Project Accountant Jobs, Accounting Jobs, Accountant Jobs, Finance Jobs, Business Administration Jobs, CPA Jobs, NGO Jobs, Heifer International Jobs
Heifer International is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identify, sexual orientation, age, status as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
The Project Accountant reports to the Project Manager and is primarily responsible for all the accounting, financial management, budget and reporting functions for the Hatching Hope Project (HHK). The Project Accountant plays a significant role in strengthening of core global systems by ensuring proper accounting, maintaining systems of accountability, processing of accounting information, internal and external financial reporting, cash and bank account maintenance and other financial tasks, tracking Catalytic leverage Funds (CaLF) for the project as assigned by the Project Manager.
The Project Accountant supports the Project Manager and the Director of Programmes in ensuring compliance with all the HHK and contractual obligations in procurement, financial reporting, budget management and staff time allocations for Heifer International and its partners in implementing the contract agreement. The Project Accountant also prepares the project donor reports for review by the Project Manager and the Director of Programmes and Finance Director prior to submission to the donor.
The Project Accountant also supports the project partners including the producer organizations in financial management through participating in due diligence processes, capacity building of organizations in financial management processes and supporting the tracking of their contributions to ensure the project adequately reports on these to the donor.
Essential Character Traits:
Heifer International Kenya is looking for a self-motivated, value and result oriented and an individual of high integrity and accountability to fill the position of the Project Accountant.
RESPONSIBILITIES & DELIVERABLES
Project Financial Management (30%)
- Work closely with Project Manager and the project team s to ensure that project finance and assets are well managed.
- Analyse expenses and present financial reports on monthly basis to the Project Manager and to the Director of Programme and Finance Director.
- Participate in the annual planning and development of budgets and their monthly review and tracking.
- In conjunction with Project team undertake a monthly analysis of variance and activities and present to the Project Manager and Director of Programmes.
- Assist the Project Manager and project staff in monthly explanations of variances in line with approved budgets.
- Review projects and staff payment request to ensure sound financial management systems of Heifer finance policy is adhered to on a daily basis.
- Collect and Collate Catalytic leverage funds (CaLF) in conjunction with the Livestock officer and Business officers.
- Oversee and ensure proper management and documentation of project assets in line with laid down Heifer policies.
Processing of Accounting information (30%)
- Ensure financial transactions are input into Agresso system by the 3rd of subsequent month to facilitate timely internal and external reporting.
- Ensures that all the project financial transactions are input into agresso system by 3rd of the subsequent month to enable generation of financial reports.
- Work closely with the Director of Finance and the Senior Accountant to ensure books of accounts are closed on 10th of the following month and the project monthly reports are generated.
- iMonitor the project petty cash imprest in line with cash management controls.
Monitoring of Project Budgets ( 20%)
- Monthly, quarterly monitoring of burnt rates against both Heifer and the donor project budgets to ensure efficient and effective management of all financial activities as planned in project forecast.
- Monitor the HHK project budget on monthly basis, prepare monthly reports by 10th of the subsequent month.
- Hold 12 monthly and 4 quarterly meetings every year with the Project Manager, Director of Programmes and Director of Finance to analyse project spending against the forecast budgets and provide explanations for significant variances.
- Undertake 4 quarterly support visits to project partners review, audit and assess how project funds are utilized and provide support for capacity building of the partners and give advice on how to keep books of accounts.
- Participate in organizing donor records, and ensure internal controls are maintained on a daily basis.
Participate in Risk Management (20%)
- Ensure that Heifer Financial policies are adhered to at all times.
- Ensure that all payments and commitment are in line with Heifer policies and properly approved by relevant authorities.
- Monitor and update the key partner risks issues as identified in the pre-award assessment and ongoing assessments and generate quarterly risk reports.
- Maintain sound financial management systems, and provide administration support to project on a daily basis
- Ensure that all payments are fully supported and approved appropriately i.e. field trip reports, LPOs
- In cases of suppliers, ensure that the relevant procurement processes are always adhered to where necessary.
- Participate in Implementing global procurement policies.
May perform other job-related duties as assigned by the Project Manager
- Bachelor’s Degree in accounting, Finance, Business Administration or related field required, plus one (1) year of experience; or university Diploma in Accounting, Business studies or CPA 1 with 6 years’ experience in a Non-Profit organization. Other job-related education and experience may be substituted for all or part of these requirements
- Practical experience in various aspects of accounting principles and practices with a good understanding of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) or International Finance Reporting Standards (IFRS)
- Practical experience and knowledge of donor financial reporting processes.
- Good skills and experience in financial management reporting.
- Good analytical skills and experience in project budget development and variance analysis.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Computer proficient in word processing, spreadsheets, presentation tools, electronic mail software, and knowledge of accounting software (e.g, MS Office Suite, Dos, Accounting packages such as Sun Systems, Pastel, Agresso).
- Strong organizations skills and numeracy skills.
NB: Essential Job Functions and Physical Demands:
- Preparing and presenting documents in a well-designed and attractive format with superior attention to detail.
- Maintaining to the highest level of professionalism when dealing with donors, project participants, Heifer Kenya staff, and partner organizations.
- Willingness to contribute to Heifer International principles of transparency and honestly
- Proven team and customer and customer care skills with the ability to train and work cooperatively with a diverse staff, including field staff in several locations
- Constant face-face, telephone and electronic communication with colleagues, both internal and external
- May require constant sitting and moving; working at a computer for extended periods
- Working with sensitive information and maintaining confidentiality.
- Performing multiple tasks with minimal supervision
- Willingness to work with a flexible schedule
- Willingness to travel both domestically and internationally
How to Apply: