preventive and coaching services for the social wellbeing of these families and youth.
Right 2 Thrive works in Dagoretti District of Nairobi, Kenya. Art and Abolition works in Sinai (Eastlands) Nairobi and Mombasa.
Social Work Job Responsibilities
- Identifies individuals and families in need of social work services.
- Maintains up-to-date files on each client and ensures confidentiality.
- Establishes detailed action plans for all clients.
- Monitors planned actions and clients’ progress on regular basis.
- Provides preventive group activities such as talks on relevant topics; and/ or Trainings
- Advises management on needed actions to take based on observations.
- Creates a social map of the area with relevant organizations for referral of specific situations;( psychologists, counselors, doctors, etc.)
- Works alongside the relevant organizations to ensure the needs of each client is met according to the action plan.
- Fosters client’s adjustment through coaching and mentoring techniques.
Qualifications for the Social Work Job
- Bachelor’s degree in Social Work or relevant work experience in the field.
- One year and above experience in social services.
- Certificate of good conduct from CID
- Proficient in spoken and written English and Swahili.
- Ability to engage and defuse crisis situations.
- Ability to work effectively with adolescents, families, professionals, and other personnel from a wide range of cultural, social, and economic backgrounds.
- Minimal travel within Kenya required.
- Working knowledge of social theories and practices.
- Ability to work well without supervision and meet deadlines.
- Distinguish between priorities and less urgent situations
Skills and Competencies Required
- Excellent communication skills
- Conflict resolution skills
- Strong observational, analytical and listening skills
- Focus on results
- Ability to make decisions
- Ability to persuade
- Creative thinking
How to Apply
Qualified applicants should send their CV, including contact details of two referees to email@example.com by Friday 6th January, 2017.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.