Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Aga Khan University Hospital, Nairobi is a private not-for-profit teaching hospital that provides tertiary and secondary level healthcare services. It is the first hospital in East Africa to be accredited by the Joint Commission International from the USA. The University Hospital has been providing high quality care for the people of East Africa and beyond for over 60 years.
Applications are invited from qualified candidates for the above position based in Nairobi Kenya. The position holder will report to the Nurse Manager-Operating Room.
- Ensure complete pre-op assessment including the surgical checklist, nursing documentation and physician’s assessment
- Receive the patient prior to surgery, gets report from the accompanying nurse and performs pre-op checklist.
- Circulate and assist as needed for minor surgeries under supervision
- Ensure effective recovery of stable patients post any form of anaesthesia.
- Assists with intubation and extubation of patient in the Post Anaesthesia Care Unit (PACU) and if required in the Operating Room (OR)
- Communicate with anaesthetist and primary teams regarding patient issues and shifting plans.
- Promptly report both clinical and non-clinical unusual findings to the nurse manager or designee
- Identify patient and family learning needs and initiate appropriate teaching
- Perform pain assessment and initiate analgesia as required
- Ensure that nursing documentation is timely, comprehensive and complete
- Ensure all specimens are properly labelled and delivered to the lab in a timely manner
- Provide safe environment for patients through adherence to infection control practices and other safety policies
- Be able to recognize a patient in a pre-arrest or arrest states and initiate Basic Life Support
- Dispose of clinical and non-clinical waste safely in accordance with Aga Khan University Hospital guidelines on waste management
- Administer medication safely, monitor patient responses to medication and promptly report adverse reactions
- Care of equipment through cleaning, storage, per shift check of the inventory and timely reporting and follow up on non-functional equipment to the nurse manger designee.
- Participate in unit based nursing education, quality improvement (QI) projects, audits, spot checks and skill checks
- RN from a recognized school of nursing or university
- Current licensure with the Nursing Council of Kenya
- Certification in Basic Life Support (BLS)
- Demonstrate evidence based knowledge of current practices in theater nursing.
How to Apply