Summary of the Position
USP’s Promoting the Quality of Medicine Plus (PQM+) Program Manager will be responsible for providing strategic management and technical leadership in USP’s PQM+ portfolios (country and regional – IGAD) to achieve program goals and ensure that activities are aligned with PQM+ needs and priorities for Kenya and the Intergovernmental Authority on Development (IGAD). S/he will need to work independently and strategically, coordinating closely with USP HQ as well as in-country staff and consultants. S/he needs to be able to problem solve and be willing to roll up their sleeves to accomplish objectives on time.
Roles and Responsibilities
· Provides technical and management leadership to country and IGAD regional portfolios, as assigned, through the support of the Director, Eastern and Southern Africa, and the technical team under the Technical Director; ensures strategic, programmatic and contractual integrity of PQM+ projects in Kenya and the IGAD region.
· Develops work plans, assigns budget in the work plans, and oversees the implementation of programmatic activities in order to meet PQM+ programmatic objectives for the portfolio.
· Collaborates with the in-county teams and HQ staff to ensure the documentation of the program activities, highlighting technical and programmatic innovations, strengths, results and impact at local and international forums, technical briefs, in peer review journals, and communications.
· Leads and participates in assessment teams to evaluate and provide recommendations on medicines quality assurance and control capabilities in countries as requested.
· Develops strong relationship with USAID missions and other key stakeholders.
· Works closely with technical and country program team to identify opportunities for innovation, harmonize approaches, and maintain high quality standards in activity implementation.
· Collaborates with other international and local partners in-country to jointly achieve the public health program goals. Designs programs and create business opportunities for program growth and sustainability.
· Represents USP as a speaker or a participant at local and international health and donor communities and provides technical leadership and insight on PQM+.
· Articulates PQM+’s objectives and mission to various stakeholders to promote the mission of the PQM+ program.
· Provides critical input into the monitoring and evaluations of assigned programs and requires strong communication and coordination with field staff, support departments within PQM+ and USP HQ.
· Bachelor’s degree in pharmaceutical sciences, public health, or related field required
· Minimum of 6 years of progressive experience in managing public health programs in Kenya; an equivalent combination of experience and education may be substituted.
· Experience working with high-level officials in funding agencies, international organizations, private foundations, ministries of health.
· Master’s degree in pharmaceutical sciences, public health, or related field preferred
· Experience working with international non-governmental organizations and national diseases programs strongly preferred in low- and middle-income countries
· Extensive understanding of how medicine regulatory systems function in low- and middle-income countries
· Demonstrated experience working with and familiarity with USAID required.
· Results driven with demonstrated successful outcomes
· Must possess ability to handle multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment
· Ability to travel both domestically and internationally at least 30% of the time.
· Significant experience as a team player and commitment to bringing about change through a partnership approach
How to Apply
Please submit your application to GPHKenyaRecruitment@USP.org quoting the position “Program Manager- PQM+” in the email subject matter by December 4, 2020.