Reports to: Country Financial Controller – Kenya
Duty Station: Nairobi
Starting Salary of the Pay Grade – Kes 291,637
One (1) Year Fixed Term Renewable Contract
Medical Cover (Principal + 2 Dependants)
Pension After Confirmation of Appointment
Group Life Assurance Cover
Group Personal Accident Cover
To assist the Country Financial Controller in the day-to-day operations of the accounts and finance function including but not limited to compliance, controls, donor and partner management, reporting, budgets and staff capacity building. Ensure all relevant financial compliance and audit requirements are adhered to while ensuring all financial data are accurately captured in the Concern financial system.
S/he will provide support & guidance to senior managers, budget holders in donor compliance issues and budget monitoring. The incumbent will oversee the completion of Kenya management accounts by due date and distribution to budget holders and, prepare draft Financial Report Package and Budget for review by the Country Financial Controller as per Concern cycle
Budgets and Budget Revisions as per Concern Budgeting Cycle
- Follow up on timey submission of budgets from budget holders and undertake review of draft budgets to confirm that it reflects as accurately as possible the financial impact of proposed activities
- Assist in consolidating finalized Budget Data in to the standard budget pack.
- Prepare the budget in a manner ready to be imported in to the MGP system.
- Import the budget to the system (MGP) in consultation with the CFC
- Generate revised budget codes based on revised budget
- Ensure appropriate and updated soft and hard copy filing and documentation of the budget information exists.
Financial Reporting Pack (FRP) as per Concern Reporting Cycle
- Assist the CFC during financial report (FRP) preparations by producing a draft FRP for review with the CFC
- Assist in addressing FRP review feedback from HQ
- Properly file the final FRP after feedback both in soft and hard copies
- Undertake periodical joint review (at least quarterly) of management accounts with budget holders based on agreed upon arrangements
Donor Management (Budgeting, Reporting, Filing)
- Ensure all relevant donor guidelines, policies, circulars and procedures are readily available, streamlined, complied with during both planning, implementation and closeout of grants.
- Liaise with Programmes and Prepare/ update a schedule of all reports to be submitted during the year. Ensure that donor report are submitted as per in-country and Dublin guidelines
- Participate in periodic joint review of donor reports with budget holders upon arrangements
- Perform budget eligibility tests against donor guidelines/requirements during new budget development
- Represent finance in new proposal/budget development process
- Ensure appropriate and updated soft and hard copy filing and documentation regarding donor budget and report exists
- Acting as Country Financial Controller in his/her absence
- Managing direct reports to ensure delivery of results
- Coaching and mentoring finance staff that has potential to rise to more senior level positions in the organization.
- Provide induction on finance for newly joined and maintain up-to-date induction materials
- Assist in development of the capacity of local finance team in the HO and programme field offices to ensure a high standard of financial management is maintained.
- Participate in facilitating/organizing training to finance and non-finance managers in consultation with the CFC
Other Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist in the management of audit (internal and external) process
- Pay regular supervisory field visits
- Represent the Finance Department internally and externally
- Maintain good communications within the team and ensure that all information is shared within the team
- Ensuring the non-disclosure of any information acquired in the course of duty, relating to the practices and business of Concern Worldwide, to any other person or Organization except in normal execution of the above duties
- Ensuring strict guardianship and security of financial data and documents at all times, including secure storage, accurate & complete filing and limiting access to the finance office to authorized personnel only
- Ensuring strict adherence to Concern Kenya Financial Procedures and Fraud Policy and remaining within the boundaries of these policies at all times
- Ensuring, along with all staff, that all activities are implemented and managed in a transparent participatory manner and in line with Concern Worldwide policies and procedures
- A Degree in Commerce, Finance, Accounting or related field
- CPA (K) or ACCA professional certification
- At least seven (7) years’ experience working in a similar role. Experience in an international NGO that works with and through partners is preferred.
- Knowledge of international donors’ (e.g. DFID, ECHO, USAID/OFDA, UNICEF etc.) rules, tools and templates
- Proficient in computer software applications including at least one accounting/financial software, preferably Microsoft Great Plains (MGP), Word and Excel
- Confidentiality, integrity, accountability and attention to detail
- Strong communication, interpersonal, organization and planning skills
- Fluent in both spoken and written English and Kiswahili.
This job description is not exhaustive and may be revised by the line manager from time to time.
Interested candidates, who meet the above requirements, should send a CV and Cover Letter
only to email@example.com with the subject of the email as ‘Assistant Country Financial Controller Kenya’. The closing date for applications is Sunday, 24th February 2019.
Each application should include at least three referees who can validate technical expertise. Telephone contacts must be submitted with the application.