About Mercy Corps
Mercy Corps is powered by the belief that a better world is possible. To do this, we know our teams do their best work when they are diverse and every team member feels that they belong. We welcome diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and skills so that we can be stronger and have long term impact.
The Program / Department Summary
With funding from USAID’s Bureau for Humanitarian Assistance (BHA), Mercy Corps’ Nawiri Program is leading a consortium of Kenyan and international partners on a five year journey to sustainably reduce persistent acute malnutrition in Turkana and Samburu Counties of Kenya.
General Position Summary
The REAP Mentors will be responsible for execution of Rural Entrepreneur Access Project (REAP) a two year women poverty graduation model aimed at supporting human capital development for resilient individuals who are then are engaged in a group-based business enterprise.
S/he will implement strategies in coordination with the Livelihoods Officer, the REAP Officer, the BOMA Project’s focal person, Field Director and technical team. REAP Mentors focus on community, girls and women engagement, including the identification, recruitment and retention of training women and participants; the establishment of partnerships with key community members (elders, religious leaders, government officials); and ensuring that common strategies and approaches are applied consistently in all communities and engagement with relevant private sector actors. S/he will work closely with our partner the BOMA Project, who will provide strong advisory support, and look for opportunities to link program learning with similar activities taking place in Samburu.
- Contribute to team work plans and successful implementation of Rural Entrepreneur Access Project activities, following work plans so activities are on time, target and within the approved budget, and program deliverables achieve desired impact.
- Implement a 18-24 month poverty graduation model and ensure that interventions are responsive to stakeholders and consistent with Mercy Corps’ and the BOMA Project’s relevant program guidelines, principles, values, quality standards and strategic plan. Ensure that interventions are evidence-based and adhere to adaptive management principles.
- Manage REAP business and associated VSLA groups
- Provide mentoring to small businesses for 18-24 months through regular site visits to assess the health of the business.
- · In a collaborative process with the community (Participatory Wealth Ranking and Participatory Rural Appraisal) and Location Advisory Committees, target and identify eligible girls and women for the program, based on agreed written criteria
- Train and mentor the participants to write a business plan of chosen viable businesses and provide two years mentoring during monthly visits
- Facilitate disbursement of e-transfers in two instalments for participants to buy stock and equipment for their business
- Train participants on how to run a business, supply and demand, profit and pricing, marketing and record keeping. Other trainings include life skills, family planning, nutrition, WASH, educating their girls, rights of women and leadership
- Facilitate participants to form savings associations of 5 to 7 businesses that meet monthly to deposit savings. Members and village residents access credit for long term expenses and business growth
- Link women to other traders, markets, financial institutions, public and private institutions
- Implement monitoring and evaluation tools.
- Coordinate with procurement, logistics, security, administration and human resources teams to ensure operational systems support field activities.
- Work closely with all the program staff in implementation of the program.
- Represent Nawiri in the Ward including as a representative for the organization in local development communities.
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its mission.
- Perform any other duties as assigned by his/her supervisor or representatives
INFLUENCE & REPRESENTATION
- Represent Mercy Corps at government, donor, NGO and other relevant events, in close coordination with the Livelihoods Officer and County Project Coordinator and country.
- Coordinate activities with consortium partners, sub grantees, local government and other implementers, as well as with other Mercy Corps programs.
- Work closely with the country team’s security focal point to develop and maintain systems that promote the safety and security of all team members.
- Ensure that programs are designed and implemented with a clear analysis and understanding of security.
· As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Reports Directly To: REAP Officer with a dotted line to BOMA Project focal person
Works Directly With: Livelihoods Officer, Senior Private Sector Engagement & Financial Inclusion Officer, Gender Officer, Technical Advisors/Leads, Learning Coordinators, M&E Coordinator, field level finance and operations teams** and broader Nawiri team.
Minimum qualifications and transferable skills
At least a Diploma or certificate in community development, social work or another related discipline Previous experience in the dry lands of northern Kenya is a requisite; work with a local non-governmental organization is strongly preferred.
· Possess excellent interpersonal skills; candidates should be able to relate well to both the girls and women with whom they work.
· Have experience in data collection
· Be self-driven, and able to work with minimal staff supervision
· Be reliable and punctual
· Have an understanding of English, Swahili and local languages
· Possession of valid motorcycle driving license and or willingness to acquire one immediately is an added advantage. Willingness and ability to drive motorcycle is strongly preferred for this post.
How to Apply
Applications should be submitted on or before 19th March, 2021. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis . Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. For detailed position description, please visit the link: https://bit.ly/3kUghp8
Mercy Corps does not charge any fees at any stage of the recruitment process.