Chief Legal Officer Jobs, Company Secretary Jobs, Legal Jobs, KMC Jobs
JOB GROUP KMC3 REF: KMC/HRA/CS/3/5/2019 (POSITION 1)
Reporting to the Managing Commissioner, the Chief Legal Officer/Corporation Secretary will be expected to provide advice to the Board and Management on governance, legal, regulatory and compliance matters and provide corporate secretarial services to the Commission.
- Advising the Board on their duties, responsibilities and obligations, relevant laws and governance matters including implementation of Mwongozo: The Code of Governance for State Corporations.
- Coordinating the governance, legal and compliance audit.
- Assisting in preparation of Board and Committee work plans and charters.
- Assisting in carrying out Board induction, training and evaluation.
- Coordinating the timely preparation and circulation of Board and Committee meeting papers and taking minutes thereof.
- Keeping safe custody of the seal and other relevant documents.
- Overseeing the legal function and providing well researched legal advice and opinion, legal interpretation on various matters and handling legislation and litigation matters relating to KMC.
- Ensuring compliance with laws, rules and regulations by the Board and management.
- Preparing and coordinating the implementation of Intellectual Property Rights policy and guidelines for the products and services of KMC.
- Preparing, vetting and negotiating official legal documents including contracts and leases and participating in settlement and arbitration of disputes to protect the interests of KMC.
- Liaising with the office of the Attorney General and external lawyers handling legal matters on behalf of KMC and attending Court hearings.
- Preparing and implementing the Unit’s operational plan, work plan and budget.
- Ensuring risk management in the Unit.
- Overseeing the implementation of ISO Quality Management System in the Unit.
- Ensuring performance management within the Unit through a target-based system.
- Providing leadership and effective supervision to staff in the Unit.
- Performing any other duties as may be assigned from time to time.
The ideal candidate shall possess the following:
- Bachelor’s degree in Law from a recognized university.
- Master’s degree in Law from a recognized university.
- CPS qualification and member in good standing of the Institute of Certified Public Secretaries of Kenya (ICPSK).
- Diploma from the Council for Legal Education.
- A current practising certificate as an Advocate of the High Court of Kenya.
- At least (8) year’s relevant experience in legal/corporate secretarial practice four (4) of which should be in a senior management position.
- Satisfy the provisions of Chapter Six of the Constitution of Kenya, 2010.
- Certificate in Senior Management Course lasting not less than four(4) weeks from a recognized institution
Key personal attributes/functional skills
The ideal candidate should
- Be honest, trustworthy and possess a high degree of personal integrity and professionalism.
- Demonstrate sound judgment, excellent analytical, interpersonal, communication, presentation and reporting skills.
- Be results oriented and willing to multitask and meet strict deadlines.
- Have strategic leadership skills.
- Be a team player with ability to motivate staff.
- Demonstrate ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with varied stakeholders.
- Be customer centric and resourceful in problem solving.
- Advanced computer skills.
How To Apply
All candidates must meet the requirements of Chapter Six of the Constitution of Kenya on leadership and integrity, and obtain the appropriate certification from the:
- Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission
- Kenya Revenue Authority (KRA)
- Directorate of Criminal Investigations
- Higher Education Loan Board (HELB)
- Credit Reference Bureau (CRB)
Interested and qualified candidates should fill and submit hard copies of the KMC employment application form which is available on the KMC website www.kenyameat.co.ke accompanied by applications detailed curriculum vitae, academic and professional certificates, national identity card, testimonials, current and expected salary and names and addresses of three referees so as to reach the undersigned not later than 28th June 2019.
Persons living with Disabilities, Women, Youth, persons from minority and/or marginalized groups who meet the requirements of the advertised positions are encouraged to apply. Canvassing will result in automatic disqualification. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
The envelope should be marked “CONFIDENTIAL” and indicate the “REFERENCE NUMBER” of the position applied for and be addressed to:
The Managing Commissioner
Kenya Meat Commission
P.O Box 2-00204