Executive Director Jobs, NGO Jobs, Youth Alive Jobs
Youth Alive! Kenya (herein referred to as YAK) is a Non-Governmental Organization (NGO) that advocates for and support youth participation in decision making and development processes. The organization was formally registered as a National NGO in December 2003. The organization implements a range of projects under four thematic areas, namely, Health, Governance and Human Rights, Livelihoods and Empowerment, and Institutional Growth and Development. In fulfillment of our strategic obligations, YAK seeks to recruit a suitable person to join our dedicated and impressive team for the position of Executive Director. The successful candidate shall report to the Board of Directors and shall be responsible for the following;
Strategic and Governance Roles
- Strategic development – Responsible for guiding and supervising the development of strategy, strategic plans and organization policies, as well as the implementation of the same, in collaboration with the Board, while adapting to the changing operational
- Strategic Partnerships and Networks – Develop and maintain regular contacts with aid and development agencies and other relevant partners and maintain awareness and understanding of current issues relating to the development, locally, regionally and internationally.
- Board Secretary – The ED is the secretary to the In collaboration with the Board Chair, the ED is responsible for maintaining the Board calendar of events and communicating effectively to the Board by providing, in a timely and accurate manner, all information necessary for the Board to function properly and to make informed decisions, in accordance with the Board policy.
- Policy and System Management – Identifying and recommending to the Board new systems, procedures and processes as well as governance structures that would improve the efficiency and effectiveness of the organization
- Advocacy – Coordinating the active involvement of YAK in the advocacy of youth issues by engaging various stakeholders (industry leaders, donors, government, CSOs).
Operational and Financial Management roles
- Budgeting – Develop annual budget recommendations to the Board of Directors and ensure staff adherence to the approved
- Donor Accountability- Provide leadership over the maintenance of donor funds for the operational and fiscal integrity of the organization within policies set by the Board of Directors.
- Donor Reporting – Oversee the preparation and dissemination of financial and programmatic reports in line with both donors funding as well as the YAK Board The ED shall also be required to ensure that all accounting and finance operations, functions and reporting processes conform to donor regulations and internal policies.
- Fundraising – In collaboration with the Board of Directors, ensures that YAK’s fundraising targets and policies are clearly defined and This involves identifying opportunities and cultivating relationships with potential funders, as well as following up through writing proposals with the aim of raising funds to meet the organizations’ requirements. The ED shall also be required to support the Secretariat in proposal development and other fundraising opportunities.
- Forecasting – Effective planning, allocation, and control of the organization’s financial resources in meeting the mandate and strategic objectives of the organization
- Monitoring and Evaluation – Ensures that YAK’s programs are planned logically and that inputs, outputs, outcomes, desired impact, and key performance indicators are defined in advance for every project that YAK Ensures that a mechanism exists in which key risks and assumptions can be analyzed properly in advance.
- Audit – Overseeing effective financial and programmatic audits according to laid down organizational, donor requirements and the International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS).
- Compliance – Ensuring total compliance with all statutory requirements & relevant bodies, e.g. in the areas of taxation, labour laws, auditors’ recommendations, and other statutory requirements.
Human Resources Management and other Administrative roles
- Spearhead the recruitment of senior management officers within the organization as well as develop and review systems that ensure staff are selected, trained, developed, rewarded and appraised in a manner consistent with YAK’s values and in a way that enables YAK to achieve its goals effectively;
- Develop and review of staff contracts and job descriptions in line with the HR& Administration Policy;
- Supervise and delegate, to departmental managers where the appropriate, implementation of relevant policies to ensure that all programmes and operations run efficiently and effectively.
- In collaboration with the Finance and Administration Manager, design and oversee the implementation of continuous staff capacity building programmes;
- External and Internal Communications – collaborate and lead in effecting positive communication within and among all affiliate organizations, partners, and with member organizations
- Performing any other duties as assigned by the Board so as to effectively and efficiently manage the
- Minimum of first degree in relevant fields such as law, political science, social sciences, commerce or business administration
- Postgraduate qualifications in relevant field is an added advantage
- Proven track record of fundraising and experience in programme/project design, planning and management in a non-profit organization or private sector organization in a multi-cultural environment;
- Proven experience working with SIDA, DFID, USAID, EU, and other donor related grants and possession of an understanding of donor financial and programme requirements;
- Demonstrable involvement working in/with youth organizations, youth-serving organizations or related field and an understanding of the youth demographic;
- Ability to lead, motivate and grow a vibrant team of young dedicated employees and youth- led partner organizations;
- Experience in implementing effective administrative structures, processes, and systems in a busy non-profit organization is desirable;
- Excellent networking and relationship management skills;
- Excellent communication skills demonstrable through print or digital media;
- Proficient computer literacy skills;
- S/he should be a maximum of 32 years at the time of applying for the position
How To Apply
If you believe you are the right candidate for the job and are excited about the prospect of working with a dynamic team, please send your application to email@example.com. Applications should contain a Personal Statement (1000 Characters Max), most recent Curriculum Vitae (2pages max) and a fundraising concept note and budget (3 pages max) by 12 Noon 1st July, 2019. Application documents should be saved as one PDF File.