Geography Teacher Jobs, Teaching Jobs in Kenya, Banda School Jobs
To undertake the teaching of Geography at The Banda School and lead the department forwards with new initiatives and ideas, taking responsibility for planning and implementing appropriate work programmes for all pupils in the designated class, within the framework of national and school policies.
- To continually review and update the current syllabus in the subject.
- To keep up to date with current thinking and developments in the subject, especially Scholarship, Common Entrance and National Curriculum requirements.
- To deliver a Scholarship Programme for those pupils sitting Scholarship papers to secondary schools if required.
- Advise and oversee planning within the department through collaborative discussion.
- To ensure that the use of iPads in the department is effective and is enhancing children’s
- Attend Curriculum Meetings as organised by the IAPS network of schools, and be prepared to host such meetings.
- To set examination papers which are appropriate to the material covered, for Years 5-8.
- To liaise with the Head of the Lower School and Pegasus Early Years and the Heads of Key Stages 1 & 2 in order to be aware of the teaching of Geography throughout the school.
- To advise the SLT on teaching allocations within the department.
- Communicate with the Learning Support department regarding Geography specific needs of pupils.
- Attend Heads of Department Meetings and hold regular departmental meetings and pass on the minutes to the Director of Teaching and Learning.
- To participate in meetings with parents and colleagues at school which relate to the administration, organisation and curriculum of the department.
- To organise regular trips to support learning and ensure continued enthusiasm for the subject throughout the school.
- To carry out regular observations of colleagues in the department and give constructive feedback.
- To carry out regular work scrutiny of Geography throughout the school.
- Provide leadership and give advice and assistance to all teachers of Geography throughout
- To be responsible for coordinating display work as required, ensuring that it meets a high
standard and is changed at regular intervals.
Facilities and Resources
- Control and monitor a budget as advised by the Finance Department and ensure that the budget is spent effectively on resourcing the department.
- To be responsible for the rooms and equipment as allocated to the department.
Information and Reporting
- To continually review the department’s strengths and weaknesses through Department Development Plans, meetings and Department Reviews.
- To ensure that the Departmental Handbook is kept up to date.
- To monitor, moderate, record and report on the development, progress and attainment of pupils as required.
- To ensure the maintenance of high standards of marking, progress and achievement through regular work scrutiny.
- To take responsibility for contributions from the Geography Department to the school
website and The Banda Log (school magazine).
- To undertake any other administrative duties in respect of your employment as required by the Headmistress.
- Possess a degree or equivalent teaching qualification.
- Have experience of working in British Curriculum Schools.
- Possess the desire to be fully involved in all aspects of the life of a leading preparatory
- Have the capacity to lead and inspire the departmental team.
- Be pro-active as a part of The Banda School team.
- Possess a love of Geography teaching to children of all abilities and a passion for the
development of academic excellence.
- Be able to build good relationships with pupils, parents and families.
- Be able to build good relationships with colleagues.
- Be able to create a stimulating and engaging learning environment.
- Be able to use initiative, show flexibility and be adaptable.
- Be punctual and use time appropriately.
- Be a good communicator with adults and children.
- Be prepared to play an active role in the general life of the school.
- Show good organisational skills.
- Show a competent level of written English.
- Be experienced in using ICT in teaching, as a tool for research and for communication.
Familiarity with iPads is an advantage.
- Present a clean Certificate of Good Conduct or International Child Protection Certificate
- Safeguard and promote the welfare of the pupils.
- Keep up to date with educational developments and be committed to continual personal and professional development.
- Be a motivator.
How to Apply