Chief of section (Integrated Support Services) Jobs, Administration Jobs in Kenya, Architecture Jobs in Kenya, Engineering Jobs in Kenya, UN Jobs.
The United Nations Office at Nairobi (UNON) is the UN headquarters in Africa and the representative office of the Secretary-General. We support programme implementation of the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) and the UN Human Settlements Programme (UN-HABITAT) globally, as well as other UN office in Kenya, by providing administrative, conference and information services. This post is located in the Facilities Management and Transportation section (FMTS) in the Central Support Services (CSS), Division of Administrative Services (DAS) in UNON. The Chief of Facilities Management and Transportation Section reports to the Chief of Central Support Services (CSS) and heads a Section within the Service. The Central Support Services section provides support to three main clients, namely United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP), United Nations Human Settlement Programme (UN-HABITAT) and UNON, as well as to the over 30 UN funds, programmes and offices of the UN common system located within the UN Gigiri Complex, and their approximately 4000 staff. The Section comprises of all areas dealing with facilities management, transport, construction, engineering and maintenance for the UNON Gigiri Complex in Nairobi. Within the delegated authority, the Chief FMTS will be responsible for the following functions:
- Planning and overseeing the management of activities undertaken by the Unit/Section; ensuring that substantive work programmes and programmed activities are carried out in a timely fashion, coordinating diverse projects in the Unit/Section and in liaison with other organizations of the United Nations System, as appropriate.
- Managing, supervising and carrying out the work programme of the Unit/Section under his/her responsibility. Coordinating the work carried out by the Unit/Section; providing programmatic and substantive review of drafts prepared by others.
- Providing substantive input in the preparation of position papers and reports for presentation to intergovernmental bodies such as the Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budget Questions, Committee for Programme Coordination, the General Assembly and other policymaking organs, as appropriate.
- Contributing to the reporting requirements to intergovernmental bodies on budget/programme performance or on programmatic/ substantive issues, as appropriate, particularly those presented in biannual and/or annual reports.
- Ensuring that the outputs produced by the Unit/Section maintain high-quality standards; that reports are clear, objective and based on comprehensive data. Ensuring that all outputs produced by the Unit/Section under his/her supervision meet required standards before completion to ensure they comply with the relevant mandates.
- Preparing inputs for the work programme of the Section determining priorities and allocating resources for the completion of outputs and their timely delivery.
- Carrying out programmatic/administrative tasks necessary for the functioning of the Unit/Section, including preparation of budgets, assigning and monitoring of performance parameters and critical indicators, reporting on budget/programme performance, preparation of inputs for results-based budgeting, reviewing staff performance, interviewing and evaluating candidates for job openings
- Recruiting staff for Unit/Section taking due account geographical and gender balance and other institutional values.
- Managing, guiding, developing and training staff under his/her supervision.
- Fostering teamwork and communication among staff in the Unit/Section and across organizational boundaries.
- Representing the Organization at inter-agency meetings, seminars, etc. on substantive-related issues.
- Participating in international, regional or national meetings and provide programmatic/substantive expertise on an issue, or hold programmatic/substantive and organizational discussions with representatives of other institutions.
- Knowledge of the substantive field of work in general and of specific areas being supervised; Ability to produce reports and papers on technical issues and to review and edit the work of others; Ability to apply UN rules, regulations, policies and guidelines in work situations; Shows pride in work and in achievements; Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; Shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; Remains calm in stressful situations.
Planning & Organizing
- Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; Identifies priority activities and assignments; Adjusts priorities as required; Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; Monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; Uses time efficiently.
- Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients ” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; Establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; Identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; Monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; Keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; Meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
- Serves as a role model that other people want to follow: Empowers others to translate vision into results; Is proactive in developing strategies to accomplish objectives; Establishes and maintains relationships with a broad range of people to understand needs and gain support; Anticipates and resolves conflicts by pursuing mutually agreeable solutions; Drives for change and improvements; does not accept the status quo; Shows the courage to take unpopular stands; Provides leadership and takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work; Demonstrates knowledge of strategies and commitment to the goal of gender balance in staffing.
- Identifies the key issues in a complex situation, and comes to the heart of the problem quickly; Gathers relevant information before making a decision; Considers positive and negative impacts of decisions prior to making them; Takes decisions with an eye to the impact on others and on the Organization; Proposes a course of action or makes a recommendation based on all available information; Checks assumptions against facts; Determines that the actions proposed will satisfy the expressed and underlying needs for the decision; Makes tough decisions when necessary.
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent degree) in business or Public Administration, Architecture Engineering or related field is required.
- A first-level university degree in any of these fields, in combination with two additional years of qualifying work experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A minimum of ten years of progressively responsible work experience in administration, budget, finance, human resources management or related field is required.
- Experience with major capital investment construction or infrastructure projects is desirable.
- Experience with Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) systems, either working in an environment with a large ERP system, or experience of implementing a new ERP system is desirable.
- Experience and knowledge of UN Rules, Regulations and related Facilities Management Guidelines is desirable.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For this post, fluency in written and oral English is required.
- Working knowledge of other UN official languages is desirable.
- Evaluation of qualified candidates may include an assessment exercise which may be followed by competency-based interview.
How To Apply.