Procurement Officer Job at Rafiki wa Maendeleo Trust
Rafiki wa Maendeleo Trust (RWMT) is an organization operating in Rarieda Sub-County in Siaya County. The organization began as a grass-root CBO in 2003 to assist orphaned children and youth through community empowerment.
Rafiki wa Maendeleo Trust has since developed into a dynamic organization, focused on empowerment and development, both within the community and the organization. We are currently seeking to recruit talented, progressive and team-oriented individual to fill the position of Procurement Officer, based in Rarieda Sub-County in Siaya County, Kenya.
Due to the rural set-up and challenges associated therewith, all applicants should have a personal commitment to working with the vulnerable community. Applicants should take time to reflect and make sure they resonate strongly with Rafiki wa Maendeleo Trust’s vision and mission before considering to apply.
Vision: People believe in themselves and work together to build a vibrant and progressive community.
Mission: Empower people and build their capacities to create positive change for children and youth within their community.
Purpose Of The Position
To ensure smooth and efficient purchasing for the organization, by developing, coordinating and implementing procurement plans and procurement activities arising from the organization’s needs.
- Take lead of the procurement operations in the organization from understanding procurement requests, sourcing for quotes, engaging procurement committee and ensuring that the desired products are delivered as per specifications and budgets.
- Prepare procurement status reports to reconcile with the procurement plan and report on any deviation.
- Participate in the formulation and implementation of Procurement management strategies and policies as well as general financial policies and procedures.
- Schedule deliveries in liaison with the requesting department, the Finance Inventory Assistant and the Security Guards.
- Compile weekly, monthly and quarterly procurement reports for the review of the Management team.
- Regularly update and maintain the procurement status board to ensure all staff have the visibility of the status of their procurement reports.
- Plan and organize weekly meetings with the Procurement Committee to ensure all procurements are properly reviewed and approved in a timely, efficient, and transparent manner.
- Liaise with and support respective departmental leads to understand and coordinate their respective procurement requests including timelines, specifications and budgetary allocations amongst others.
- Review requisitions for completeness and accuracy; follow up on discrepancies and specifications with the initiating department; identify available suppliers for each requisitioned item.
- Work closely with the Inventory Assistant to establish stock levels of the requested items in the stores before commencing the procurement process.
- Process requisitions into procurement analysis & local purchase orders (LPOs) using QuickBooks.
- Work closely with requesting departments to ensure quarterly procurement requests are submitted timely, accurately and appropriately acted upon. Classify and prioritize procurement requests accordingly to facilitate smooth running of the organization.
- Prepare and maintain templates, documents, and tools to facilitate Request for Quotations/Proposals, Initiations to Bid and co-ordinate the processes for the same.
- Take charge of necessary relevant procurement documents and hand over the same to the Finance Assistant – Payables to support financial transactions between the organization and its suppliers.
- Maintain records to ensure that procurement process, decisions and contractual agreement are accurately documented for accountability and audit purpose.
- Prepare or ensure that contractors/suppliers contracts are prepared whenever necessary and are signed off in good time.
- Keep and update supplier database containing key supplier information.
- Support the Operations Manager, to ensure all Procurement documents are up-to-date, including the Procurement Policy, procurement templates, and procurement process flows.
- Ensure all documentations are availed to the procurement committee for an annual supplier verification process.
Risk and Inventory Management
- Ensure that the project does not suffer financial/material loss through fraud, error or any other means.
- Assist in carrying out spot checks on inventory with departments in liaison with Finance Assistant – Inventory and report any variations to the relevant staff.
- Liaise with respective departmental leads, Supervisor and Finance Inventory Assistant to verify current inventory levels and keep records to prevent inventory gaps.
- Inform management on a timely manner of any breeches in the procurement process or suspected Fraud.
- Assist in developing, coordinating and implementing disposal plans when called upon.
Other duties and responsibilities
- Assist in the smooth running of (Rafiki wa Maendeleo Trust) RWMT by providing administrative and logistical support, as needed.
- Take charge of the office phone and ensure that its use is appropriately recorded.
- Attend relevant workshops/forums/events whenever called to.
- Actively participate in the Saturday Psycho-Social Support Program for Orphaned and Vulnerable Children and build the community’s capacity to eventually run the Saturday PSS on their own.
- Perform any other duties and responsibilities which may be assigned by the Supervisor and management from time to time and which are related to the achievement of RWMT’s mission and vision.
- At least CPA 2.
- Diploma in Purchasing & Supplies, Procurement or any other relevant discipline is an added advantage.
- At least two (2) years’ experience in a similar position.
- Able to uphold and respect procurement ethics and to conduct activities with Honesty, Transparency and Integrity.
- Knowledge of procurement processes, policies and procedures
- A self-starter, who is able to plan and manage his/her own work, takes initiative and strives to meet deadlines. Preferably someone with good negotiation skills.
- Ability to work effectively in a multicultural environment and within a team.
- Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously to meet goals and deadlines without compromising the desired detail and work quality.
- MUST be Proficient in Microsoft Office programs, such as Excel as well as accounting software, such as QuickBooks
- Able to apply Generally Acceptable Accounting Principles (GAAP) and general Accounting Knowledge in work situations.
How to Apply
Interested candidates are requested to email: (1) Cover Letter, stating the position for which you are applying, along with current remuneration or last remuneration, if currently unemployed, (2) Three paragraph motivation statement and why you feel you meet the requirements, (3) Three references and (4) An updated C.V. to: email@example.com by 23rd February, 2018.
IMPORTANT: All four (4) above mentioned steps must be followed. Applications not following all steps will automatically be disqualified.