Director Jobs, PR & Corporate Communication Jobs, Public Relations Jobs, AWF Jobs
For more than 50 years, the African Wildlife Foundation (AWF) has been a leader in African conservation and sustainable development. AWF is seeking a dynamic and high performing individual to fill the position of Director, Public Relations and Corporate Communications.
AWF has just completed a 10-year strategic vision and three-year operational plan. The plan includes a detailed and ambition strategic communications plan to achieve the following goals:
- Brand positioning: AWF brand is positioned as a homegrown voice of African conservation on the global stage, the engine to grow African conservation leadership, and as influential in sustainable development plans and projects.
- Narrative shift: Conservation viewed as integral to sustainable development in modern Africa.
- Behavior change: Behaviors change to better support wildlife and wildlands conservation.
- Capacity building: Build conservation practitioners’ (AWF’s and partners’) capacity for strategic communication.
- Marketing and fundraising: AWF donors and supporters (current and prospective) in authentic relationship with the organization.
As the team lead of the AWF global Public Relations & Corporate Communication unit, and reporting to the Vice President of Development & Public Engagement, the director is responsible for the development and implementation of a public relations strategy that increases AWF’s brand awareness, clarifies brand experience and personalizes what AWF means to communities around the world through various events, engagements, interviews, op-eds and public facing opportunities.
- Develop and implement a public relations strategy that builds AWF’s brand visibility and reputation as a thought leader among priority stakeholders including African governments, institutional and individual donors, private sector, African youth, and the communities with whom we work.
- Manage, mentor and grow a team of professional and dedicated communications experts (currently 5) as well as external vendors (PR agency and news tracking services) to maximize the value of effectiveness of our internal staff and external partners.
- Lead team in developing annual public relations and corporate communications plan and budget that details the goals, objectives, activities, tactics, messages, channels, outcomes and measurements to achieve organizational success.
- Serve as the chief public relations advisor to AWF throughout the world, providing leadership in crisis communication planning, training (plan implementation and media), media placement and overall, proactive and reactive strategic guidance.
- Understand and proactively stay abreast of all AWF programs and activities and related conservation and development issues in order to wisely advise and guide on AWF communications.
- In collaboration with program teams, development and marketing teams, and finance develop and manage a knowledge management system for the collection, storage and sharing of success stories from the country and program offices across the continent.
- Develop and support team in efficiently and effectively fielding incoming media inquiries, developing media contacts in print, television, radio and other industry and community influencers important to AWF’s mission.
- Identify challenges and emerging issues faced by the organization. Work with leadership team and staff to recognize internal and external communications opportunities and solutions, and define and execute appropriate strategies to support them.
- Exercise judgment to prioritize media opportunities, and manage the preparation of talking points, speeches, presentations, and other supporting material as needed.
- Ensure we are speaking with one voice, leveraging the best ideas and lifting up compelling stories across the AWF.
- Oversee the timely design of press materials, including media kits, op-eds, holding statements, talking points, executive media interview briefs, news releases, website content and fact sheets on organizational programs, initiatives and key messages.
- Serve as part of Development & Public Engagement senior team, acting in a highly positive and collaborative manner with colleagues throughout the organization.
- Work collaboratively with Corporate & Foundation Relations team to identify, prioritize, and develop new media partnership as well as public relations strategies to promote key initiatives such as the AWF Viacom and AWF and Irdeto partnerships, as well as other key developing initiatives.
- Plan, coordinate and actively collaborate with the Director of Marketing & Creative and team responsible for overall organizational marketing, awareness, and digital strategies to reach new audiences, cultivate prospects, build ongoing brand affinity and drive revenue growth.
- Serve as an organizational spokesperson.
- Master’s degree in communications, journalism, public policy, international development, international relations, or another relevant field.
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience in strategic communications/public relations, preferably functioning as either a key spokesperson for an international organization, or a senior staff for a local, national and international media. Minimum of 5 years’ experience in senior management.
- Strong networking and interpersonal skills with proven people, leadership, communication and negotiation skills.
- Proven ability to effectively train executive communication skills, and to enhance both name and brand recognition of an international organization.
- Outstanding written communication skills including experience preparing press releases, news articles, presentations, video scripts, reports, promotional content, and other official communications and inter-agency/organization correspondence.
- Outstanding verbal communication skills including experience giving presentations and working with the media at events and conducting interviews
- Demonstrated success pitching and working with members of the media
- Ability to work effectively and collaboratively in informal and formal teams with individuals from diverse backgrounds
- Ability to work independently and within a team environment
- Ability to proactively manage multiple work tasks in a timely, efficient manner
- International development, conservation, and non-profit experience is strongly desired
- Knowledge of French and/or other relevant languages a distinct and preferred
How To Apply
Interested candidates are invited to apply through http://www.awf.org/about/careers/
Closing Date: September 20, 2019