Senior Manager, Accounting & Compliance Jobs, Business Jobs, Finance Jobs, Accounting Jobs, CPA Jobs, NGO Jobs, African Wildlife Foundation Jobs
Salary Range: Competitive
Location: Nairobi, HQ Department: Finance
Supervisor: Director Finance
Supervises: Staff Accountant, Senior Procurement Officer, Accounting Manager, Finance Assistant
The Senior Manager, Accounting & Compliance is a key member of AWF’s Financial Accounting team and will lead in the production of financial reporting and compliance. This position is responsible for oversight of the monthly accounting activity and is charged with ensuring an accurate and timely close for financial reporting. The Senior Manager, Accounting and Compliance will manage the annual organizational audit, country statutory audits and will support all donor-related audits.
The Senior Manager, Accounting and Compliance supervises all general accounting functions such as Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivables, Fixed Assets, Inventory accounting, and payroll accounting.
This position will also work closely with the Director of Finance in financial reporting and implementation of internal controls both at the Corporate and the subsidiary level. The Senior Manager, Accounting and Compliance seeks opportunities to propose and implement process improvements for all aspects of the Finance department. Occasional international and domestic travel is required.
- Contribute to the design and updating of departmental staffing structure that achieves department’s goals and objectives
- Lead, develop and motivate accounting team
- Provide staff with all relevant information necessary for them to be successful in their duties.
- Establish high level of credibility and manage strong working relationships with both internal and external stakeholders
- Ensure consistent and high level of customer service delivery
- Ensure staff members meet deadlines
- Set goals and manage team performance
- Working with the HR team and supervisor, plan staff training and development to ensure continuity of operations.
- Provide periodic training to staff on internal control procedures and accounting tools.
General Ledger Accounting
- Create and maintain organizational accounting and auditing calendar, scheduling the finance team’s monthly, quarterly and annual closing processes.
- Ensure integrity and accuracy of financial data, timely identification, and corrections of errors of transactions posted in General Ledger.
- Ensure all year-end allocations are completed in a timely manner
- Provide leadership in audit-ready monthly financial statements, in compliance with GAAP;
- Provide leadership in annual organizational audit
- Manage country audits, AWF internal audits and grant audits
- Reconcile all balance sheet accounts on a monthly basis
- Maintain net asset records for restricted and unrestricted funds.
- Support and administer filing of required reporting with the Internal Revenue Service, Government Agencies such as, USAID, EU, and Watchdog agencies.
- Oversee payroll through timely processing and compliance with respective tax laws.
Internal Controls, Compliance and Systems
- Develop and implement internal controls throughout the organization to assure protection of the organization’s assets.
- Assist line manager in the development and enhancement of accounting policies and procedures.
- Ensure that financial policies and procedures are documented and are consistent with donor regulations.
- Ensure subsidiary accounting and records comply with federal and auditing requirements.
- Participate, as needed, in planning and problem-solving meetings.
- Oversee the internal controls over financial reporting and compliance with donor requirements to ensure that controls are in place and enforced across the organization.
- Provide periodic training to staff on internal control procedures and accounting tools and ensure consistent application of internal controls throughout the organization.
- Keep abreast of changes in regulations which may affect the accounting functions of the organization.
- Organize the accounting filing structure, paper and electronic.
- In conjunction with the Director of Finance and Chief Financial Officer maintain/update financial systems.
- Ensure that AWF is tax compliant in all countries of registration
- Timely posting of pledge revenue and payments. Proactively notifying philanthropy and other teams as receivables become due.
- Oversee training of HQ and field staff on systems, tools, policies, and procedures.
- Oversee accounting and administration for corporate credit card program.
- Monitor debt levels and compliance with debt covenants.
- Work with the Accounting Manager on efficient cash management process.
- Reconcile and ensure accurate recording of revenue with philanthropy department database (Raiser’s Edge) monthly per US GAAP.
- Ensure timely posting and processing of the organization payroll.
- Ensure compliance with relevant tax regulations.
Procurement and Contracts
- Oversee AWF procurement function
- Ensure compliance with AWF best practice and donor procurement regulations
- Ensure country and donor procurement plans are in place and adhered to
- Ensure the production of procurement statistical report
- Perform other relevant duties as assigned by Director of Finance and Chief Financial Officer.
- Bachelor’s degree in business, finance, accounting or related field. Master’s degree preferred
- CPA accreditation highly preferred
- Minimum 10 years relevant working experience. At least 5 years in a management position
- A mix of Profit and nonprofit experience desired
- Must be an auditor or demonstrated audit experience
- Procurement experience is desired
- Skills & Solid knowledge of accounting standards governing not-for-profit accounting, financial reporting, procurement and audit.
- Ability to organize and synthesize large amounts of data, and present issues in a clear, concise and logical manner.
- Ability to communicate complex accounting information to non-accountants.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively assign and manage the work of others;
- International experience with specific knowledge on US tax laws a strong advantage
- Self-starter with strong decision making skills
- Highly organized and ability to meet tight deadlines
- Strong technical skills, including MS Excel, report writer tools, accounting systems, and other databases.
- Experience with MS Dynamics and Jet reports a plus
- Ability to manage competing priorities, exercise good judgment, and quickly identifies and resolves problems with minimum supervision.
- Flexibility, culturally sensitivity, and a team player
- Must have excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to interact professionally with staff, partners and donors
- As this position is heavily anchored in AWF’s conservation programs, the successful candidate must have a strong interest in and understanding of conservation.
How to Apply
Interested candidates are invited to view full Job Description and apply through https://www.awf.org/about/careers/
Please send a cover letter, your detailed CV as a single PDF document indicating daytime telephone numbers, address and names of three referees with the Job Title in the subject line. Only shortlisted candidates shall be contacted.
CLOSING DATE: JUNE 30, 2019