Event & Outreach Internships, Communication Internships, Public Relationship Internships, Journalism Internships, Internships In Kenya, NGO Jobs, UN Jobs
The United Nations Human Settlements Programme, UN-Habitat, is the agency for human settlements. It is mandated by the UN General Assembly to promote socially and environmentally sustainable towns and cities with the goal of providing adequate shelter for all.
The UN-Habitat Event and Outreach internship is for 6 months.The Internship is UNPAID and full-time. Interns work five days per week (35 hours) under the supervision of a staff member in the department or office to which they are assigned.
Under the direct supervision of the Head of Events and Outreach Unit, the intern will:
- Assist to organize outreach meetings and gathering of information and materials.
- Assist the team in organizing meetings by over-seeing logistics, preparing invitations, preparing lists of participants and other related tasks assigned.
- Assist with calendar of events, the update of the website and social networks.
- Assist with the writing, editing and communication content, including newsletters, event announcements, web content, digital content and other targeted communications.
- Assist with editing the event and registration database particularly in MS Excel.
- Assist with day-to-day coordination of events and communications (general liaison, setting up meetings).
- Assist with data back-up of the unit/division.
- Provide logistical support in the office.
- Undertake other assignments as required for the development and implementation of the work programme of the branch.
- Participate in the daily operations of the branch by supporting the staff in the performance of their tasks and responsibilities, including taking part in meetings, document reviews, etc.
- Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively. Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately. Asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication. Tailors language, tone, style and format to match the audience. Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
- Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals. Solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others. Places team agenda before personal agenda. Supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position. Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
- Client orientation: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be ‘clients’ and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view. Establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect. Identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions. Monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems. Keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects. Meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
- Applicants must at the time of application meet one of the following requirements: a. Be enrolled in a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher).
- Be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree program (minimum Bachelor’s level or equivalent).
- Have graduated with a university degree and, if selected, must commence the internship within a one-year period of graduation.
- Be computer literate in standard software applications.Have demonstrated keen interest in the work of the United Nations and have a personal commitment to the ideals of the Charter.
- Have a demonstrated ability to successfully interact with individuals of different cultural backgrounds and beliefs, which include willingness to try and understand and be tolerant of differing opinions and views.
- Preferred Areas of Studies: Journalism, Public relations, or Communications;
- Applicants are not required to have professional work experience for participation in the programme
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For this internship, fluency in oral and written English is required. Knowledge of another UN Language is desirable.
How To Apply:
Your application for this internship must include:
- A Completed application (Personal History Profile) and Cover Note, through the UN careers Portal. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
The Cover Note must include:
- Title of the degree you are currently pursuing
- Graduation Date
- IT skills and programmes you are proficient in
- Explain why you are the best candidate for this specific internship
Explain your interest in the United Nations Internship Programme, ensure to include all past work experience (if any).
- Proof of enrollment from current University (if not graduated).
- A copy of degree certificate (if you have already graduated).
Due to a high volume of applications received, ONLY successful candidates will be contacted.
Potential candidates will be contacted by hiring manager directly for further consideration.