You will be required to produce a current (within 3 months) Original Police Clearance Certificate or waiting receipt during interview in case you are shortlisted
Job Title : Disaster Risk Reduction & Climate Change Advisor
Reporting to : Technical Program Manager- Child Learning and Household Resilience
Grade Level : 16
Work Location : Nairobi
Purpose of Position
Provide strategic guidance and coordination of Disaster and Risk Reduction (DRR) & Climate Action interventions within the field operation areas through strengthening climate resilient programing as a means to enhancing DRR and disaster management across the Technical Program, grant projects and in line with FY 21-25 strategy guidance for increased Household resilience and towards safe and healthy environment for children.
Technical support 30%
- Provide effective technical support to project teams on roll out of child responsive DRR and climate action elements in the National Office and within AP & grants projects.
- Ensure DRR and Climate action strategic and operational plans guidance and roll out across the organization.
- Ensure accountability and institutionalization of DRR in WVK through the application of disaster risk management and climate resilient programming.
- Participate in joint technical coordination, planning and review meetings for DRR and Environment and Climate Change plans and initiatives within the organization and externally including with government.
- Develop and or review children sensitive DRR and climate action programming/planning guidelines and business processes to support smooth implementation
- Enhance skills and capacities of staff and partners in DRR and Climate Action strategies, successful models and approaches in the Child Learning and HH Resilience TP and other TPs.
- Coordinate regular learning forum to profile, communicate and ensure adoption of promising practices as well as disseminate strategic DRR and climate action guidelines
- Support/enhance linkages with EARO and GC DRR, Climate action and Resilient Livelihoods learning centers for continued backstopping to enable quality programming within WVK
Accountability, Learning and Innovation 25%
- Ensure all programme/operations staff are aware of core humanitarian standards (people in aid, sphere, WV standards etc
- Develop training materials and manuals on child responsive DRR and Climate Action.
- Development of Child Learning and HH Resilience TP Design and/or yearly Annual Operation Plan (AOPs, DIPs, Annual Budgets)
- Support programs/projects to ensure that high quality Technical Program/Project Designs are in place while mainstreaming DRR and Climate action in the project/programs
- Support in ensuring quality (re)-design for Child Learning and HH Resilience TP projects and climate change grants, AOPs, proposals and concepts as per LEAP guidelines and other standards
- Ensure interpretation and utilization of assessment, baselines, evaluations and verification on quality of designs
- Strengthen research, learning, documentation and dissemination of WVK work in DRR and Climate Action
- Ensure development of standardized monitoring tools for tracking DRR and climate change indicators.
- Upscale and support WVK’s current work and integration on DRR and Climate Action within and among WVK’s areas of operation
- Facilitate Early Warning & Early Action processes and ensure institutionalizing EWS in WVK
- Facilitate Regions and Programs to develop high quality integrated DRR and Climate Action projects through conceptualization, innovation, development and planning
- Gather data at National level for reporting on DRR and Climate action as well as reports (MMR, Semi-Annual, Annual Reports) and CWB Annual Report
- Conduct trainings for staff on emerging/contemporary trends on DRR and climate change for increased awareness and integration.
- Provide periodic trainings to IDMC and NDMT members.
- Program Development and Resource Acquisition 25%
- Lead in development and utilization of MOUs / working agreements with sector strategic, funding and program/project implementation partners
- § Participate in Go-No Go Processes, write ups, meeting with prospective donors and submission of concepts/proposals
- Technically support Resource Acquisition & Management (RAM) team to develop proposals/concepts to prospective donors and SOs for DRR and Climate Action Projects in general as per the yearly set targets;
- Physically present/defend DRR and Climate Action Proposals to donors in coordination with RAM when required
- § Respond effectively to calls and queries by donors and SOs on key Concepts/Proposals in coordination with RAM and;
- Develop Sector Specific Job Descriptions for technical staff in liaison with People & Culture
- Engagement, Networking and Advocacy 15%
- Establish and maintain strategic contacts with the UN, Government, INGOs, Universities, Research Institutions, Donors and Embassies
- Ensure WVK representation in key strategic DRR and Climate Action working groups and forums
- Ensure mainstreaming of advocacy in Child Learning and HH Resilience TP projects
- Ensure key International Days are celebrated in partnership with key stakeholders.
- Carry out any duties that may be assigned from time to time by the supervisor
- Participate and contribute in committees and task forces as may be signed from time to time
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Disaster Management, Environmental studies, Climate Change, Natural Resource Management, Social sciences, International Development or a closely related field from a recognized university related discipline
- Relevant Post graduate qualification(s) will be an added advantage
- Minimum of 7 years’ experience in implementing and providing strategic guidance in DRR and Climate Action programming across projects.
- Good understanding of climate change issues and natural resource management, resilience, adaptation, mitigation, low carbon development and environmental stewardship.
- Demonstrated track record in proposal development, funding acquisitions and grant management for major government donors preferred.
- Understanding of the working of Government in relevant sectors and/or of development partner’s projects, policies and strategies.
- Relevant experience in the private sector engagement and research or academic experience.
- Good understanding of the international trends and approaches at both national and global levels
- Excellent project management skills and a good understanding of the project life cycle – PMD Pro;
- Membership with professional environment and climate change is added advantage
- Computer literate especially in Microsoft Office Suite
How to Apply
For more information on the job and application procedure, please visit: http://careers.wvi.org/job-opportunities-in-africa and submit your online application including a detailed CV, current and expected salary, with names of three referees. Current Police Clearance Certificate or proof of application for the same will be required during interviews**.** Application deadline is October 11, 2020 at midnight. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted**.**
World Vision is a child focused organization and upholds the rights and wellbeing of children. Our recruitment and selection procedures include screening and background checking for child abuse related offenses. World Vision is an equal opportunity employer.
World Vision does not use employment agencies nor does it charge money for recruitment, interviews, or medical checks. More information about vacancies can be found on our official careers page https://careers.wvi.org/.