Communications Internship, Current Communications Jobs,
Posting Title: INTERN – Communications and Design, I (Temporary Job Opening)
Job Code Title: INTERN – PROGRAMME MANAGEMENT
Department/Office: United Nations Human Settlements Programme
Duty Station: NAIROBI
Posting Period: 14 December 2020 – 28 December 2020
Job Opening Number: 20-Programme Management-UN-HABITAT-146326-J-Nairobi (O)
United Nations Core Values: Integrity, Professionalism, Respect for Diversity
The United Nations Human Settlements Programme, UN-Habitat, is the agency for human settlements. It is mandated by the UN General Assembly to promote socially and environmentally sustainable towns and cities with the goal of providing adequate shelter for all.
The UN-Habitat Communications and Design internship is for 6 months.
In the context of the COVID-19 pandemic, applicants may be requested to undertake the internship remotely in view of constraints regarding visa issuance, international travel and access to UN premises. Applicants must be willing and prepared to undertake the internship remotely for a part or the entirety of the internship. The work hours during the internship shall be determined based on individual discussion between the intern and the supervisor(s) taking into consideration the minimum requirements of the Organization and the time difference between the hosting office and the location of the intern
The Internship is UNPAID and full-time.
Interns work five days per week under the supervision of a staff member in the department or office to which they are assigned.
Daily responsibilities will depend on the individual’s background; the intern’s assigned office as well as the internship period.
Under the direct supervision of the Hunan Settlements Officers,Regional Office for Africa (ROAf) the intern will:
- Familiarize with the UN-Habitat mandate, UN-Habitat policies and strategic plan.
- Support the organization, promotion and coordination of newly completed reports, events, partnerships, and other initiatives.
- Support the development of the design and layout, including graphic design and illustrations, of publications, reports, web articles, posters, infographics, presentations and other communication products to raise visibility of programme work.
- Support the drafting of communication and promotional materials for outputs such as concept notes, background papers, technical papers, the newly completed reports and other publications.
- Assist in research, drafting and editing of content for newsletters, compiling impact stories, social media and UN-Habitat websites including UN-Habitat innovation web page, and follow up to ensure content is uploaded on time and is shared through the different social media platforms.
- Support the design and development of the newly completed reports, update the website regularly and support its day-to-day operational maintenance.
- Assist in planning, promoting and organization of meetings or substantive presentations and the day-to-day operations and the preparation of special events.
- Support any printing process, in coordination with the other relevant offices, for official publications, posters, presentation and other outputs.
- Perform any other tasks as may be assigned from time to time by the team.
- Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively. Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately. Asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication. Tailors language, tone, style and format to match the audience. Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
- Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals. Solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others. Places team agenda before personal agenda. Supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position. Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
- Client orientation: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be ‘clients’ and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view. Establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect. Identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions. Monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems. Keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects. Meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
- Applicants must at the time of application meet one of the following requirements: a. Be enrolled in a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher);
- b. Be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree program (minimum Bachelor’s level or equivalent);
- c. Have graduated with Bachelor’s degree, Masters, PhD or equivalent.
- Be computer literate in standard software applications.
- Have demonstrated keen interest in the work of the United Nations and have a personal commitment to the ideals of the Charter;
- Have a demonstrated ability to successfully interact with individuals of different cultural backgrounds and beliefs, which include willingness to try and understand and be tolerant of differing opinions and views
How to Apply: