Chief Operations Officer Job, Other Professions,
The Higher Education Loans Board (HELB) was established in 1995 through an Act of Parliament CAP 213A of the laws of Kenya. The mandate of HELB is to source for funds and provide financing (through loans, scholarships and bursaries) to Kenyans pursuing higher education in institutions of higher learning in and outside Kenya as recognized by Commission for University Education (CUE) and/or the Technical, Vocational Education and Training Authority (TVETA), and recover funds loaned to create a National Revolving Fund. HELB is an innovative institution in the education sector whose focus is to leapfrog how Financing higher education is executed in Kenya by amalgamating public and private sector resources in the country.
HELB is seeking to recruit competent, self-driven individuals with an innate dynamism towards the success and fulfilment of HELB’s mandate and objectives. The successful persons to fill the positions will join a highly performing team should not only be passionate, innovative, and qualified but also, be of high integrity, highly competent, have high dependability and high emotional intelligence, excel- lent interpersonal & communication skills, self-driven with innate dynamism and able to demon- strate strong leadership skills
CHIEF OPERATIONS OFFICER (COO) – HELB GRADE 2
Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer, Chief Operations Officer (COO) is responsible for spearheading the formulation of sound policies, strategies and systems that will drive the vision of the institution, ensure effective and efficient execution of Credit Management function with a loan book in excess of Kshs.93 Billion and customer base in excess of 1,000,000, timely and equitable annual processing and disbursement of loans, bursaries and scholarships to over 394,000 students in 342 local and foreign higher learning institutions with an annual budget of over Kshs.17 Billion and 31 partner funds worth over Kshs.1.4 Billion. Overseeing timely repayment of all matured loans worth Kshs. 69 Billion from over 560,000 past beneficiaries to create a sustainable revolving fund, provision of accurate data for processing of all products applications and management of all institutional documents for ease of storage, retrieval and utilization to support the HELB’s operations and overseeing optimization of digital service delivery to improve customer satisfaction index and aligning the Directorate to the institution’s enterprise risk management framework.
- Overseeing the setting and driving institution’s vision and operational strategy, spearheading the monitoring of all credit management, Enterprise Electronic Data & Documents Manage- ment, business development and institutional relationship management functions to ensure conformity to institutions objectives and the formulation of Institution’s strategic direction to support the strategic initiatives on the core mandate of the institution;
- Overseeing preparation, co-ordination and monitoring of Operations directorate’s annual work plans to achieve set divisional targets and overall institutions objectives, overseeing formulation, implementation and monitoring of directorate action plan, policies and systems for efficient and effective execution of the divisional functions by ensuring it is aligned to the Institution’s overall Strategic Plan;
- Spearheading the formulation, implementation and evaluation of market penetration strate- gies for existing and new markets through recruitment of new customers and product devel- opment to drive business growth in line with the set institution’s targets, strategic and opera- tional management of both electronic and manual records to support the institution’s opera- tions in achieving its objective and the coordination and efficient management of the digitiza- tion process including managing the process of change and review, and implementation of the strategic and operational plans;
- Spearheading the management of institutional digitization framework for efficient service de- livery, formulation and promotional programs and other special event activities to grow stu- dent numbers as per the institution’s Strategic Plan and quality assurance for product devel- opment, creating awareness and uptake in the targeted markets;
- Overseeing the motivation and retention of staff with the aim of enhancing service delivery within the directorate, execution and review of the approved divisional budgets, ensuring alignment to the institutions budget, setting of comprehensive annual performance goals in the division to meet the overall objectives of the institution;
- Spearheading continuous re-engineering of business processes within the division for process improvement, evaluating all periodic performance reports from all business units within the
- directorate for informed decision making, creating and fostering a sustainable success- oriented, accountable environment within the directorate for attainment of divisional and in- stitutional objectives;
- Spearheading the formulation and review of Service Level Agreements (SLAs) and Memoran- dum of Understanding with strategic partners to ensure compliance, development and im- plementation of the division Business Continuity Plan in alignment to the institution’s Busi- ness Continuity Management Framework, implementation of the Enterprise Risk Management framework for governance and risk compliance within the directorate;
- Overseeing strategic planning, student’s loan budget and forecasting of business require- ments, decision-making process, negotiations with the various stakeholders for additional student funding and translating strategy into actionable goals for performance and growth to ensure implementation of institution-wide goal setting, performance management and divi- sional action plan;
- Overseeing credit management of over 1,000,000 current and former students with loans to- taling over 113 Billion since inception, disbursement of funds to over 342 in local and foreign higher learning institutions of over 31 external partner funds, management of Self Pro- tection Scheme with annual premium contributions of over 110 Million to mitigate against credit risk exposure; and
- Approving simulation, allocation and disbursement of loans, Scholarships and Bursaries, over- see the determination of number of eligible persons to be granted loans, scholarships, and bursaries annually and advising the Chief Executive Officer accordingly to ensure prudent management of the annual student loans budget, bursary, scholarship, and other partner funded programs of over 17 Billion, overseeing the development of the criteria and condi- tions governing the granting of loans, scholarships and bursaries, loan repayment and recov- ery function of over 69 Billion mature loans from past beneficiaries, facilitating partnership with financial institutions, development partners and other relevant stakeholders for the pur- pose of disbursement and recovery of mature loans to ensure business continuity;
- Spearheading development & implementation of succession planning policies for business continuity, inculcating the culture of mentoring and coaching across the directorate as a cor- nerstone to talent management, succession planning and business continuity, oversee the im- plementation of enterprise risk management framework within the Directorate and the prep- aration of Performance reports and emerging issue to ensure institutional and divisional tar- gets are met; and
- Recommending loan waiver requests to the Board where applicable, participating in interna- tional duty through Association of African Higher Education Financing Agencies (AAHEFA) operations committee for benchmarking on best practices, coordinating preparation of Loan Disbursement and Recovery Committee Board papers in line with corporate governance prac- tices, spearheading the implementation of the Credit Policy, HELB Act and any legislative and regulatory framework in managing the institution’s
- Bachelor’s Degree in Social Sciences or related field from a recognized institution
- Master’s Degree in Social Sciences or related field
- At least fifteen (15) years’ relevant work experience five (5) of which should be in a senior management level in a comparable institution
- Leadership course lasting not less four (4) weeks from a recognized institution.(added advantage)
How to Apply
Detailed job requirements, duties and responsibilities for these positions are accessible online through HELB’s www.helb.co.ke or jobs portal.
If you believe you can clearly demonstrate your abilities to meet the criteria given above, please send your application, copy of identity card, detailed Curriculum Vitae, relevant copies of testimonials certificates, daytime contact, and contacts of three referees, to reach the office of the Chief Executive Officer to P.O Box 69489 – 00400, Anniversary Towers, 18th Floor, Nairobi or email to email@example.com not later than 6th April, 2021.
Ethics and Integrity
Shortlisted candidates shall be expected to prove their compliance with Chapter 6 of the Constitution of Kenya, 2010 by obtaining and presenting the documents during interview clearance/compliance certificate from the following organizations:
- Kenya Revenue Authority;
- Higher Education Loans Board;
- Ethics and Anti-Corruption
- Directorate of Criminal Investigations (Certificate of Good Conduct) and;
- Credit Reference Bureau
HELB is an equal opportunity employer. Persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Only successful candidates will be contacted.