Head Of Legal Services Jobs, Legal Jobs, ICPAK Jobs
Job Ref: EHC/1301/19
Reporting to the Chief Manager Professional Services, he/she shall handle all legal and contractual matters at the Institute. The candidate will play a leading position by providing leadership to the legal department and spearhead legal matters at the Institute. He/she shall provide proactive, in-depth, legal, business-focused advice to the business, as well as implement initiatives and processes that enhance standards and reinforce a culture of integrity, quality, ethical behavior and responsibility across the Institute. The Head of Legal shall be tasked with analyzing and identifying the legal risks and implications of all Institute transactions, keeping the senior management in all departments of the business informed of developments in laws and regulations that potentially affect the business.
- Provide leadership in the legal services function
- Ensure compliance with the Accountants Act, the Companies Act and any relevant laws and regulations as is required.
- Oversee and ensure compliance with regulations and any conditionalities associated with membership of regional and international organizations.
- Monitoring and ensuring compliance with any obligations arising from the Standard Setting Boards (SSBs) and IFAC.
- Monitor the regulatory environment and bring to the attention of relevant departments’ laws and regulations that may impact on the Institute and its members.
- Reviewing the contractual arrangements entered into by the Institute and advice accordingly.
- Coordinate meetings for the Institute (Annual General Meeting) and other special meetings of the Institute.
- Investigation and disciplinary services in respect of cases involving members and auditing firms.
- Monitoring the implementation of code of ethics and advising on training needs required from the code of ethics
Technical Competencies & Skills required to perform in the job
- MS Office Suite – Advanced
- Corporate Governance management skills
- Report writing skills
- Facilitation skills
- Strong communication skills
- Good drafting and interpretive (re interpretation of legislation) skills
- Highly analytical
- Strong Risk Management Abilities
- High integrity
- Detail oriented
- Excellent planning and organizing skills
- Risk control oriented
- Quick Thinker
- Change management skills
- Knowledge of Corporate Governance
Behavioral Competencies required to perform in the job
- Builds Trust
- Honesty / Fairness
- Interpersonal Skills
- Positive Attitude
- Recognizes Others’ Achievements/Contributions
- Resolves Conflicts Constructively
- Respect for Others
- Supports Diversity and Understands Related Issues
- Understands Others’ Perspectives
- Commitment to Continuous Quality/Process Improvement
- Customer Orientation
- Displays Vision
- Flexibility/Adaptability to Change
In addition, he/she should have the following skills
- An experienced Advocate of the High Court with good exposure to wide complex commercial, conveyancing and debt recovery work.
- Demonstrate knowledge on corporate laws and regulations
- Ability to work independently
- Must be able to maintain confidentiality about all legal matters
- An understanding of relevant legislation, policies and procedures in Kenya and beyond together with its relevance to the accountancy profession
- Team player and effective team leader
- Ability to deliver with minimal supervision
- Strong interpersonal, analytical, verbal and written skills with experience in development of Board papers and possess excellent performance review and analytical methods and techniques
- Ability to work effectively under time pressure and constraints
- Ability to execute multiple assignments within set deadlines
- Highly motivated, energetic, go getter and a self-starter
- Strong negotiation, influencing skills, and ability to persuade people
- Strong management and supervision skills with ability to supervise a diverse team.
- Must have managed or supervised at least 5 or more staff in the past two years
- Experience in dealing with different stakeholders and diversified viewpoints, and ability to look at issues from multiple dimensions
Academic and Professional Qualifications
- Academic Qualifications: Relevant Degree and Master’s degree
- Professional qualifications: Relevant postgraduate diploma or certification qualifications
- Minimum 8 years’ experience with at least 5 years in a senior management position
- Membership to any other relevant professional body in good standing.
Candidates will be required to satisfy the requirements of Chapter six (6) of the Constitution of Kenya 2010 including
- Certificate of good Conduct from the Directorate of Criminal Investigations (CID)
- Valid Tax Compliance Certificate from the Kenya revenue Authority (KRA)
- Clearance Certificate from the Higher Education Loans Board (HELB)
- Clearance for the Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission (EACC)
- Clearance from the Credit Reference Bureau (CRB)
How to Apply
Interested candidates should email their application letter accompanied with a detailed CV in PDF format clearly indicating their current and expected salary to the following email address: email@example.com
OR Apply Now
For further information and full JDs, visit www.eaglehr.co.ke or www.icpak.com
Applications should be received on or before close of business on Wednesday 25th September, 2019.
ICPAK is an equal opportunity employer and qualified applicants from all backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.