Community Health Worker Jobs at SHOFCO
Location: Mathare, Nairobi
Reports to: Health Services and Program Officer
Hours: Mon- Fri, 7:30am to 3:30pm, 2 Saturdays a month
Main Purpose of the Job
The primary duty of the SHOFCO Community Health Workers is following up on selected patients in their homes to ensure treatment adherence and recovery and report to any complications to physicians.
CHWs are also responsible for clinical outreach and active case finding, conduct relevant health talks/topics will be scheduled by the CHW Supervisor and performed by the CHWs in the clinic and throughout the community.
Key Performance Indicators
- No of patients referred
- No of families visited at home
- No of defaulters traced
- No of clients with special needs linked to the facility
- No of h/educations conducted
- Accurate community diagnosis and referral
- Accurate identification of health need and referral
- Timely linkage of clients
- Awareness creation and education
- Community acceptance of services offered at the facility
- Awareness of good health practices at the community
- Good health seeking practices at the community
- Community surveys
- Timely departmental reports
- Following the right channel of reporting issues
- Proper and timely reporting of incidences
Community Health Worker Job Responsibilities
- Advice the community members on health matters and accessible health services available at the facility.
- Conduct community mobilization and create awareness on services available at the facility.
- Identify clients with health needs and refer to the facility, accompanying them where necessary
- Conduct community screening services for people in need of treatment, special services like nutrition, ANC, family planning, gender violence issues, cervical cancer screening and immunization and refer appropriately.
- Provide health preventive and promotive messages to the community
- Identify the particular healthcare needs of a community and make referrals appropriately
- Sensitize the community on health risks , nutrition, immediate management of accidents and first aid
- Act as a link between the community and the health facility
- Follow up of very terminally sick clients i.e. CCC, diabetics, hypertensives etc. and support appropriately.
- Conduct home visits to clients with special needs to assess progress and adherence
- Maintain updated client records with plans, notes, appropriate forms or related information
- Advice clients or community groups on issues related to sanitation or hygiene, such as flossing or hand washing
- Offer health talks to clients both in the facility and the community
- Advice clients or community groups on issues related to social or intellectual development such as education, childcare or problem solving.
- Trace clients who miss appointments and defaulters for those on nutrition, ANC, PMTCT, Postnatal and CCC follow up.
- Accompany very ill clients from the community to the facility and also referred clients where relatives are not available or are not reliable
- Perform any other duty assigned by the manager/team leader
Qualifications for the Community Health Worker Job
- Communication Skills
- Reporting skill
- Capacity building ability
- Previous experience working as a community health worker will be an added advantage
How to Apply
Interested applicants should send their applications together with a detailed CV to the HR Manager email@example.com quoting their current and expected salaries. Applications without this information will not be considered. DO NOT ATTACH TESTIMONIALS at this point. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Applications should reach us no later than 17th November 2017.