Learning Designer Jobs, Teaching Jobs In Kenya, Educate Jobs
Position; Leraning designer
Educate! is a non-profit social enterprise that prepares youth in Africa with the skills to succeed in today’s economy. We’ve massively scaled up our program in the past several years, growing more than 4x since 2014. In 2018, we’re working in 175 secondary schools in Rwanda, 60 pilot schools in Kenya, and over 700 schools in Uganda reaching over 42,000 students intensively and 530,000 more broadly. And our Vision for 2024 is even bigger — to measurably impact one million youth annually across Africa.
Our model has proven to have a massive impact — after the program, students earned DOUBLE the income of a control group and had a 44% increase in business creation. Our graduates change their lives and their communities, such as Lillian Aero who employs over 100 AIDS-affected women.
Educate!’s team includes almost 200 staff and almost 300 volunteer youth mentors. We have been backed by top foundations such as MasterCard, Big Bang Philanthropy, Mulago, Echoing Green, Ashoka, and Global Innovation Fund. Educate! won the 2015 WISE Awards, and was featured by Bill Gates, an Al Jazeera documentary, Forbes 30 under 30, Clinton Global Initiative and The Brookings Institution as one of the 14 case studies in their global scaling education learning initiative.
Educate! currently achieves impact on youth life outcomes through direct delivery of our model in schools (what we call “School Solutions”) and through the integration of our model into national education systems (“Education System Solutions”).
In 2019, Educate!’s team began building a faster, more affordable, and more accessible alternative path to vocational school, which will empower out-of-school youth with the skills they need to get jobs, create their own businesses, and earn an income. With the introduction of this new solution, which builds on what we’ve learned in our ten years’ experience implementing a proven solution for youth directly in secondary schools, we are now aiming to tackle the systematic problem of youth unemployment from every angle, both through traditional education pathways and outside the system. Our new solution is seeking to answer a crucial question: What could act as an alternative path to vocational school for out-of-school youth, preparing them for the economic realities they will face?
To answer this question, in early 2019 Educate! assembled a new social enterprise unit within our organization, called Learning Point to explore and innovate the pathway to sustainably impact out of school youth (OoSY) livelihoods at scale.
Learning Point is looking for a Learning Designer who will be a creative thinker with strong analytical, conceptual thinking, superb training and instructional design and writing skills. With a drive for constant learning and improvement, and passion for user-centred design, to take on the role of a Learning Designer, reporting to the Design Manager. He/She will be part of a team to conceptualize and design curriculum for an innovative out-of-school-youth program meant for the Informal sector group.He/She will collaborate closely with other members of the design team, customer engagement and programs teams to put Educate!’s culture of impact-oriented program design based on learning and experimentation into action.He/She will comfortably work and thrive in a matrix structured reporting environment.
We’re inspired by people with drive, and we love to help them reach their full potential. We expect everyone at Educate! to contribute above and beyond their job description, grow their skills, and advance their careers, and we are committed to supporting our staff members on that journey.
- We Put Youth First – The youth we serve come first. Always. In everything. That means we wake up thinking of ways we can serve youth even better and get the highest impact out of every dollar that we spend. It means Educate! doesn’t own a single vehicle, because we’d rather take the bus if it means one more student can participate. It means making every decision as the future depends on it — because if we get our way, it
- We Are Always Learning – When you work at Educate!, educating yourself is part of your job too. We encourage every employee to find the best book on management; share the latest article on graphic design; bring in your favourite college mentor, or meet the researcher pushing the edge of the field. We are always thirsty for knowledge and love to
- We Only Solve a Problem Once – We are allergic to band-aids so we love the person who brings the new system to solve the problem for good, even problems we haven’t recognized
- We Are Flexible – We thrive on change — we’re driving it. We are growing every day, so we have to adapt quickly to meet new challenges, and our team keeps
- We Exceed Expectations – We assume we can achieve the impossible because we already have, year after year. We want our staff to create your own challenges, ask the toughest questions, and dream scary big!
Every person at Educate! — from interns to the executive director — is evaluated by how they live up to these five cultural tenets. They are at the core of how we achieve our mission and why we work as well as we do.
Educate is committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all who interact in our community. In creating this environment, we encourage people from a variety of cultures, backgrounds and life experiences to join our diverse team.
- Develop and conduct a needs analysis to determine training needs and program requirements of the target audience
- Explain and research on helpful subject matter and speak to relevant subject matter experts to solidify your understanding of program content
- Contribute to the research, creation, editing and publication of program design features and content
- Utilize instructional design concepts and principles to design and develop instructional interactions to create interactive and engaging course content
- Writing, editing, and structuring course content for learner engagement and retention
- Devising apt summative and formative assessments
- Evaluate content to ensure learning objectives are appropriate to the audience
- Manage projects from inception and design phase to production and release
- Support coordination of print production, quality assurance and control by sampling materials printed for training purposes to ensure they are in line with quality as
- Implement feedback from program reviews
- Facilitating training of trainers on how to deliver learning material and ensure quality standards are maintained as per Educate training quality guidelines
- Research and recommend new training methods
- Conduct routine training needs assessments of the field staff/trainers
- Choosing the most appropriate training methods per case (virtual, simulated, mentoring, on the job training, professional development classes, etc.)
- Build learning metrics and track them to inform us on engagement, attendance and completion rate
- Documenting feedback from end-users and recommending action plans
- Prototype and test content design and delivery methods to inform iterations
- Monitoring program effectiveness, and recommends improvements
- Maintaining updated design database and training records
Learning & Networking
- Complete required designer training and certifications (design academy modules) before the end of the probationary period
- Complete all designer training and contribute to training with a positive, open mindset that welcomes feedback and new approaches/perspectives
- Knowledgeable of key trends, strategies, and language from the fields of education, leadership and entrepreneurship
- Learn from local field staff, experimentation, and referencing international research
- Proactively network with other organizations from diverse fields
- 3-5 years of experience in designing and implementation of blended learning
- Extensive knowledge of instructional design theories and implementation with the ability to complete full training circle (assess needs, plan, develop, monitor and evaluate)
- Adequate knowledge of learning management systems and web delivery tools
- Familiarity with traditional and modern training methods and techniques
- Experience working with out-of-school youth and/ youth from economically marginalized communities would be an added advantage
- Advanced organizational skills with the ability to handle multiple assignments
- Strong communication skills
- Have the following traits: Tenacity, open minded & flexible
- Are self driven to keep iterating to finding more ways to create value
- Are collaborative to understand that being constantly aligned is core to the role
- Have Passion for youth development and solving problems with and for the youth
- Have demonstrable experience designing the right solutions to solve the right problems for the right target market; starting with the customer and work backwards and working vigorously to earn and keep customer
- Have demonstrable experience in conceptualizing, planning, coordinating and producing engaging learning activities and compelling
How to Apply
Sounds like you or someone you know? Click here to apply
MUST READ >>> What Is The Biggest Lie About Working From Home?