Driver/Technical Assistant Jobs, Driving Jobs In Kenya, ICIPE Jobs
Position: Driver/Technical assistant
Icipe is a pan-African and non-profit Centre of Excellence for research and development and capacity buildingin insect science and its applications. Its mission is to help alleviate poverty, ensure food and nutritional security
and improve the overall health status of peoples of the tropics by developing and extending management tools
and strategies for harmful and useful arthropods, while preserving the natural resource base through research
and capacity building. Since its establishment in 1970, icipe has become a significant contributor to science and
innovation required to meet the health and food security challenges of sub-Saharan Africa. The Centre has
achieved this status by developing alternative and environmentally friendly pest and vector management
technologies and products that are effective, selective, non-polluting, non-resistance inducing, and are affordable
to resource-limited rural and urban communities. icipe is headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya with offices in Ethiopia
and Uganda, a major station on the shores of Lake Victoria, and several other field stations in Kenya. Employing
close to 500 international and national staff, icipe also has approximately 150 graduate students who contribute
to its research portfolio annually. The Centre currently has operations in more than 40 African countries, and
thriving partnerships with universities and research organizations across the world. (www.icipe.org)
Icipe seeks to recruit a Driver / Technical Assistant. The position is tenable in Nairobi at the icipe Duduville
campus. This is two-year contract, renewable subject to continued project needs, funding for the position, and
performance of the staff member. This is a nationally recruited position. A competitive compensation package
will be offered to the right candidate. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
The position is responsible for assisting the following Plant Health theme projects field research activities in
Kenya, Uganda and Tanzania:
▪ AU-Tuta IPM Project
▪ SipFeed Project, and
▪ Other projects in the Plant Health Theme.
▪ Assist the scientists, PhD and MSc students in performing routine field activities related to the Plant
▪ Provide logistical support to the Plant Health Theme at icipe and during field activities.
▪ Participate and support laboratory activities when based at icipe headquarters.
▪ Liaise with field staff of NARS partners and community members to undertake field activities.
▪ Driving Plant Health Theme project vehicles in the research areas and on any errands within Nairobi and
▪ Carry out routine basic maintenance of the vehicles as deemed necessary to keep them in good working
▪ Carry out other daily chores, casual labour, and any other activities assigned by the supervisor
▪ A valid and accident-free driving licence, with at least three years’ post-qualification driving experience
and good knowledge of automobile mechanics.
▪ Mean grade ‘D’ in the Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education (KCSE), or equivalent level of education.
▪ Basic computer skills, such as MS Word and the ability to communicate via e-mail.
▪ Good knowledge of automobile mechanics.
▪ Ability to communicate effectively in both English and Kiswahili.
▪ Familiarity with the geography (road network) in East Africa will be an added advantage.
Minimum relevant practical work experience required
▪ Must be aged below 40 years.
▪ Prior experience with similar research and development organisation and knowledge of basic concepts
in conducting experiments
How to Apply
Applications will be accepted up to 31st January 2020. Shortlisting is ongoing. Interested applicants should
submit: a confidential cover letter; detailed CV with names and addresses of 3 referees (including e-mail
addresses, fax numbers); and a statement illustrating suitability against the listed qualifications/competencies/
abilities, and skills. Candidates are required to apply online through: http://recruit.icipe.org or by Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Icipe is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equity, teamwork, and respect for diversity