Are you working on a CV right now and are not sure what to include? Do you need some inspiration for what makes a great CV?
Ms Brenda Mielizu, a career advisor at Corporate Staffing Services who helps job seekers and professionals in writing their CVs notes, “A CV is like a sales pitch where you convince a potential employer that you are the right candidate for the job. Do it right and you have got yourself an interview, but do it wrong and you are on an endless road of frustrations and heartaches.”
To help you come up with a good CV, here is a guideline on writing your CV, plus a professional CV sample that you can use.
How to Write A CV For A Job Application
The job market is very competitive. As such, you cannot afford to make any errors no matter how tiny you think they are.
To avoid this, here is a simple CV format that you should have:
1. Contact Information
This is the first thing that an employer sees when they open your CV. It should include your full name, email address and phone number, as illustrated in the CV sample below.
Unless the employer asks for personal details such as marital status and gender, do not include them.
2. Career objective or profile summary
Placed right after the contact details, a profile summary is a detailed paragraph explaining who you are as a job seeker and what makes you the ideal candidate for that position.
This section should also describe your career goals now and in future and what you are looking to gain in your career journey.
3. Educational/academic qualification
In the sample of CV for job application below, you will see that the educational background section includes relevant information in chronological order starting with the most recent.
It is good to note that KCPE qualifications do not matter. Just include a degree and KCSE. As you grow in your career and add more knowledge, you will get to eliminate some things that are not relevant to the opportunity you are applying for.
4. Work experience
In a market where experience matters more than papers, this is the most important section in a CV. This sections should include positions that you have held that are relevant, the responsibilities you had and achievements made.
5. Trainings and Workshops attended
If you have attended any trainings in your line of career, you can place them after the work experience. Trainings add key skills that employers look for in candidates like leadership, communication, IT skills among others.
Hobbies are meant to complement your experience and should, therefore, include those that are related to your career e.g. blogging, programming, graphic design etc.
Finally, the final piece of the puzzle. The kind of referees you choose can either help you land that job or can end up ruining your chances. Referees should be people you have worked with mostly on supervisory level and someone you know can vouch for your great work ethics.
Here Is A Good CV Example For A Job Application You Can Use
When all is said and done, here is the best CV sample for you:
Lucas Job Seeker
P. O. Box 453 – 00100, Nairobi
Tel: 0725 555555
As a Customer Service professional with a degree in Communications and Public Relations from University of Kenya, I have amassed 2 plus years experience from working at a Nunua Online Shopping Platform. This has enabled me to develop specific customer service experience and add valuable transferable skills necessary for this industry. I possess mastery of customer database management; which would come in handy in achieving your organization’s goals and objectives. Currently out of work due to a layoff, looking for a customer care executive position to improve operations, increase profitability and enhance growth.
- Degree in Public Relations and Communication, University of Nairobi, December 2016, 2nd class Honors
- Diploma in Customer Service, College of Public Relations, August 2015
- GHC Boys’ High School, Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education, B+
Key Competencies and Skills
- Effective planning and organizational skills
- Creativity and innovation
- Ability to lead and manage a team of professionals
- Ability to interact with a diverse group of people
- Excellent oral and communication skills
- Good interpersonal skills
- Proficiency in MS Office suite of packages
- Presentable and a fast thinker with excellent conflict resolution skills
- Excellent market and industry knowledge in customer service.
- Customer Service Intern
Nunua Online Shopping Platform January 2017- May 2017
Duties and Responsibilities
- Made and received customer fulfillment calls, quality calls, renewal calls, follow up and Cold calls.
- Gave transfers to the senior Agent / supervisor.
- Responded promptly to customer inquiries.
- Handled and resolved customer complaints.
- Processed orders, forms, applications and requests.
- Obtained and evaluated all relevant information to handle product and service inquiries.
- Attracted 100 potential customers by answering product and service questions;
- Developed and implemented customer service policies and procedures at Nunua Online Shopping Platform reducing negative customer feedback by 10%
If you are struggling with having a good CV layout, use the above professional CV sample for your next job application and be on your way to getting interviews whenever you apply.
Still struggling to find a curriculum vitae example that works for you? Have your CV reviewed by a career advisor today. Click here now to get help.