When applying for a job, your CV is what determines whether you get an interview invite or not. Therefore, the CV format you use should be well written and have all the important information. In this article check out a sample CV format to help guide you as well as mistakes you should avoid making when rafting your resume.
CV Writing Mistakes Kenyan Job Seekers Make
1. Not elaborating their experience
Most job seekers end up just highlighting the positions they have held in other companies. This is completely not useful! An employer is interested in what you can bring to the company.
You need to elaborate on the duties and tasks you performed while working in the positions you have held and your achievements.
What you put here will either impress the recruiter or not. So be sure to give enough information.
2. Choice of referees
Most job seekers are into the idea that employers rarely contact your referees. They therefore never really take time to decide who to use as their referees.
Deciding who your referees are is very important because they could make or break you. You don’t want people who will speak ill of you to your potential employer.
3. Leaving out crucial details
A good CV format should have all your contact information, a profile summary, education and work experience and an updated list of referees. Not having any of these in your CV will seriously hurt your chances of getting the job.
Imagine the recruiter wants to call you for an interview but your CV has no way of contacting you. This means you miss the opportunity.
4. Inappropriate/unprofessional email addresses
Making job applications using very unprofessional email addresses such as firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org show the recruiter that you are unprofessional and you lack seriousness which means, you will not get that job.
Free Sample CV Format To Help Guide You
PO. BOX 3085-60200, Meru.
Tel: +254 716 048 039
A keen to detail and result driven accountant with experience navigating through the roles accorded to me meticulously and diligently. My course work and work experience saw me grow in areas such as; accounting and finance. Some of the deliverables I was engaged include; Capturing information into the database, assisted in processing loans to the clients, evaluation of loan applications to determine loan eligibility and offering financial advice and recommendations to clients by systematically guiding them on how to use the acquired capital to grow their business in order to achieve profits. In addition, I also possess the ability to lead teams and ensure proficiency in all the duties they undertake. I am now seeking an opportunity in a suitable position in Accounting where I can implement sound Accounting Policies and interpret guidance in regards to financial transactions.
Year of birth:
- Bachelor of Economics – KLM University; 2011 to 2015
- Certified Public Accountants, CPA 4-MPT 2012 to date
- Certificate in Computer Studies- JP College; 2010
- Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education – GHC Girls High School; 2006 to 2009
KEY SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES ACQUIRED
- Economics: I am highly skilled in all elements of economics for example micro and macro economics, production and consumption.
- Accounting: Skilled in handling general accounting principles such as reconciliations, petty cash management, preparing management accounts, the general ledgers, balancing of accounts among other accounting functions.
- Financial skills: I have gained substantial knowledge in summarizing financial status by collecting information and preparing statement of financial position, monitoring actual expenditure against the budget
- Auditing: Knowledgeable in statutory audit; verifying the reliability, authenticity and integrity of payment vouchers, schedules and financial data and providing independent assurance to the management on the implementation and effectiveness of the internal control system.
- Financial Accounting: Knowledge in analyzing business operations, trends, costs, revenues, financial commitments, and obligations to project future revenues and expenses or to provide advice.
- Tax and statutory: Well versed in various taxes (VAT, income tax and withholding) with knowledge in the preparation of statutory payments i.e. (PAYE, NSSF, NHIF) and payroll.
- Detail oriented: I value accuracy and ensure every duty I undertake pays close attention to details and captures all the valuable data in terms of cost monitoring and compilation of detailed financial reports
- Integrity and Discipline: High levels of integrity demonstrated in my ability to follow instructions from my superiors without question as well as handling financial information with confidentiality.
- ICT Competence: Proficient in navigating MS. Office suites, email and internet. Additionally, I am also skilled in using sage pastel and QuickBooks.
XYZ Limited; January 2016 to date
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Capturing information into the database.
- Assisted in processing loans to the clients.
- Evaluation of loan applications to determine loan eligibility.
- Offering financial advice and recommendations to clients by systematically guiding them on how to use the acquired capital to grow their business in order to achieve profits.
- Conducting research on market intelligence and writing reports.
ABC Advocates; April 2015 to December 2015
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Overseeing daily transactions and maintaining financial statements of the firm.
- Reconcile customer’s accounts and payments.
- Provide daily reports on clients.
- Preparing requested quotations.
ECD Advocates; February 2012 to May 2012
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Maintained books of accounts.
- Prepared financial Statements.
- Processing customers’ invoices and filing payment vouchers.
Mrs. Clare Wanjiru
Director School of Economics
Mr. David Mugo
Chief Executive Officer
SEE ALSO >>> 5 Sections You Need To Remove From Your CV Immediately!
There you go you can use this sample CV format to come up with your own resume. If you feel you are unable to come up with a good CV format you can get in touch with a CV writing professional who will draft one on your behalf.