As a fresh graduate who is yet to attend an interview, the popular phrase, “Tell me about yourself,” could be a phrase you have heard people mention.
Without any experience, you may be wondering how you will answer this question and be on your way to employment. The quality of your response is what determines half of your interviewer’s outcome.
There are various interview techniques you can include that will work in your favor and make you the best-suited candidate for the position you are applying for.
When an interviewer poses this question to you, they already know that you are a fresh graduate and thus want to use this to spot any weakness you may have.
READ ALSO >>> Common Interview Questions And Sample Answers
Here are techniques you can use to answer this common question
1. Give a brief of your career journey
As a fresh graduate, take this opportunity to speak about your education, why you chose the course you studied and any internships or volunteer work you undertook.
The point here is to explain how you got from studying to your current point. However, do not give your whole education history. For instance, the interviewer is not interest in where you went to primary school.
2. Highlight relevant experience
Have you accomplished a significant achievement? Did you build new skills or overcome challenges? Talk about your experiences and what you learned from them that will be relevant in the position you are seeking to fill.
3. Keep it short
As this is an open-ended question, you may be tempted to speak about anything. However, your ability to communicate and stay on track with your answer is something that your interviewers will be watching closely.
Only pick the relevant details.
Mistakes to avoid while talking about yourself
- Reciting the information written on your CV or cover letter
- Telling your entire life story from birth
- Answering back with a question like, “Yes, what would you like to know?”
- Presenting a long speech or a monologue featuring you
- Answering in just one line like, “I am Bryan, an excellent website designer.”
- Talking about your own views on politics, religion and race
RELATED ARTICLE >>> The Right And Wrong Way To Answer “Tell Me About Yourself” In An Interview
Sample answers to “Tell us about yourself,” for fresh graduate
- I’m currently a student at XYZ University where I am very active in the school’s student council association. As a representative for my class, I’ve helped organize various fundraising events. This has really helped me become comfortable handling money, which is a reason I think I would make a great fit as a cashier at your company.
- Hi, my name is Paul and I’m a fresh graduate of ABC University. I studied Human Resources Management because I really enjoy working with people and I’m fascinated with the role of people in the building and operating companies.
While in school, I undertook an on the job training where I worked with their recruitment team and helped coordinate the interview of candidates for cashier roles. I really understood the role and value that recruiters create and how they help ensure a company always hires the best talent.
I saw a job opportunity in your firm to be a Recruitment Assistant, and after doing my research, I saw that this is one of the best companies in the country. I feel my experience and work ethic will make me a valuable contributor here.
Going into an interview, one of the questions you should expect is to talk about yourself. Ensure you prepare beforehand and practice until you become perfect.
Contact an interview coach for help on how to answer interview questions.