Agricultural Consultant Jobs, Latest NGO Jobs, Farm Africa Jobs
Position: Consultant To Conduct An Aquaculture And Fisheries Strategic Environmental Impact Assesment
Location: Kisumu, Siaya, Kakamega
About the Project
Farm Africa through a co-funding from the Open Society Foundations (OSF) has initiated a two (2) year project termed Strengthening Aquaculture Eco-systems in Kenya (SAEK) ; Advancing Economic Justice for Small holder Aquaculture project.
SAEK project identifies sector’s obvious bottlenecks which include structural issues within policy, market systems development, financing and environmental protection that more often than not hampers sustainable development of an inclusive aquaculture sector in Kenya. Similarly, sector based associations at both county and national levels are yet to influence formulation and implementation of conducive policies and regulations which can stimulate inclusive sectors’ growth. Women and youth continue to face societal mainstreaming challenges in their bid to engage in commercial aquaculture production activities, and county governments have continued to have operational structures and priorities that pay less consideration to the aquaculture sub sector.
Farm Africa through SAEK project interventions, aims to achieve a turnaround to the current status by facilitating transformational change via knowledge access and learnings sharing , market systems (linkages) development, supporting sector associations to influence policy formulation and mobilizing county governments agriculture, livestock and fisheries committees to develop viable and inclusive county-level aquaculture strategies.
SAEK project will work in collaboration with other Economic Justice Program (EJP) grantees who include Echo Network Africa (ENA), Kenya Female Advisory Organization (KEFEADO), Aquaculture Association of Kenya (AAK), Victory Farms, RIO Holdings and Five (5) County governments including Busia, Siaya, Kakamega, Kisumu and Homa Bay.
SAEK project intends to draw from Farm Africa’s, past knowledge, experience and networks in Kenya’s and subscribes to the theory of change which places county governments’ strategy and policy as key reciprocals to the development of stronger and inclusive aquaculture ecosystems which translates to sustainable socio-economic development.
Farm Africa intends to contract a service provider capable of conducting a strategic environmental impact assessment for aquaculture and fisheries operations as carried out within Lake Victoria and its environs with a focus on potential environmental impact of the EJP’s approaches to the wider environment and recommended climate smart applications within the sector.
The assessment will build on previous findings of a Strategic Environmental Impact Assessment (SEIA) report as conducted by Farm Africa in 2016. The past study report will provide a framework from which current levels of stakeholders’ knowledge, sensitivity and decisions in regards to environmental conservation can be determined and necessary actions recommended for quick adoption.
- Determine status of current existing environmental laws and legislations that govern aquaculture and fisheries operations at national levels and 5 project counties, their alignment to the overall national and international environmental standards, when were they passed and how do they compare to the current
- Determine current environmental impact status as experienced by the sector, sense check for compliance and non-compliance in regards to the study findings and how they affect product (fish)
- Conduct an environmental risk assessment for intensification of cage culture operations in Lake Victoria and assess suitability of sites, adherence to environmental conservation statutes and recommend a sustainable management plan for the sub-sector in
- Advice on probable resultant environmental impact with intensification or increased cage operational activities in Lake Victoria and recommend monitoring
- Sustainability roll out plans for recommendations from the study including possible collaborative areas and capacity building initiatives for key sector players on identified environmenta
- Updated strategic environmental impact assessment report for use as a reference by stakeholders in the
- Recommendations from findings on sustainable cage culture
- Fish products quality test results by reputable government or private
- Recommendations on pathways to compliance on the identified/ agreed environmental management plans.
- Environmental policy legislation and implementation action plan for aquaculture and fisheries sub-sector.
- Self-regulation initiatives within the sector
- Provide quality production guidelines in regards to cultured fish
- Updated map for Lake Victoria (Kenya) cage sites with clear guidance on carrying capacity potential as well as mapped out potential environmental pollution
- An inception report that includes a summary of previous experience and references for having carried out similar assignments in the past, Gantt chart for the assignment in order to achieve the desired output results, financial proposal for the assignment and support or resources that you may need from Farm Africa to successfully execute the
- Qualitative and quantitative data on sector’s adherence to existing environmental laws policies and regulations within the 5 counties and in the
- Specific recommendations on improvement for and enforcement of current environmental laws and regulations to achieve environmental sustainability for the sector.
- Report on suitability assessment of cage culture sites and operations within Lake Victoria (Kenya).
- Dissemination of environmental impact assessment results to key stakeholders in the sector including the state department of fisheries and the blue economy representatives, county government departments, value chain actors and other implementers.
This assignment is expected to be completed within a minimum of 4 weeks and a maximum of 6 weeks from the time of signing the contract.
How to Apply
Interested bidders should submit their narrative as well as the financial proposal which should include the following;
- A motivational letter stating why you consider yourself suitable for this
- Brief methodology on the approach and implementation procedure for the assignment.
- A detailed work plan for the
- A detailed financial proposal; clearly breaking down the consultancy fee in alignment with the detailed work plan, consultancy expenses inclusive of logistics for the dissemination event.
- Resume of key technical personnel with qualification and experience in aquaculture, fisheries, environmental studies and legislation; only include resumes of people who will be directly working on the
- Previous work references; contact details (email addresses) of referees (firms for whom you have performed similar assignments).
All documents must be submitted by email to email address below; email@example.com by close of business, 15th March, 2020.