Save the Children international Kenya country office in collaboration with Bioversity International intends to implement a Community-based Participatory Approach for Diet and Farm Diversity – a project aimed at improving dietary quality and livelihoods using farm and wild biodiversity in Busia County. The Nutrition Officer position will be responsible for implementation of the project to achieve the objectives outlined in the project document. The post holder will ensure the effective and efficient implementation of activities as per the scope of work outlined in the agreement. S/he will ensure timely and quality delivery of the deliverables. The main output is implementation of Community Action Plan (CAP), which outlines activities and processes for achieving the desired results. The role holder will be technically supported by Nutrition Technical Specialist and Child Poverty Technical Specialist. In the event of a major humanitarian emergency, the role holder will be expected to work outside the normal role profile and be able to vary working hours accordingly.
Contract Duration: 12 Months
Work Location: Busia
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
Project planning and inception
- Prepare project briefs in consultation with Bioversity International and Save the Children international technical team.
- Participate in the kick-off and various meetings in Busia County organised by Bioversity International.
- Collaborate with Bioversity International in identification and mobilization of project partners and collaborators.
- Collaborate with Bioversity International researchers and other partners in supporting community adaption of the prototype farm business school and nutrition education developed for use by Bioversity International and Save the Children.
- Participate in the co-learning and co-creation of knowledge during the Community Action Plan (CAP) development phase.
- Monitor the community groups during CAP implementation phase and oversee trainings conducted by implementing partners.
- Identify and conduct additional trainings as needed such as farmer, business schools and maintain training database of participants details – names, age, gender, ID or phone number
- Provide assistance for the smooth implementation of research activities by students and Bioversity staff (such as informing communities/stakeholders about visits).
- Participate in the co-creation with Bioversity International, local stakeholders such as the Busia county government, Ministry of Agriculture, Livestock and Forestry (MoALF) and Ministry of Health (MoH) and other interested parties.
- Participate in the development and dissemination workshops of the national scale up strategy for Kenya.
- Contribute to adaptation and contextualization of intervention manual and nutrition education tools.
Monitoring, documentation and reporting
- Track project performance and document achievements.
- Document human interest stories, lessons learnt and best practices from the project implementation for learning and replicate in other project areas.
- Conduct day to day monitoring of the project activities, progress of activity plan and provide feedback to improve project performance.
- Plan and conduct data review meetings, document findings and recommendations and work with counties to implement the agreed actions.
- Plan and facilitate meeting with Bioversity project stakeholders by preparing the agenda of the meetings in consultation with Bioversity and minutes/notes and summary reports from the meetings and share with stakeholders after being approved by PM and/or chair of the meeting.
- In consultation with MEAL staff, develop process output and outcome level indictors for the Bioversity project in conformity with Save the Children MEAL plan and the Bioversity monitoring plan.
- Prepare context adapted farmer business school training and Bi-monthly progress and monitoring reports on the CAPs implementation for each of the target 5 intervention groups.
- Prepare monthly, quarterly, annual and final narrative reports as per agreement.
- Collect complaints and feedback during field activities and ensure that these are shared with MEAL officers for updating of the CFRM database
- Escalate complaints and feedback of a serious nature to Program Manager and field office child safeguarding focal point.
- Ensure quality implementation of the project
- Develop monthly activity work plan and track the progress regularly
- Ensure activities are implemented within the approved budget
- Develop quality monthly, quarterly and annual project performance reports for review by Technical Specialists and submission to donors and stakeholders
- Ensure integration of project plans in the County health and nutrition annual work plan (AWPs) by actively participating in County planning and coordination meetings.
- Be conscious of the activity budget to ensure all expenses are within the approved limits and meet Save the Children standards regarding financial management, accountability, and good governance
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree in Nutrition, public health, community development or equivalent.
- At least three years’ experience in humanitarian programs in an international NGO or similar organization.
- Experience in research methods such as participatory assessment (e.g. Participatory Rural Appraisal) nutrition assessments will be an added advantage.
- Good technical knowledge of policy and practice in the field of nutrition and livelihoods. Knowledge of natural resource, crop and livestock production and other cross cutting issues will be helpful.
- Good understanding of county government systems and operations including County and Sub-County Health Management Teams, agricultural Extension services and community engagement.
- An experience or understanding of community seasonal use of wild foods in meeting nutritional needs.
- An understanding of child rights and their protection and fulfilment in the development context.
- Proficiency in spoken and written English. Knowledge of the local language and context will be a distinct advantage.
- Good communication, presentation, training and report writing skills.
- Ability to take a proactive approach in community capacity building, either directly or through facilitation of suitable support and experience in leading a team in fieldwork with communities.
- Willing to work in isolated rural areas with basic living conditions, and work in difficult field conditions.
- Computer literate in word processing and excel packages
- Commitment to Save the Children’s Child Protection Policy.
- Ability to adapt to different cultures.
- Ability to work in teams.
- Experience in designing and facilitating training sessions and activities for children and community structures.
We employ approximately 25,000 people across the globe and work on the ground in over 100 countries to help children affected by crises, or those that need better healthcare, education and protection. We also campaign and advocate at the highest levels to realise the rights of children and to ensure their voices are heard.
We are working towards three breakthroughs in how the world treats children by 2030:
- No child dies from preventable causes before their 5th birthday
- All children learn from a quality basic education and that,
- Violence against children is no longer tolerated
How to apply
Please apply in English saving your CV and covering letter as a single document, including your salary expectations for this role. To see a full a job description, please visit our website at . We need to keep children safe so our selection process reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse. Employment is subject to our Child protection standards including background checks and adherence to our Child Safeguarding Policy.
Save the Children is an equal opportunity employer and seeks to employ and assign the best-qualified talent.
Female Candidate are strongly encouraged to apply.
Disclaimer: Save the Children International does not charge any kind of fee at whichever stage of the recruitment process, nor request for medical examination or records and does not act through recruitment agents whatsoever.
How to Apply
Please follow this link to apply: https://www.aplitrak.com/?adid=a2FiZGltdWhzaW4uMjk4NjYuMTIxODVAc2F2ZXRoZ…