Administrative Support Internships jobs in UN
INTERN ADMINISTRATIVE SUPPORT, I (Temporary Job Opening)
Job Code Title: INTERN ADMINISTRATION
Department/Office: UNITED NATIONS OFFICE AT NAIROBI
Duty Station: NAIROBI
Posting Period: 10 March 2017 24 March 2017
Job Opening Number: 17AdministrationUNON75549JNairobi (O)
United Nations Core Values: Integrity, Professionalism, Respect for Diversity
Your application for this internship must include:
- A Completed application (Personal History Profile) through the UN careers Portal. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed. In your Personal History Profile (PHP), be sure to include all past work experiences, IT Skills, and three references.
- Proof of enrollment (click on link to access and attach to your application: http://unon.org/content/internshipprogramme),
- List the IT skills and programmes that you are proficient in using, and Explain why you are the best candidate for the internship and what you hope to gain from the internship.
- A certified copy of degree certificate (if you have already graduated).
Due to a high volume of applications received, ONLY successful candidates will be contacted.
Org. Setting and Reporting
The United Nations Office at Nairobi (UNON) is the UN headquarters in Africa and the representative office of the SecretaryGeneral. We support programme implementation of the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) and the UN Human Settlements Programme (UNHABITAT) globally, as well as other UN offices in Kenya, by providing Administrative, conference, Security and information services (www.unon.org).
The UNON Central Support Services Commercial Operations Unit internship is for 3 months with a possibility for extension depending on the needs of the Organization.
The Internship is UNPAID and fulltime.
Interns work five days per week (35 hours) under the supervision of a staff member in the department or office to which they are assigned.
Responsibilities for the Administrative Support Internship
- Daily responsibilities will depend on the individual’s background; the intern‘s assigned office as well as the internship period.
- Under the direct supervision of the United Nations Office at Nairobi Commercial Operations Unit – COU, the intern will:
- Assist with Supplier contract administration.
- Assist with drafting office correspondence.
- Maintaining and updating Customer database for the United Nations Commissary.
- Filing relevant accounting documents and correspondence.
- Undertaking any other office administration duties that may be assigned by the Supervisor.
- Speaks and writes clearly and effectively
- Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately
- Asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having twoway communication
- Tailors language, tone, style and format to match the audience
- Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed
- Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals
- Solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others
Places team agenda before personal agenda
- Supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position
- Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings
- Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients ” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view
- Establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect
- Identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions
- Monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems
- Keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects
- Meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
Qualifications for the Administrative Support Internship
Applicants must at the time of application meet one of the following requirements:
- Be enrolled in a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher);
- Be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree program (minimum Bachelor’s level or equivalent);
- Have graduated with a university degree and, if selected, must commence the internship within a oneyear period of graduation.
- Be computer literate in standard software applications.
- Have demonstrated keen interest in the work of the United Nations and have a personal commitment to the ideals of the Charter;
- Have a demonstrated ability to successfully interact with individuals of different cultural backgrounds and beliefs, which include willingness to try and understand and be tolerant of differing opinions and views.
- Graduate and 4th or 3rd year undergraduate in Business Administration.
- Applicants are not required to have professional work experience for participation in the programme.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For this internship, fluency in oral and written English is required. Knowledge of another UN Language is desirable
How To Apply
Click here to apply. Potential candidates will be contacted by hiring manager directly for further consideration.