Head Of Engineering Job, Current Engineering Jobs,
The Nairobi Hospital, a leading health care institution in Eastern Africa has excellent career opportunities for individuals who possess a passion for excellence, strong work ethic, are results oriented and committed to continual improvement. The successful candidates will be team players with the ability to effectively add value to enabling good patient outcomes and shape best clinical and non-clinical practice.
NB: THE NAIROBI HOSPITAL DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING).
HEAD OF ENGINEERING, REF: TNH/HRD/HOE/01/2021
Reporting to Director Human Resources & Operations, the successful candidate will be responsible for providing leadership and management oversight for the engineering department in order to ensure the hospital’s plant and facilities are in good working condition in line with established quality and safety standards.
- Develop creative and innovative strategies in engineering services in line with the Hospital’s overall strategy;
- Translate the strategic aims of the unit into achievable plans, with established priorities and make periodic adjustments as required;
- Keep abreast of local and global best practices in engineering service and make recommendations to the Director HR & Operations on how this impact the Hospital;
- Demonstrate ownership of and communicate the Engineering Services strategic direction and objectives to all staff;
- Develop policies and procedures for engineering services and provide guidance to management in the interpretation and implementation of these;
- Continuously review and update and enhance the Hospital’s engineering services policy and procedures manual;
- Prepare a schedule for the implementation of construction and maintenance works and services for the Hospital;
- Review construction designs, specification and bill of quantities, estimation reports in line with requirements;
- Oversee the preparation of design, specification, bill of quantities and cost estimation for constructions, and maintenance/modification and expansion works;
- Oversee building constructions and maintenance or modifications and report on progress as per the Hospital’s policies, procedures and guidelines;
- Ensure that payment certificates are prepared as per the terms and condition of the contract;
- Ensure planning permission has been duly been applied for from relevant government authorities;
- Ensure that construction and maintenance or modification of buildings is done in accordance with the design, specification and the terms and conditions of the contract;
- Make periodic visits to construction sites as deemed necessary;
- Follow up the proper implementation of construction and maintenance or modification activities and submit progress report timely.
- Ensure that proper records and documents are maintained for construction in progress and terminated contracts;
- Plan, lead and monitor the performance of outsourced consultants and/or contractors.
- Advise management in selection of appropriate locations/sites for construction of buildings.
- Oversee the preparation of tenders for construction works and participate in the tender process for evaluation and selection of contractors/consultants/suppliers for construction and/or modification;
- Oversee modification and new constructions to ensure that works are completed within budget and the expected standards;
- Ensure that design works and contract documents for new works are prepared in accordance with laws, regulations, and standards prevailing in the industry and the Hospital;
- In consultation with the Legal Department, ensure preparation of contract agreements for building construction, maintenance, modification and expansion works;
- Monitor service level agreements (SLA) and report periodically;
- Approve payments within the discretionary limits set by the Hospital;
- Prepare the engineering budget and monitor its implementation upon approval;
- Identify, deploy and motivate the engineering team including performance appraisal, identification of training needs, mentorship and coaching as well as leave and absence management in line with the hospital’s people agenda; and
- Perform any other responsibilities that may be assigned to the job holder by the supervisor from time to time.
- Master’s degree in Mechanical, Civil or Electrical Engineering or any other business related fields from a recognized institution.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical, Civil or Electrical Engineering or any other related field form a recognized institution.
- Must be registered with the Engineering Board of Kenya and hold a valid practicing license.
- Minimum of 10 years’ mechanical/electrical engineering experience with 5 years at management level.
Technical & Behavioral competencies
- Demonstrate in depth knowledge in architectural and civil engineering areas.
- Good IT skills and a familiarity with industry-specific software and modelling programmes.
- Excellent numeracy skills.
- Property contract management skills.
- Project management skills.
- Ability to lead, influence and drive change initiatives in support of business strategies within the department/unit.
- Strong leadership and skills to foster teamwork; develop and motivate staff, resolve conflicts as well as ability to provide direction, guidance, momentum and vision in order to achieve organizational objectives
- Demonstrated business acumen – able to create strategy and actions that impact business success
- Strong communication and presentation skills including ability to develop proposals, concept papers, position papers as well as write reports and prepare relevant publications
- High level interpersonal and cross-cultural skills, including ability to build alliances and collaborative relationships with sensitivity to diversity
- Strong expertise in strategic management project planning and budgeting, resource management, implementation as well as monitoring and evaluation
- Must be a self-starter, highly organized, and able to work well with people at all levels in the organization
- Strategic thinking and problem-solving skills
- Analytical and creative thinking skills
- Strong persuasion and negotiation skills
How to Apply
NB: If your background, experience and competence match the above specifications, please send us your application (cover letter & CV/Resume) quoting the job reference number, your current remuneration, testimonials and full contact details of 3 referees, to reach the undersigned not later than 28th January 2021. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
- Candidates invited for interviews will be required to present both originals and clear copies (where applicable) of the following documents:
- National I.D.
- KRA PIN Certificate
- Current Colored Passport Photo
- NSSF Card
- NHIF Card
- Valid Certificate of Good Conduct
- Academic and Professional Certificates
- Certificates of Service from previous employers
Director Human Resources & Operations
The Nairobi Hospital
P.O. Box 30026 – 00100