ICIPE is a pan-African and non-profit Centre of Excellence for research and development and capacity building in insect science and its applications. Its mission is to help alleviate poverty, ensure food and nutritional security and improve the overall health status of peoples of the tropics by developing and extending management tools and strategies for harmful and useful arthropods, while preserving the natural resource base through research and capacity building. ICIPE is headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya with offices in Ethiopia and Uganda, a major station on the shores of Lake Victoria, and several other field stations in Kenya.
icipe is seeking to appoint an outstanding, dynamic and self-motivated scientist for the position of Head, Human Health Theme. The position is tenable in Nairobi, Kenya. The position will be offered for an initial contract of 3 years, renewable, subject to continued project needs, funding for the position, and performance of the staff member. A competitive and generous compensation package
that includes housing and transport allowances, education allowance, comprehensive health and life insurance cover, and an offshore retirement package (all payable in US Dollars), will be offered to the right candidate. Furthermore, the incumbent will receive paid annual vacation and return airfare for themselves and their dependents to their nominated home base each year. If the successful
candidate is appointed from outside Kenya, he or she will be offered support to relocate and settle in Nairobi. Qualified candidates from Africa (and especially females) are invited to apply. Only shortlisted candidates will be acknowledged.
The Centre has an active portfolio of human health research focusing on diseases transmitted by mosquitoes, tsetse, sandflies, and ticks. Reporting to the Director of Research & Partnerships (DRP), the successful applicant will be part of a multidisciplinary team contributing leadership and research strategy to the Centre in collaboration with icipe’s other Themes and Units. The successful candidate will develop and maintain a portfolio of research, with a focus on mosquitoes and mosquito-borne
diseases that is aligned with icipe’s strategy and goals.
The successful candidate is expected to:
- Work in collaboration with the icipe leadership team, including the Director General, Director
of Research and Partnerships (DRP) and Heads of Themes and Units, to undertake and facilitate research and capacity building activities across the Centre;
- Lead and spearhead the development of a coherent vision for the HH Theme;
- Organise a Theme structure to cost-effectively utilise resources to meet icipe’s research,
capacity and institutional building needs;
- Guide programme/project leaders within the Theme to ensure timely preparation of the
Theme’s annual work-plans, budgets, and scientific and technical reports for donors;
- Ensure Theme members continually update skills and methodologies, to keep up with global
- Promote and establish collaborative linkages with national, regional and international
institutions in the relevant fields of research of the Theme;
- Actively seek and secure external support for the activities of the Theme, including resources
to develop and grow a personal research portfolio;
- Manage and develop the staff of the Theme to create and foster a culture of science excellence and to ensure the Theme has the human resources required now and into the future;
- Facilitate peer-review of the performance of Theme members;
- Initiate periodic reviews of the performance of the HH Theme, to ensure relevance and quality;
- Act as a spokesperson and representative of the Theme;
- Ensure the Theme meets its legal and reporting responsibilities to all stakeholders, including
national licensing authorities and donors.
• PhD degree in medical or veterinary entomology, or a relevant field, from a reputable university.
• Ten (10) years’ experience gained at a senior level in either a research organisation or university.
• Excellent research and publication track record.
• Experience with downstream work that ensures impact through partnerships.
• Experience in capacity building through supervision and mentorship of MSc and PhD students.
• Excellent communication skills.
• Track record of exemplary leadership qualities is essential.
• Track record of writing successful proposals for large grants.
• Proven record of managing complex projects—with financial, human resource and administrative
Other desirable attributes
High degree of organisation, adaptability and prioritisation.
This position reports to the Director of Research & Partnerships (DRP).
The selected candidate should be available to start as soon as possible.
How to Apply
Applications will be accepted up to 20th December 2019. Shortlisting is ongoing. Interested
applicants should submit: (a) a confidential cover letter; (b) detailed CV with names and addresses of
3 referees, including e-mail addresses; and (c) a statement illustrating their suitability against each of
the listed qualifications/competencies/abilities, and skills.
Candidates are required to apply online through: http://recruit.icipe.org or by Email:
icipe is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that
values gender equity, teamwork, and respect for diversity