By Perminus Wainaina
What is a great career to you? What do you term as a successful career in your field?
Irrespective of the career you’re in, you’re trying to scale the heights and be a success in your career.
But, why exactly are you trying to be great? What are some of the benefits associated with a great and successful career?
- Recognition – in any field, there are those professionals that are easily recognized by people within and outside the field. When you’re a success in your career, you’ll be easily recognizable.
- Earning a higher pay – another benefit that comes with a great career is higher pay. Depending on the field you’re in, you could also receive bonuses and allowances.
- Being top of your field – in every profession, there are those are regarded as the top. When you excel in your career, you’ll also get to be to of your field.
- You’ll become an expert – every industry has got its own experts that help shape the future. These experts are also queried about their opinions and input.
- You’ll be in demand – a key benefit of being a success in your career is you’ll always be in demand. Companies will fight over to have and retain you.
With such benefits, it’s no wonder everyone is trying to be the greatest in their field.
How then, do you ensure you are successful in your career? How do you become a great accountant, teacher, or designer? Here are a few tips that will get you to the top of your field.
1. Get a mentor/coach
Do you want to be the CEO of a company one day? Do you want to run your own business?
The best way to start is by getting a mentor. A mentor will help align your career aspirations and guide you on the path.
Some professionals start out on their own. This can be equated to going on a trip to an unknown place, and not taking a guide with you.
When you want to go to a place you’ve never traveled, you should first get someone who has been there, and let them guide you on what you should do, what to bring along, and generally what to expect along the journey.
To be successful in your career, get a mentor who has gone before you and knows what to expect.
Read on to see strategies for building a great career this year.