Risk & Compliance Officer Job, Audit Jobs In Kenya 2020
Bidhaa Sasa is a women-focused start-up that uniquely combines financing and last-mile distribution of modern household goods in a one-stop shop for the rural heartlands of Kenya. We deliver life improving products, like solar systems or efficient cookstoves, to our clients’ doorsteps while making all products both accessible and affordable to the under-served and unbanked through consumer financing. Since our humble beginnings in 2015, we have reached more than 50,000 clients and are expanding our reach further with new locations in Kenya and Uganda.
About the role
We are looking for a female candidate who is a highly analytical individual and has excellent interpersonal skills to fill the position of Risk and Compliance Officer. She will have the primary responsibility of challenging all business processes and controls to ensure they adhere to internal guidelines, ethical practices and legal requirements while continuously suggesting improvements; and that staff in turn comply with those policies, process and guidelines.
Your duties will include, quality control of processes, procedures and controls while working on developing solutions aimed at improving overarching policies with the Business Processes Manager. Additionally, you are good in detecting gaps in the way things are done, measure to what extent these gaps affect business operations negatively, report and advise on the corrective measures to be taken. This includes advising the business on policies and best practices as well as standardisation of processes to ensure mitigation of risks, efficiency and effectiveness.
This is a mid-level role where the job holder will report directly to the Founders of Bidhaa Sasa and be based in the Nairobi office though with travel across the branches regularly.
Additionally, this is an opportunity to be part of a growing start-up with big ambitions and a dedicated team
but it also means that it’s a rapidly changing environment, requiring you to be responsive and adaptable.
- Assist in the development and implementation of a risk management and control strategy challenging Processes and Controls. Set and monitor performance metrics for compliance standards. The work will focus on the following internal business risks:
- Operational Risk; Collaborate with the Business Processes Manager to review and suggest improvement of operational policies, procedures, processes and controls
- Review of sales and other processes checking for any gaps that may result in business losses
- Conduct quality checks to ensure that field staff adhere to business processes
- Identify and measure potential risks to the business and advise relevant line managers on the appropriate steps to take
- Lead incident investigations by conducting a root cause analysis and to ensure necessary corrective actions are implemented to prevent future cases
- Conduct mystery shopper exercises regularly
- Conduct Risk; Develop an internal policy relating to fraud prevention and implementation of the same, Review and interrogate the expenditure of every staff and identifying patterns and trends across different branches, Check for compliance in cost of operation per region, Consistently provide guidance on ways to reduce operational costs, Collaborate with the Business Processes Manager and HR team to educate and train employees on internal policies aimed at mitigating risk
- Regulatory Risk; Conduct regular audits of the company procedures and practices to identify possible weaknesses or Conduct periodic review of the business compliance with regulatory requirements including health and safety requirements
- Credit Risk; Together with the management team review and improve current policies relating to client’s
- loans, repayment behaviour, delinquency and write offs
- Conduct quality check of the Group Liability strengths and weaknesses
- You are passionate about rural development and making a difference for the less well-off
- You have at least 5 years’ demonstrable experience in a similar role specifically auditing and improving processes
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Commerce, Business Management, or any other relevant field
- Candidates with previous experience in the following fields are preferred: Manufacturing, Logistics, FMCG or MFI/SACCO
- You have good working knowledge of business legal requirements and procedures including risk management strategies
- Professional training in quality management systems and/or audit requirements will be an added advantage
- You possess high levels of integrity and professional ethics
- You are analytical, detail-oriented and enjoy identifying patterns and trends to reveal actionable insights
- You are a team player and excellent at building long-term relationships internally (with colleagues) and externally (e.g. with clients)
- You are willing to travel across the branches to get first-hand insights into the different processes by engaging with staff, clients, and any other relevant parties
NOTE: This position is open to female candidates only