School Librarian Job, Librarian Jobs In Kenya 2020,
Shining Hope for Communities (SHOFCO) is an internationally-recognized grassroots organization that unlocks the potential of urban slum dwellers to lead hopeful and fulfilling lives. SHOFCO disrupts survival mode by providing critical services including health care, clean water, education, and economic empowerment; and linking these efforts to a community-led advocacy platform. SHOFCO currently impacts over 350,000 individuals across 10 urban slums in Kenya, and is the largest employer in Kibera. SHOFCO is a trusted name and service provider in Kibera with a 10-year track record. For more information, please visit www.shofco.org.
To be responsible for management of library’s information materials and library clients in line with SHOFCO’s aim to provide education in slum areas.
Key duties and responsibilities
- Research and select library materials.
- Develop special programs like outreach program.
- Prepare budgetary information and reports.
- Ensure prompt opening of the Library at appointed times.
- Catalogue, classify and maintain library materials using bar codes and call numbers.
- Manage users in the library to meet user’s needs.
- Analyze user’s needs to determine what books are appropriate.
- Search and provide books for users.
- Ensure entry of data and regular update of entries into the library system.
- Return books to shelves.
- Repair damaged books and maintain catalogue.
- Induction of new program users providing comprehensive reference and information on resource center activities.
- Diploma in Library and Information Science
- Dedicated to serving the community by providing assistance in information retrieval and research techniques.
- Committed to promoting literacy in the school by supporting reading programs and other student education initiatives.
- Extensive knowledge about materials, research databases, circulation, and other aspects of archiving.
Other requirements (unique/job specific)
- At least a years experience in performing library services preferably school setup
- Record Management skills will be an added advantage
- Ability to manage a library and its collection
- Articulating information
- Examining information
- Generating ideas
- Checking things
- Directing people
- Interacting with people
- Following procedures
- Inviting feedback
How to Apply
Interested applicants should send their applications together with a detailed Cover letter and CV to the HR Manager firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications without this information will not be considered. DO NOT ATTACH TESTIMONIALS at this point. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Applications should reach us no later than 6th November