Pastry Chef Jobs, Hotel Jobs In Kenya, Kempinski Jobs
Position: Pastry Chef
Reporting to the Executive Chef, the Pastry Chef’s main function is to plan, organize, control and direct the work of employees responsible for the preparation and presentation of a broad array of cakes, pastries, desserts, petits fours and breads which meet customer expectations.
- Supervise all employees in the Pastry/Bakery kitchen
- Create new pastry and dessert menus for all restaurant outlets and banquets, conduct tastings and presentations with photos and costing
- Assist the Executive Pastry Chef in establishing culinary standards specific for Pastry/Bakery which meets the need of the target market.
- Develop and maintain up-dated operations manuals for all food production and Stewarding sections and make recipes and maintain up- dated and accurate costing of all Pastry dishes prepared and sold in the Food and Beverage operation
- Supervise the Pastry kitchen staff in the preparation and presentation of all food items in accordance with the hotel’s food and beverage standards and standardized menu guidelines
- Inspect several times daily all food stores and refrigerated areas and suggest, where necessary, correct storage methods to comply with Health & Safety regulations, to avoid spoilage and ensure regular turnover of food items and give completed check lists to the Executive Pastry Chef.
- Check food preparation, individual costs, quality, quantity inventories and portion control on a daily basis
- Liaise with the Chief Steward in order to ensure high standards of cleanliness are maintained in all areas of the Pastry/Bakery kitchen, such as machinery and small kitchen equipment
- Plan the duty rosters on weekly basis.
- Ensure training needs analysis of the pastry staff is carried out and training programmes are designed and implemented to meet the needs
- Work with Executive Chef in the preparation and management of the department’s budget
- Assist in coordinating the preparation of the departmental annual budget
- Control and monitor departmental costs on an ongoing basis to ensure performance against budget
- Provide input for probation and formal performance appraisal discussions in line with company guidelines.
- Comply with all Kempinski company policies.
- Demonstrate Awareness of OH&S policies and procedures and ensure all procedures are conducted safely and within OH&S guidelines.
- Be familiar with property safety, first aid and fire and emergency procedures and operate equipment safely and sensibly.
- Any other duties that may be delegated by the management through the Executive Chef
- High School or secondary diploma required
- Gastronomic education certificate or equivalent (apprenticeship/diploma/BA/Bsc)
- Minimum 4 years kitchen experience
- Minimum 3 years in a pastry kitchen role, preferably with a 5* Hotel chain
- International experience preferred
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to identify and delegate tasks effectively.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Knowledgeable of food safety regulations.
- Computer literacy
- Good communication skills
- Ability to work and communicate in a multinational environment:
- Able to work in a fast paced environment and can multitask
- Ability to remain calm and composed under pressure