Head Environment Health Theme Jobs, Other Professions In Kenya, ICIPE Jobs
Position: Head Environment Health Theme
Icipe is a pan-African and non-profit Centre of Excellence for research and development and capacity building
in insect science and its applications. Its mission is to help alleviate poverty, ensure food and nutritional
security and improve the overall health status of peoples of the tropics by developing and extending
management tools and strategies for harmful and useful arthropods, while preserving the natural resource
base through research and capacity building. Since its establishment in 1970, icipe has become a significant
contributor to science and innovation required to meet the health and food security challenges of subSaharan Africa. The Centre has achieved this status by developing alternative and environmentally friendly
pest and vector management technologies and products that are effective, selective, non-polluting, nonresistance inducing, and are affordable to resource-limited rural and urban communities. icipe is
headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya with offices in Ethiopia and Uganda, a major station on the shores of Lake
Victoria, and several other field stations in Kenya. Employing close to 500 international and national staff,
icipe also has approximately 150 graduate students who contribute to its research portfolio annually. The
Centre currently has operations in more than 40 African countries, and thriving partnerships with universities
and research organizations across the world. Icipe is seeking to appoint an outstanding scientist to fill the position of HEAD OF ENVIRONMENT HEALTH THEME.
The work of the Theme spans various of the impact of climate change on ecosystems services,
with a focus on insects and related arthropods, biodiversity and conservation, bioprospecting and
development of plant-derived insecticides, monitoring the benefits of reduced environmental burden of
chemical insecticides, bee health, pollination services, sericulture, as well as working with communities to
establish insect-based commercial activities (e.g. honey and silk).
The position is tenable in Nairobi at the icipe Duduville campus. The position will be offered for an initial
contract of 3 years, renewable subject to continued project needs, funding for the position, and performance
of the staff member. A competitive and generous compensation package that includes housing and transport
allowances, education allowance, comprehensive health and life insurance cover, and an offshore
retirement package (all payable in US Dollars), will be offered to the right candidate. Furthermore, the
incumbent will receive paid annual vacation and return airfare for themselves and their dependents to their
nominated home base each year. If the successful candidate is appointed from outside Kenya, he or she
will be offered support to relocate and settle in Nairobi. Qualified candidates from Africa (and especially
females) are invited to apply. Only shortlisted candidates will be acknowledged.
The overall purpose of the job is to lead the Environmental Health Theme. Reporting to the Director of
Research and Partnerships, the successful applicant will be part of a multidisciplinary team providing
leadership and research strategy to the Centre in collaboration with icipe’s other Themes and Units. It is
expected that the successful candidate will maintain a portfolio of research that is aligned with icipe’s
strategy and goals.
The successful candidate is expected to:
▪ Work in collaboration with the icipe leadership team, including the Director General, Director of
Research and Partnerships (DRP) and Heads of Themes and Units, to undertake and facilitate
research and capacity building activities across the Centre;
▪ Lead and spearhead the development of a coherent vision for the EH Theme;
▪ Organise a Theme structure to cost-effectively utilise resources to meet icipe’s research, capacity
and institutional building needs;
▪ Guide programme/project leaders within the Theme to ensure timely preparation of the Theme’s
annual work-plans, budgets, and scientific and technical reports for donors;
▪ Ensure Theme members continually update skills and methodologies, to keep up with global cuttingedge knowledge;
▪ Promote and establish collaborative linkages with national, regional and international institutions in
the relevant fields of research of the Theme;
▪ Actively seek and secure external support for the activities of the Theme, including resources to
develop and grow a personal research portfolio;
▪ Manage and develop the staff of the Theme to create and foster a culture of science excellence and
to ensure the Theme has the human resources required now and into the future;
▪ Facilitate peer-review of the performance of Theme members;
▪Initiate periodic reviews of the performance of the EH Theme, to ensure relevance and quality;
▪Act as a spokesperson and representative of the Theme;
▪Ensure the Theme meets its legal and reporting responsibilities to all stakeholders, including national
licensing authorities and donors.
▪ Previous experience in research management and a proven track record in a relevant area of
scientific research as demonstrated by publication record, and a history of securing external support
for a portfolio of research.
▪ Ability to create and foster an innovative work environment and to work within, and lead teams, to
deliver on agreed goals.
▪ Appropriate skills in research governance, including experience in the oversight of resource
mobilisation and financial accountability.
▪ PhD degree in relevant field, including entomology, environmental or agricultural sciences, climate
change and/or modelling from a reputable university.
▪ Excellent publication track record.
▪ Ten (10) years’ experience gained at a senior level in either a research organisation or university.
▪ Track record of writing successful proposals for large grants.
▪ Proven record of managing large resources—both financial and human—in a research environment.
▪ Experience in capacity building through supervision and mentorship of MSc and PhD students.
▪ Excellent communication skills are mandatory.
▪ Track record of exemplary leadership qualities is essential.
Other desirable attributes
• High degree of organisation, adaptability, and prioritisation.
How to Apply
Applications will be accepted up to 31st January 2020. Interested applicants should submit: a
confidential cover letter; detailed CV with names and addresses of 3 referees, including e-mail
addresses; and a statement illustrating suitability against the listed qualifications/competencies/abilities,
and skills. Candidates are required to apply online through: http://recruit.icipe.org or by Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Icipe is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values
gender equity, teamwork, and respect for diversity.