Research Assistant Jobs, Agricultural Jobs in Kenya, NGO Jobs in Kenya, The International Potato Center Jobs
The International Potato Center (CIP) is seeking to recruit a dynamic and experienced Research Assistant.
- The Research Assistant will be expected to support formation of farmer producer organizations, youth groups and cooperatives.
- These organizations are farmer driven and are expected to bring farmers together with one voice and collectively market their produce.
- These organizations will be linked to markets and service provides including financial institutions.
- Additionally, the Research Assistant will contribute to integrating apical cuttings into seed systems for farmers, principally in relation to marketing.
- Conduct training in business skills and entrepreneurship for potato based cooperatives, farmer producer organizations and youth groups and support them develop own business plans.
- Support implementation of the business plans.
- Support the potato business to access markets.
- Support the potato business to access financial and credit service providers to support their business plans.
- Support the potato business to develop group savings schemes for internal borrowing and investment.
- Participate in events to promote potato apical rooted cuttings.
- Work with county teams to promote and support cuttings technology.
- Support private sector development to produce and use cuttings.
- Collect and report all data from activities.
- BSc. or BCom. in Agribusiness, Business Development, Agricultural Development, or a related field, from a recognized University;
- At least three years’ experience in agribusiness development or a related area working with farmer producer organizations demonstrating capacity to strengthen cooperatives and other farming groups.
- Working experience with agri-business and market development and analysis.
- In depth understanding of the business/accounting capacities needed to develop farmers and agricultural cooperatives into viable businesses.
- Proven experience linking farmer businesses to diverse types of markets.
- Proven experience linking farmer businesses to financial institutions.
- Proven experience developing group savings plans within farmer group.
- Proven experience training farmers and cooperatives in business skills, specific experience with farmers involved in potato production as a business is an asset.
- Proven experience developing training program to develop numeracy capacities for smallholder farmers.
- Advanced level of MS Office.
- Advanced written and oral communication skills in English.
- Fluent in Kiswahili.
How to Apply