Innovation Lab Coordinator Job, Current Laboratory Technologist Jobs in Kenya 2020, Latest Engineering Jobs in Kenya 2020,
Lamu, Lamu, Kenya – Full Time
Kenya Red Cross Society is one of the largest humanitarian organisations in Kenya. Its vision is to be the most effective, most trusted and self-sustaining humanitarian organization in Kenya, serving present and future generations. Innovation is one of our core values at the KRCS where we innovate with and for the communities.
Innovation is one of the Organization’s core values. The KRCS recognizes and appreciates the need to be flexible and agile to be able to effectively and efficiently serve vulnerable communities. The KRCS, through the Innovation Department, promotes and encourages creativity and ingenuity in designing humanitarian interventions and developing new solutions to address organizational and community challenges.
The Society is looking for a qualified person to fill the following position:
Position Title: Innovation Lab Coordinator
Reporting to: Innovations Manager
Job Location: Hindi, Lamu
The Lamu Innovation and Fabrication Lab is a modern innovation workspace and makerspace that is equipped with an array of digital fabrication machines that utilise various materials. The Lab aims to empower communities and innovators to enhance local skills and talent to create, build and improve solutions to strengthen resilience and economic empowerment.
Lamu, based off the coast of Kenya, is rich in culture and tradition. Its narrow streets remain unchanged and markets and squares around the fort life moves at the same pace it always has. There are no vehicles and the donkey and the dhow remain the dominant form of transport. The people of Lamu are great believers in tradition and custom and this is a strong society built on a respect for the past. Local artisans have mastered skills in building dhows, carving the infamous Lamu door and traditional embroidery and weaving.
As the innovation lab coordinator, you will have the exciting opportunity to engage and work with the community to complement these traditional skills with modern digital fabrication tools and processes that will not only rejuvenate the already nurtured creativity of local skills, improve their efficiency and processes, as well as attract the youth into these sectors. You will also have the amazing opportunity to support other innovation projects and initiatives at the national level and further enhance the work that KRCS does with communities across Kenya.
The primary focus for this role will be coordination of the Lamu Fab-Lab operations particularly on program development, coaching and training, collaboration and continuous improvement of the facility setup by the KRCS Innovation Unit, administered under the International Centre for Humanitarian Affairs (ICHA), an establishment of the KRCS.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Create and deploy systems for the smooth running of the lab in tandem with organizational mission and key objectives
- Design, develop, and execute workshops, events, and new program elements aligned with community interests and needs;
- Plan, Execute, Monitor, Report and Evaluate programs and initiative outcomes for future planning.
- Ensure operations in the fabrication lab are in line with set standard operating procedures and best practices
- Foster an interdisciplinary learning environment and a culture of critical decision making and innovation.
- Document learning, teaching activities and projects for internal reports and public relations
- Develop and execute a marketing strategy for the Lab
- Develop and ensure effective implementation of routine preventive maintenance schedule
- Contact vendors regarding maintenance contracts and complex repair / troubleshooting to resolve lab issues in a timely manner.
- Stay familiar and up-to-date with the most common software used in the fablab and facilitate equipment / software changes. Procure, install and renew software licenses.
- Create, maintain and ensure adherence to safety policies.
- Create the staffing schedule for the lab which includes machine operators and trainers.
- Responsible for planning and budgets, strategy development and implementation of the lab’s projects and activities
- Provide support and technical guidance and look for opportunities to scale initiatives
- Developing and implementing the lab’s work-plan across various projects
- Coordinate and collaborate with other units within the Society to meet the objectives of the innovation unit and the Lab.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, preferably Mechanical, Computer Science, Electrical and Electronics or related field(s).
- 3-5 years experience in working in an innovation lab environment
- Postgraduate degree and relevant courses will be an added advantage
- Knowledge of advanced fabrication Lab-related technologies
- Demonstrate experience in setting up systems in a project manager or similar role
- Demonstrate experience in leadership in technical projects. Preferably hardware projects.
- Demonstrate experience in planning and budgeting
- Ability to learn and apply new technologies and to effectively assist others on the same
- Strong verbal and interpersonal communication skills
- Proficiency in written communication skills
- Ability to work collaboratively and with minimal supervision
- Ability to balance multiple priorities in a deadline-driven environment
- Attention to detail and organizational skills
- Ability to work with diverse groups/populations
- Auto CAD skills will be an advantage
- 3D printing skills will be an advantage
- Knowledge around community engagement
How To Apply
Interested candidates who meet the above qualifications should apply strictly through https://www.redcross.or.ke/Careers so as to reach us not later than 31st July 2020;
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Job disclaimer and notification: Kenya Red Cross Society is an equal opportunity employer and does not charge / accept any amount or security deposit from job seekers during the selection process or while inviting candidates for an interview.