1. ABOUT IILA
The International Institute for Legislative Affairs (IILA) is a not- for- profit organization that works closely with Policy making institutions, Government Departments, Members of Parliament and other stakeholders in the legislative process to draft and advocate for pro- people policies and legislation.
2. POSITION SUMMARY
This position offer an exciting opportunity for the potential candidate to contribute directly to enhancing the capacity of key stakeholders in the policy and legislative space to effectively engage in the process of developing and implementing quality and responsive ‘pro- people’ policies and legislation in line with our vision of “A Just Society Governed by Fair and Righteous Laws” and our mission of enhancing the legislative process in Kenya by providing technical support to law making institutions and other stakeholders.
The Programme Officer will be responsible for enhancing the ability of IILA staff, targets (law making institutions) and relevant stakeholders to perform appropriate functions and tasks for the achievement of their strategic objectives within the legislative process. The Officer will be in charge of providing technical and programmatic lead in the design, implementation and reporting within the capacity building programme, including assigned projects. The position reports to the Chief Executive Officer (CEO).
3. FUNCTIONS OF THE PROGRAMME
- Develop and lead the implementation of IILA’s capacity building plan based on best practices
- Identify capacity and institutional gaps amongst IILA internal and external stakeholders and design strategies for addressing them to facilitate their effective engagement in the legislative process
- Continuous development of training curriculum and material relevant to project, programme and thematic areas
- In collaboration with relevant programmes, design and implement training/ capacity building activities and programmes
- Lead resource mobilization for the programme and IILA work in general
4. DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE POSITION
The Programme Officer will be responsible for designing, implementation and overall management of the Programme’s activities in consultation with the Chief Executive Officer, in collaboration with other IILA Programmes and in line with IILA’s objectives. Specific responsibilities of the position include, but not limited to:
i. Provide technical, strategic guidance and leadership to the programme;
ii. Lead the design, execution and monitoring of programme plans and activities to ensure effective delivery in line with organizational objectives;
iii. Capacity development: lead in capacity development interventions for IILA; both internal and external stakeholders, through appropriate channels and processes including, but not limited to capacity assessment, identification of capacity enhancement opportunities, development of training curriculum, toolkits and materials; as well as development and review of capacity development policies and strategies as applicable;
iv. Expand current projects under the programme and conceptualize new ones;
v. Coordinate administrative arrangements for programme and project activities;
vi. Resource mobilization: identify and develop resourcing strategies that respond to programme goals and targets; and supporting organizational fundraising efforts;
vii. Lead in the preparation of programme implementation reports and schedules in line with IILA internal policies and in compliance with contractual agreements with IILA funders;
viii. Coordinate and manage external relationships through networking and partnership opportunities with individuals and stakeholders relevant to the programme and its projects;
ix. Represent IILA at forums and workshops as assigned, and use these opportunities to build partnerships and networks and support advocacy efforts;
x. Undertake any other duties as assigned by the Chief Executive Officer.
5. QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelors’ Degree in humanities, social and/ or political sciences, public health or related degree from a recognized University;
- Knowledge and understanding of policy and legislative issues and processes
- At least 3 years’ experience in the NGO sector in the above or similar capacity
- Demonstrable experience/ professional qualification in conducting trainings/facilitation will be an added advantage.
6. COMPETENCIES AND SKILLS
- Excellent communication, with ability to transmit key messages in many appropriate ways
- Strong networking and inter- personal skills
- Ability to develop suitable materials for diverse capacity building groups and needs
- Ability to create pragmatic approaches to capacity support
- Ability to design capacity building strategies based on clear needs identification and understanding of operating context
- Strong training, presentation and facilitation skills in diverse settings
- Ability to identify and mobilize resources to support our capacity building work
- Solid understanding of the environment in which IILA operates as well as commitment to and understanding of IILA’s vision, mission and values
Remuneration will be according to IILA salary scale and policies.
How to Apply
Interested candidates who satisfy the above requirements should forward their application comprising of a cover letter and CV to the CEO, International Institute for Legislative Affairs at email@example.com . In the subject of your email write your name and the position you are applying for (e.g., Name- Capacity Building Programme Officer). The position should be filled presently, therefore applications will be considered on a rolling basis.