Electrical Technician Jobs, NGO Jobs in Kenya, NRC Jobs
The NRC East Africa & Yemen mission is an expanding programme. NRC started its operations in Kenya in the refugee camps in Dadaab in February 2007.NRC has WASH, Shelter, Education, Food Security and Livelihood and Information Counselling and Legal Assistant programmes implemented in the refugee camps in Dadaab and Kakuma.
All NRC employees are expected to work in accordance with the organisation’s core values: dedication, innovation, inclusivity and accountability. These attitudes and beliefs shall guide our actions and relationships.
The NRC East Africa & Yemen mission is an expanding programme.
NRC started its operations in Kenya in the refugee camps in Dadaab in February 2007.
NRC has WASH, Shelter, Education, Food Security and Livelihood and Information Counselling and Legal Assistant programmes implemented in the refugee camps in Dadaab and Kakuma.
- All NRC employees are expected to work in accordance with the organisation’s core values: dedication, innovation, inclusivity and accountability.
- These attitudes and beliefs shall guide our actions and relationships.
Duties and Responsibilities
- The WASH Assistant – Solar/Electrical technician will be responsible for design, installation, repair and maintenance of solar power grid and on electrical parts. He/she will be required to actively participate in the retrieval, repair and installation of water supply systems in the camp.
- He/she will also be monitoring all electrical installations in the generator rooms and carry out repairs and maintenance of the standby control panels, change over switches and other electrical equipment’s in the workshop.
- Design, install, inspect, maintain and repair solar panel systems, including the solar collectors, concentrators, batteries, pumps, fans, or support structure.
- To keep records of all the repairs those have been done in the field and in the workshop as well the running hours of the generator sets to ensure timely servicing.
- Do any and all electrical work needed to connect solar system to electric grid. This includes proper grounding systems, controls and all necessary testing.
- Assist in conducting regular assessments and give recommendations for rehabilitations of the solar systems, boreholes and submersible pumps.
- Capacity building of incentive staffs and communities in solar powered water systems operation.
- Installation of new generators and retrieval of the old and defective ones ensuring they are well wired and operational.
- Oversee strict daily borehole running and operation, and being the custodian of gen-set keys and ensure correct amount of fuel is dispensed to the borehole and compound gensets.
- To keep records of all the electrical repairs and spares that have been done in the field and in the workshop.
- To prepare monthly unit reports on jobs and conditions of all the relevant system.
- Technical designs and BoQs for the power grid for the borehole locations and NRC compounds in Kakuma
- To assist in supervision of the contractors doing upgrade or installations of the power grids in NRC compounds.
- Advise and recommend the power requirement for electrical gadgets.
- Together with borehole attendants and team leader, maintain cleanliness and safety of the gensets, submersible and booster pumps in the field.
- Supporting the WASH Officer-Sources in procurement of the necessary fast moving spare parts, and working tools for the repair of the gensets and pumps.
- To participate in recruitment of boreholes attendants borehole watchmen and EST watchmen and ensure they are well trained in undertaking minor electrical installations and repairs.
- Any other assignment as may be required by the WASH Officer.
- Relevant qualifications in Solar / Electrical Engineering
- Proven practical experience in the planning and execution of WASH Programmes of at least 3 years the management of generators, pumps and accessories. Ability to maintain generators is an added advantage.
- Ability to initiate, develop, plan and implement an integrated programme.
- Excellent communication (spoken and written) skills, including the ability to explain and present technical information
- Experience in capacity building and training of staff and target groups
- Political and cultural awareness and experience of working where insecurity is a major issue
- Ability to work independently in a result oriented multi-tasking and multi-cultural environment and manage conflicting priorities.
- Planning and delivering results
- Coping with change
- Working with people
- Handling insecure environments
How to Apply
Quick Read>>>Rules of Adressing Your Cover letter