Project Accounting Manager Jobs, Accounting Jobs In Kenya, ICIPEJobs
Position: Project Accounting Manager
Ref. No: IRS/403/012020)
Icipe is a pan-African and non-profit Centre of Excellence for research and development and capacity
building in insect science and its applications. Its mission is to help alleviate poverty, ensure food
and nutritional security and improve the overall health status of peoples of the tropics by developing
and extending management tools and strategies for harmful and useful arthropods, while preserving
the natural resource base through research and capacity building. Since its establishment in 1970,
icipe has become a significant contributor to science and innovation required to meet the health and
food security challenges of sub-Saharan Africa. The Centre has achieved this status by developing
alternative and environmentally friendly pest and vector management technologies and products that
are effective, selective, non-polluting, non-resistance inducing, and are affordable to resource-limited
rural and urban communities. icipe is headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya with offices in Ethiopia and
Uganda, a major station on the shores of Lake Victoria, and several other field stations in Kenya.
Employing close to 500 international and national staff, icipe also has approximately 150 graduate
students who contribute to its research portfolio annually. The Centre currently has operations in
more than 40 African countries, and thriving partnerships with universities and research organizations
across the world. (www.icipe.org). Icipe is seeking to recruit a Project Accounting Manager in the Finance and Budgeting Unit. The position is tenable in Nairobi, Kenya. The position will be offered for an initial contract of 2 years, renewable, subject to continued project needs, funding for the position, and performance of the staff
member. A competitive and generous compensation package that includes housing and transport
allowances, education allowance, comprehensive health and life insurance cover, and an offshore
retirement package (all payable in US Dollars), will be offered to the right candidate. Furthermore, the
incumbent will receive paid annual vacation and return airfare for themselves and their dependents
to their nominated home base each year. If the successful candidate is appointed from outside Kenya,
he or she will be offered support to relocate and settle in Nairobi. Qualified candidates from Africa
(and especially females) are invited to apply. Only shortlisted candidates will be acknowledged.
- Lead in the preparation of the Centre’s annual restricted budgets and individual project
budgets. Issue of budget instructions, development of templates, monitoring for completeness,
consolidation and presentation.
- Understanding and assessing restricted and unrestricted incomes cycle and managing
processes relating to tracking proposals, donor contracts, income recognition, spending within
budget and contract terms, donor reporting & invoicing, tracking donor payables & receivables.
- Lead in full costing exercise, cost classifications & allocations, linkages of staff time as a cost
driver of allocable costs and other full costing models.
- Implementing and continuous update of a sub grantee grants systems and imprest systems
to ensure timely disbursement & accounting of sub grants and risk management of sub-grants
and imprests. Review subgrantees and field station imprest returns and reports, the
reconciliation of grants/imprest held and subsequent update of system records.
- Taking a lead role in the implementation of and maintenance of the ERP system in relation to
matters relating to project accounting – user requirements, inputs and outputs and
- Management and support of processes that ensure the timely preparation of Support,
Professional, Students & Casuals contracts and timesheets.
- Provide overview of projects by periodic generation of reports relating to – income portfolio
forecasts, cumulative burn rates; trends of expenditure and key financial indicators
- Management of reporting systems of performance against budget to the budget holders and
- Plan and facilitate timely external project audits and follow up and implementation of the
recommendations of the auditors.
▪ A degree in Finance or Accounting.
▪ Professional accounting qualification (e.g. CPA-K, ACCA, ACA).
▪ At least (7) years of progressive project management experience, of which 3 years should be
at senior level in finance and accounting.
▪ Expertise in budget monitoring and quantitative data.
▪ Strong conceptual, analytical and numeracy skills.
▪ Attention to detail and a high level of organization.
▪ High level of IT proficiency, preferably in an Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) system.
▪ Strong leadership and people management skills.
How to Apply
Applications will be accepted up to 31st January 2020. Shortlisting is ongoing. Interested applicants
should submit: a confidential cover letter; detailed CV with names and addresses of 3 referees,
including e-mail addresses; and a statement illustrating their suitability against each of the
listed qualifications/competencies/abilities, and skills. Candidates are required to apply online through: http://recruit.icipe.org or via email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Icipe is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equity, teamwork, and respect for diversity.