NOT Getting Job Interviews? Get A Professional CV Today. Click Here For Details
Medical Jobs, ILRI Jobs
ILRI works to improve food and nutritional security and reduce poverty in developing countries through research for efficient, safe and sustainable use of livestock. It is the only one of 15 CGIAR research centres dedicated entirely to animal agriculture research for the developing world. Co-hosted by Kenya and Ethiopia, it has regional or country offices and projects in East, South and Southeast Asia as well as Central, East, Southern and West Africa. www.ilri.org
The International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) seeks to recruit a Clinical officer Undertake field research activities on a range of projects at the interface between animals and humans. The incumbent should have active and current membership of the Clinical Officers’ Council of Kenya. The successful individual will work as a clinical officer, ideally in non-clinical settings (eg in the community, outside of hospitals/clinics), and preferably should have experience of working in research-based projects.
- Represent the project with study participants, and maintain good relations with participating study communities
- Undertake clinical examinations of adults and children participating in studies and record clinical findings, according to project protocols, and using electronic data recording tools
- Undertake blood sampling from adult and child study subjects according to project protocols
- Oversee the collection of fecal specimens from children and advise adult participants in appropriate self-sampling techniques
- Assume responsibility for the delivery of field material to project laboratories
- Undertake detailed socio-economic and behavioral questionnaires with study subjects
- Maintain records of locations visited
- Prescribe appropriately for diagnosed conditions or provide appropriate referrals
- Manage field clinical resources and mentor interns and students
- Take care of the project resources
- Maintain good relationships with the local health infrastructure in study zones
- Any other duties that may be assigned by the senior project staff
- Bachelor’s degree with a minimum of one-year experience Or Diploma in Diploma in Clinical Medicine from a recognized institution with three years relevant experience
- At least two years of field experience working with a research-based organization
- Experience with work on zoonotic infections will be an asset.
- Ability to work well in a multidisciplinary team
- Ability to maintain good relations with study subjects in the community
- Possess a valid driver’s license (not required, but would be an asset)
- Skilled at blood sampling
- Ability to undertake clinical diagnoses of a range of diseases based on discussions with study subjects and physical examinations
- Skilled at maintaining accurate records, including undertaking questionnaire-based surveys
- Experience with digital data entry devices for recording questionnaire responses and clinical parameters
- Ability to work with minimum supervision, sometimes for long hours, and in a diversity of urban environments (ranging from low income settlements to high income neighborhoods)
- Willingness to learn new field techniques where appropriate and conform to project protocols
- Excellent communication skills
- Exposure to working in a laboratory
- Demonstrated ability to achieve success in clinically orientated community-based health studies
Terms of Appointment
This position is at job level HG 10 and open to Kenyan nationals only. The position is a 2-year contract, renewable subject to satisfactory performance and availability of funding. ILRI offers a competitive salary and benefits package which includes; pension, medical and other insurances
How to Apply
Applicants should send a cover letter and CV explaining their interest in the position, what they can bring to the job and the names and addresses (including telephone and email) of three referees who are knowledgeable about the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience to the Director, People and Organizational Development by clicking on the “Apply Now” tab above before 11 December 2019. The position title and reference number REF: CO/ AHH /11/2019 should be clearly marked on the subject line of the cover letter.
We thank all applicants for their interest in working for ILRI. Due to the volume of applications, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
ILRI does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing or training). ILRI also does not concern itself with information on applicants’ bank accounts.
To find out more about ILRI visit our websites at http://www.ilri.org
To find out more about working at ILRI visit our website at http://www.ilri.org/ilricrowd/
ILRI is an equal opportunity employer.