The Finance Officer (FO) is an integral member of the AWF Central Finance team The FO will support the Classroom Africa program provide accounting and administration of AWF’s impact investments in two Conservation Bonds and provide financial management support to the central finance team in the areas of procurement, payables and general accounting as needed.
This position reports to the Senior Accounting and Compliance Manager with a matrix reporting to the Vice President, Technology and Innovation on matters of Conservation Bonds.
Occasional trips to the field may be required.
Classroom Africa Program
- Monitor all financial transactions for Classroom Africa;
- Work with Treasury team to ensure prompt payment of invoices; and
- Quality check all financial transactions to ensure proper coding and recording.
- Prepare monthly Classroom Africa financial reports including analysis on actual expenditures versus budgets, year-to-date status, and life-of-project reporting per established reporting guideline;
- Prepare monthly Classroom Africa financial statements for the program, including revenues vs. expenditures and net cash positions;
Donor Financial Reporting
- Work with Budget and Grants team to ensure proper set-up of new grants;
- Working closely with the Budget and Grants team, support development of financial reporting for donors and project-related sponsors.
Contracting and Contract Administration
- Monitor all invoices and payments to Classroom Africa contractors to ensure compliance to contracts and reconciliation of payments vs budgets.
Data Analysis, Forecasting and Budgeting
- With Program Manager, develop quarterly cash flow projections for submission to Treasury team;
- Support Program Manager with development and submission of program financial metrics;
- Work with team in budget preparation for new sites and projects; and
- Develop and run ad-hoc reports as required.
2. Conservation Bonds
- Work closely with AWF’s Director of Finance, maintain an accounting and control system, manage information system and books of account and other records that adequately and fairly present the financial condition of the companies in accordance with IFRS.
- Work closely with AWF’s Director of Finance and AWF’s external administrators in Mauritius, ensure financial and reporting compliance with Mauritius regulations.
- Produce routine monthly financials reports for management and external stakeholders.
- Facilitate audit process including securing sign off from all stakeholders, and liaising with auditors, Mauritian accountants and AWF to clear audit queries until the accounts gets sign off.
- Liaise with investment manager and investees to ensure accuracy of accounts; obtain documentation for any variations from contractual obligations.
- Work closely with AWF’s Chief Investment Officer for impact investing, maintain the Conservation Bond financial model.
3. Payables Support
- Review and post all invoices generated from purchase order in a timely manner ensuring all the appropriate supporting documents are attached in the system.
- Input and submit any direct invoices with adequate documentations and follow up with staff on any delayed approvals.
- Manage Travel Advances: Review and Process advance requests/ reimbursement and disburse cash by ensuring all the supporting documents are attached as per the AWF Travel Policy.
- Review and process credit card expenses from portal by ensuring all the necessary supporting documents are attached as per AWF Credit Card Policy.
- Reconcile employee vendor cards and travel advance holding account on a regular basis. Apply open vendor ledger entries.
- Administer petty cash float, initiate top ups and process cash payments. Maintain optimal cash balances and ensure established cash limits are observed.
- Perform petty cash reconciliation for monthly close.
- Write and dispatch manual checks and post the check payments to cash book.
- Organize deposits to appropriate AWF bank accounts for all cash and checks received in HQ and post them to the cashbook.
- Provide excellent customer service to vendors and staff by providing prompt and accurate responses to questions/requests from any AWF staff or vendors.
- Liaise with Admin team on VAT Exemptions and update vendors on the same.
- Manage Manual and Electronic documents filling.
- Assist the Finance officer to perform supplier statement reconciliation and attend to vendor queries.
- Assist Finance Officer with monthly close process by ensuring all the invoices and other treasury monthly tasks completed as per set deadlines
4. Procurement Support
- Assist with processing of staff purchase requests in the accounting system
- Assist with maintaining all vendor records, terms, contact information, etc., in AWF’s accounting system. Periodically analyze vendor purchase activity and trends.
- Support high degree of internal customer service.
- Assist with the annual pre-qualified systems for vendors.
5. Other Duties
- As assigned by the Senior Accounting and Compliance Manager and Director of Finance.
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance or Accounting, Certified Public Accountant designation, or related relevant degree required;
- At least three years of work experience in accounting, auditing, budgeting, grant financial management, cash management, or related duties;
- Knowledge of, and prior experience with, financial management software
- Basic understanding of fund account management preferred;
- Intermediate to advanced proficiency in Microsoft Excel required;
- Prior experience within a finance department of a non-governmental organization, non-profit, or other grant-based institution;
- Excellent English oral and written communication skills, interpersonal skills, flexibility, and cultural sensitivity. Knowledge of French and/or local languages preferred;
- The entrepreneurial drive and passion to maximize the potential AWF;
- Willingness to travel, sometimes to remote locations within Africa; and
- Demonstrated commitment to conservation in Africa.
- Ability to manage competing priorities, exercise good judgment, and quickly identify and resolve problems with minimum supervision;
- Excellent organizational skills, attention to detail and ability to multitask in a fast paced environment;
- Ability to manage sensitive and confidential matters with the highest level of professional;
- Ability to provide good customer service with patience and a sense of urgency;
- Ability to work as part of a team in a multicultural environment;
- Must have excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to interact professionally with staff, partners and stakeholders
How to Apply