The primary purpose of the Project Manager position is to implement two key integrated CC multi-year development projects. The two projects are focussed on supporting improved livelihoods and self-reliance of refugees with Livelihoods and Food Security (LFS), Education (youth) and Information, Counselling and Legal Assistance (ICLA) in an integrated fashion.
The role will be based out of the Area Office in Dadaab and this role will directly report to the Area Manager. The main focus of the role is to support effective project management of two key 3 year multi CC projects and the Project Manager will support the Area Manager though line management of all CC Project Coordinators across the Dadaab project portfolio.
The role involves both internal project management (ensuring the projects are implemented in line with Project Cycle Management (PCM) framework) and managing Project Coordinators to ensure the project work plans, M&E work plans and procurement plans are developed and adhered to. The Project Manager will also have key role in monthly Area-level meetings to ensure that projects are being delivered on target, implemented according to the budget, and proper financial monitoring is undertaken. The Project Manager will ensure the quality of project delivery and the use of M&E to support regular learning.
The Project Manager will have a representational role in terms of developing close and collaborative relationships with all key stakeholders for successfully project deliverable as well as representing NRC in relevant camp-level and Garissa-level coordination forums. The Project Manager will take the lead on developing timely and quality reporting to project donors and supporting proposal development for identified new funding opportunities.
Duties and responsibilities
- Line management for project staff.
- Adherence to NRC policies, guidance and procedures.
- Contribute to the development of Country, Area and CC strategies, initiate and participate in the development of relevant CC projects.
- Management and overall coordination for integrated CC projects implementation (activities, budget and project documentation) in line with proposals, strategies and donor requirements.
- Implement technical direction and ensure high technical quality of projects.
- Provide regular progress reports to the Area Manager and the Head of Programme and promote and share ideas for improvement and recommend necessary changes in activities.
- Development of holistic and needs based programmes, including cash-based interventions and marked based programmes
- Ensure that projects target beneficiaries most in need of protection, explore and asses new and better ways to assist.
- Develop and manage project budget (in cooperation with Project Coordinators) and coordinate across CCs .
- Promote the rights of refugees in line with the advocacy strategy
- Start up of new projects in terms of the development of project work plans and other supporting documents.
- Primary liaison with Danish Refugee Council (lead-applicant for a consortium) and International Trade Centre (key partner in the delivery of market-driven approaches under projects).
- Represent NRC in key Dadaab camp and Garissa-level coordination forums.
- Liaise and collaborate with relevant local authorities and other key stakeholders for effective project implementation.
- Ensure capacity development of project staff and transfer key skills.
- Ensure the development and review of Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and supporting documents and monitor their use in project activities.
- Ensure the inclusion of cash-based interventions and marked based programmes in country and area-based strategies and their implementation across and within NRC’s core competencies
- Provide an enabling environment for the implementation of cash-based interventions, including multi-purpose cash assistance, emergency cash responses
- Ensuring in consultation with the M&E team that strong M&E work plans are in place and are delivered. Support regular review and learning events on the basis of M&E.
- Ensure donor compliance in project implementation and coordinate timely project reporting to donors.
- Support the development of new funding proposals identified by NRC.
- Any other tasks as assigned by the Area Manager.
- Minimum 4 years of experience from a senior level project implementation position in a humanitarian/recovery context
- Experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Knowledge of cash-based interventions and market based programmes
- Technical Livelihoods and Food Security expertise
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Knowledge about own leadership skills/profile
- Fluency in English, both written and verbal
- Knowledge of the humanitarian and development context related to refugees in Kenya, specific experience in Dadaab highly desirable.
- Experience with project start up
- Experience with managing integrated projects across different sectors
- Experience managing and lead large teams
- Managing resources to optimize results
- Managing performance and development
- Empowering and building trust
- Handling insecure environments
- Excellent communication and team building skills
We can offer
- Duty station: Dadaab
- Contract period is one year renewable depending on funding availability.
- Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s general directions, The candidate will observe NRC’s Code of Conduct and working hours for the NRC Office in Dadaab.
***Qualified female candidates are highly encouraged to apply for this position***
Qualified and interested candidates to apply through the link below: