Please note it can be a home-based opportunity.
CONSULTANCY – Policy Specialist Greening & Sustainability – DFAM/GMIS
UNHCR, the UN Refugee Agency, is offering a consultancy full-time position within the Greening & Sustainability Project in our Global Mobility and Infrastructure (GMIS) Section.
UNHCR is a global organization dedicated to saving lives, protecting rights and building a better future for refugees, forcibly displaced communities and stateless people. Every year, millions of men, women and children are forced to flee their homes to escape conflict and persecution. We are in over 125 countries, using our expertise to protect and care for millions.
- Title: Policy Specialist
- Duty Station: Nairobi, Kenya or Home based
- Duration: 6 months
- Contract Type: Consultancy contract
- Closing date: 30 December 2020
- Start date: 17 January 2021
In 2007, the UN Climate Neutral Strategy was developed, and organizations committed to move their respective organizations to climate neutrality. Since then, UNHCR has continuously improved its efforts in promoting the careful use of energy resources by refugees, host communities, partner organizations and as a priority by UNHCR itself. In 2019, UNHCR developed its Global Strategy for Sustainable Energy 2019-2024 which aims to enable persons of concern to UNHCR to meet their energy needs in a safe and sustainable manner. It also launched the Clean Energy Challenge and is currently working on a first comprehensive Strategic Framework on Climate Action.
In 2020, UNHCR developed a new internal Greening & Sustainability strategy in order to improve its environmental performance, climate compatibility and resource efficiency. The UNHCR Greening & Sustainability strategy focuses on three main areas:
Green Box: measure global energy consumption of UNHCR offices in order to migrate from fossil fuels to renewable energy. Procure and install electricity meters in all UNHCR offices; create centrally managed dashboard with real-time data; carry out energy audits of all UNHCR offices; and prepare business cases for each UNHCR office to identify alternative energy options.
Green Fund: Develop innovative financing model to migrate UNHCR offices from fossil fuels to renewable energy Establish internal UNHCR Green Revolving Fund to convert UNHCR Operations from diesel to renewable energy; use the Fund to procure from private sector independent power producers through Power Purchase Agreements; aim to achieve positive carbon impact and positive financial impact to budget (cost effective).
Green Data: Implement dynamic technology platform for real-time monitoring and data visualization Establish systems and policies for real-time, high quality data collection of GHG emissions, energy, waste and water across UNHCR; create data warehouse and dashboards for easy monitoring, reporting and decision-making.
The Policy Specialist will support the Greening & Sustainability Team of the Global Mobility and Infrastructure Service (GMIS) within the Division of Financial and Administrative Management (DFAM). DFAM contributes to safeguarding the financial resources entrusted to UNHCR by maintaining and improving the financial and administrative systems, policies and procedures and promoting cost-effective and transparent use of these resources. GMIS is a new service within DFAM which merges four functions: global fleet management, global travel, global facilities management and global asset management. Greening & Sustainability is one of GMIS main cross-functional areas.
The Policy Specialist will focus mainly on supporting the Greening & Sustainability Team in policy and guidelines development.
Duties and responsibilities
• Develop, coordinate and launch policy and guidelines for a UNHCR levy/green tax on e.g. commercial air travel, and vehicles;
• Conduct research and analysis on existing policies e.g. from other UN-agencies in this area and conclude on most suitable approach for UNHCR;
• Develop, coordinate and launch UNHCR-wide environmental policy to guide UNHCR Offices on internal UNHCR carbon emission sources such as travel, facilities and fleet management, waste and water management, and building management;
• Support in creating a UNHCR-wide Environmental Management System (EMS) as part of UNHCR’s management system;
• Support the Greening & Sustainability Team with the development of technical guidelines and best practices in the implementation of clean energy interventions;
• Coordinate consultations with all relevant experts including UNHCR colleagues at HQ (travel, facilities, global fleet), in Regional Bureaux and Country Offices as well as colleagues from other UN agencies and external experts;
• Prepare supporting material, communication content and analytical reports and liaise with GMIS Communications Associate and the Special Coordinator for Internal Communications in publishing and promoting developed policies and guidelines internally on the UNHCR Intranet and other platforms;
• Ensure compliance of UNHCR policy guidelines and Greening & Sustainability strategy as well as with UN-wide methodologies and Greening the Blue targets;
• Perform other duties as required.
UNHCR policy/guideline on internal levy/green tax and UNHCR-wide environmental policy to guide UNHCR Offices on internal UNHCR carbon emission sources such as travel, facilities and fleet management, waste and water management, and building management
Delivery Periodicity, as applicable: each working month short written summary of work done to be together submitted with invoice, actions required from co-workers and information on the work steps to follow, as well as pending items that need resolution
Essential minimum qualifications and professional experience required
• Academic qualifications: Advance university degree in engineering, sustainable development studies, economics, business administration, environmental management, or relevant fields.
• Experience: A minimum of six years relevant professional experience involving technical and analytical responsibilities; knowledge of policy writing, experience in environmental context desirable; proven data collection, analysis and communication skills; proven record in producing simple, clear, and high-quality strategic documents; familiarity with and professional experience directly related to energy and infrastructure topics an asset; experience working in humanitarian or global development settings, and/or for the UN or other humanitarian/development agencies preferred.
• Language: Fluency in English required. Knowledge of another UN language is an asset.
The successful candidate will be based in Nairobi, Kenya or home based.
The consultancy is for six months and the expected start date is 17 January 2021. It is a fulltime role with working hours starting from 9.00am to 6.00pm Monday to Friday (40 hours per week).
Supervisor of the Individual Consultant: project Coordinator Greenbox, Greening & Sustainability Team, GMIS, DFAM
How to Apply
The UNHCR workforce consists of many diverse nationalities, cultures, languages and opinions. UNHCR seeks to sustain and strengthen this diversity to ensure equal opportunities as well as an inclusive working environment for its entire workforce. Applications are encouraged from all qualified candidates without distinction on grounds of race, color, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation and gender identity.
To learn more and to apply, visit https://bit.ly/2K6pqNA
Closing date: 30 December 2020 (midnight Geneva time).