NOT Getting Job Interviews? Get A Professional CV Today. Click Here For Details
Biomedical Engineer Jobs, Medical Jobs in Kenya, UNOPS Jobs
UNOPS Kenya Multi Country Office (KEMC) has its own Technical and Design Services Unit (TSU) which comprises a core group of technical staff supplemented by experts employed on a retainer basis. The group conducts feasibility studies and assessments and engages in design and monitoring work. The core group’s skills include Civil, Structural, Mechanical and Electrical Engineering, Architects, Design Associates and Quantity Surveyors. Retainers provide additional capacity in core disciplines as well as GIS and sector specific expertise (roads, healthcare, heritage etc).
- Under the overall supervision and guidance of the Technical Service Unit Manager and Project Manager, the Biomedical Engineer will give his/her technical expertise as required to survey sites, develop specifications for equipment, calculation of quantities and costs, assist in procurement activities, assist in Site Inspections and final handover activities.
- The Biomedical Engineer will be responsible for the definition of technical specifications for the procurement of medical equipment required for equipping new and existing Health facilities targeted by the different projects managed by UNOPS.
- S/he would be involved in providing technical assistance, guidance and expertise to health ministries and other associated implementing partners in assessment of current equipment installations, their suitability in providing the relevant level of service, and where need be develop plans, standards and guidelines for the acquisition, operation, maintenance and replacement of medical equipment.
- S/he would be involved in providing technical expertise during the bidding process to be able to identify competent equipment suppliers.
- S/he would be involved in the approval of the equipment and supervise the testing, commissioning and training of the end-users of the medical equipment.
- The Biomedical Engineer will be responsible for the following tasks:
- Provide prompt, high quality and professional engineering support in all activities related to the research, commission and installation of medical equipment such as:
- Technical Tasks Participate in the review and analysis of existing health equipment and installations (field assessments) in various sites Review the medical equipment specifications and requirements presented by MOH under design, in terms of accuracy, suitability and context.
- Participate in meetings and work closely with other respective medical experts to identify exact locations and dimensions for equipment to facilitate better and efficient patient and process flows.
- Prepare drawings to show proposed locations and installation for the medical equipment Assist in developing the schedule of the requirements, conditions, evaluation criteria and exact submission needed from the bidders before the bid solicitation.
- Assist in producing bill of quantities for tender purposes in terms of accuracy and content.
- Prepare technical specifications for medical systems including components, products, apparatus, and services together with the expected quality of workmanship, in close coordination with the Procurement team.
- Prepare estimates of prices for all medical equipment.
- Participate in scheduled site visits for inspection during implementation.
- Witness the testing, commissioning of the installed equipment the training of end-users and review shop drawings from contractors and issue a taking-over certificate of the installed equipment.
- Develop a comprehensive maintenance plan for the installed equipment.
- Keep files and records of the design processes and decisions.
- Assist in scheduling requested tasks related to medical works.
- Perform any other tasks relevant to design activity when required.
- Maintain accurate, current, comprehensive documentation for each area of responsibility.
- Travel will be expected to remote sites. The Biomedical Engineer will be required to travel to any site in or around the countries under KEMC as required and as UNDSS permits.
Education & Requirements
- Advanced degree in Biomedical Engineering is required.
- Additional 2 years of relevant work experience, in combination with a relevant bachelor’s degree, may substitute for the requirement for a Master’s degree.
- Education At least five years of relevant experience is required
- Experience in the maintenance and the acquisition of health bio-medical equipment is an asset
- Experience of successfully working with a variety of health sector stakeholders, particularly governments and development partners is an asset
- Experience working in developing countries is an asset.
- Good knowledge of the local and international medical Rules and Regulations is an asset.
- Knowledge of UN policies, procedures and operations is highly desirable.
- High proficiency with computers in particular MS Word, MS Excel, MS Outlook, Internet, AutoCAD, and other related software related to the positions field of expertise.
- Professional membership of certified associations is preferential.
- Current driver’s license is advantageous but not essential.
- Experience working with developing nations and/or large global donors such as Global Fund, USAID, World Bank, etc. is an advantage.
- Competencies Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization.
- Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization.(for levels IICA-2, IICA-3, LICA Specialist- 10, LICA Specialist-11, NOC, NOD, P3, P4 and above
How To Apply
N.B: Looking For A New Job? Find Your Next Job With Us. Click Here To Register Your CV. It's Free.