Head of Procurement at AGRA
JOB REFERENCE OPERATIONS – 10/2017
Founded in 2006, the Alliance for a Green Revolution in Africa (AGRA), is an African-led African-based organization that seeks to catalyze Agriculture Transformation in Africa. AGRA is focused on putting smallholder farmers at the center of the continent’s growing economy by transforming agriculture from a solitary struggle to survive into farming as a business that thrives.
As the sector that employs the majority of Africa’s people, nearly all of them small-scale farmers, AGRA recognizes that developing smallholder agriculture into a productive, efficient, and sustainable system is essential to ensuring food security, lifting millions out of poverty, and driving equitable growth across the continent.
To support this transformation from an operations perspective, AGRA is seeking to recruit an experienced and exceptional individual to the position of Head of Procurement.
Head of Procurement Job Responsibilities
- Lead in the procurement strategy development and execution for AGRA
- Lead all global procurement efforts to efficiently and effectively enable spend owners to maximize the value they receive from suppliers to meet their objectives
- Work with each unit to lead centralized direct and indirect sourcing and procurement efforts. This will include working with the internal stakeholder from initial need identification to final goods or service delivery to meet stakeholder needs
- Support demand management (via stakeholder management) and then drive supply analysis/strategy, supplier identification, sourcing execution (i.e., “tendering”), contract negotiation, delivery planning and monitoring, purchase execution, and then ongoing performance management and improvement
- Drive and support development, implementation and continuous improvement of best-practice based policies and processes
- Lead and provide adequate information to drive optimal selection and management of procurement systems
- Develop, coach, mentor and manage procurement staff in sourcing, contracting, transactional purchasing, supplier management, and miscellaneous internal procurement support activities
- Manage budgets for categories under management – and for procurement itself
- Develop benchmarks and scorecards to be used for continuous improvement of the procurement processes in the institution
- Coordinate preparation of the annual procurement plans; ensure that the plan is followed, including regular meetings with Division and Departmental heads to update the plan.
- Regularly update the procurement procedures and guidance in the manuals and submit any changes for review to the Procurement Committee, Management Committee and the COO for final approval by the President.
- Plan, organize and lead the bid solicitation process by working with relevant program/units in drafting and issuing RFQ, RFP, establishing a Technical Evaluation Panel (TEP), developing bid evaluation criteria and guiding clients on processes involved.
- Analyse procurement requirements and select the most appropriate methods based on interpretation and assessment of established policies, practices, and experience.
- Support bid evaluation committees, ensure the integrity of the competitive process, facilitate bidder debriefings, and exercise appropriate judgment and tact while ensuring to protect confidential information.
- Manage initiatives such as surveys, cost benefit analysis, trainings or open days that seek to improve knowledge of procurement processes, policies and procedures with the overall aim of improving experience for both internal and external clients.
- Acts as the key contact for any internal and external procurement audits. Take responsibility for keeping a running list of previous audit recommendations and the status of their implementation.
- Acts as the secretary of AGRA’s procurement committee; take minutes, keep records & communicate PC’s decision to programs/units.
- Conduct all negotiations or recommend a negotiating team where applicable and negotiate contractual agreements with suppliers to ensure that service, added value, lowest total cost while ensuring quality is not compromised. Support programs/department in contract negotiation.
- Develop and manage supplier relationships to deliver breakthrough performance in cost, service and quality.
- Monitor contract management by user departments to ensure implementation of contracts in accordance with the terms and conditions of the contracts and report any significant departures from the terms and conditions of the contract to the technical Director.
Qualifications for the Head of Procurement Job
- Master’s degree in Supply Chain Management, Accounting, Economics, Business Administration, International Development, Finance, Public Administration or any related discipline, from a reputable institution
- Bachelor’s degree in supply chain management, economics, finance, operations, or a related area from a reputable institution
- At least 12 years of supply management experience, with 5 years of experience at a senior management level.
- Certifications required e.g CPSM from the Institute for Supply Management or a near equivalent from firms such as the American Purchasing Society, Chartered Institute of Purchasing and Supply, International Purchasing and Supply Chain Management Institute, The International Federation of Purchasing and Supply Management and others.
- Team player with strong leadership skills
- Solid operational management and general business skills
- Working knowledge of finance and/or accounting in terms of budgeting, cost management, financial accounting, treasury, risk management, etc.
- Excellent communication, listening skills that allows you to get the “voice of the internal customer” and to understand the company culture and how to best communicate procurement’s value to it
- In-depth knowledge of sourcing and procurement principles and best practices
- Strong negotiation skills to use for large commercial deals
- Experience with modern sourcing and procurement systems
- Familiarity with relevant legislative and regulatory requirements, as well as understanding of standard contractual terms and conditions to mitigate legal risk
- Strategic mindset and problem-solving skills
- Change management skills and self-awareness to take varying approaches with a dynamic set of stakeholders (e.g., expert model vs. facilitative model)
Analytical mindset, but also creativity to seek, encourage and find non-traditional approaches that have historically “boxed-in” procurement
How to Apply
If you believe you are the right candidate for this position, kindly submit your application with a detailed CV (including your e-mail address and telephone contacts to firstname.lastname@example.org noting to quote the job reference number.
To be considered, applications must be received on or before August 25, 2017.