Administrative Officer Job at United Nations
Org. Setting and Reporting
The United Nations Office at Nairobi (UNON) in the UN Headquarters in Africa and the representative office of the Secretary-General. UNON supports programme implementation of the UN Environment Programme (UNEP) and the UN Human Settlements Programme (UN-Habitat) globally, as well as other UN offices in Kenya, by providing administrative, conference and information services (www.unon.org). The post is in the Contractual Translation Unit, Conference Support Section within the Division of Conference Services (DCS), UNON.
Under the supervision of the Chief, Conference Support Section, within delegated authority, the incumbent will be responsible for the following:
Responsibilities for the Administrative Officer Job
- Take the lead with respect to the preparation and implementation of the work programme, ensuring that assigned resources are utilized to implement activities in accordance with the programme of work of the unit.
- Define work requirements and collaborate with the language units with respect to improving implementation of work procedures, reporting systems and cost effective utilization of program resources.
- Effectively coordinate actions related to the administration of contractual translation ensuring consistency in the application of UN rules and procedures.
- Supervise and provide guidance on financial administration and management information issues and practices of management or work unit to staff.
- Monitor and review the work programme by conducting regular and special reviews to assess progress of actual work versus the programme plan. Coordinate the production of programme reports.
- Oversee the day-to-day administration of outsourced contractual services
- Organize, in close cooperation with the Chiefs of Translation Language Units, the testing of potential contractual candidates, from which the most successful candidates will be included in the roster and maintain the roster of contractual translators.
- Provide necessary tools to contractual translators and coordinate evaluation reports and ensure that timely feedback is provided to the clients.
- Prepare and initiate the procurement process for contracting with contractual agencies as necessary and oversee processing the payment of contractors’ services, monitor and reconcile payments.
- Monitor use of funds earmarked for contractual translation and compile relevant reports.
- Monitor that procedures in place are implemented to ensure that accounting and financial management controls are consistent with UN policy and practice.
- Work with key clients to facilitate the development, implementation and evaluation of assigned programme of work; monitor and analyze specific aspects of programme of work development and implementation; review relevant documents and reports; identify problems and issues to be addressed and recommend corrective actions; liaise with relevant parties; identify and track follow-up actions.
- Supervise the preparation of performance reports on a regular basis as well as upon request of senior management; – Conduct surveys in the area of procedures and conditions of service of contractual translators in conjunction with other duty stations, and make relevant recommendations to the Chiefs of Section/Units:- Maintains close contact with counter parts in other duty stations to set up and maintains meaningful contractual component in the context of Integrated Global Management.
- Supervise staff as required.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Administrative Officer Job Qualifications
- Professionalism: Knowledge of administrative, budgetary, financial and human resources policies and procedures. Ability to apply various United Nations administrative rules and regulations in work situations and implementation of rules and regulations governing the procurement of language services.. Conceptual analytical and evaluative skills to conduct independent research and analysis. Ability to identify issues, formulate opinions, make conclusions and recommendations. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
- Planning & Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
- Client Orientation: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
- Accountability: Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honours commitments; delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards; operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules; supports subordinates, provides oversight and takes responsibility for delegated assignments; takes personal responsibility for his/her own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable.
- An advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in documents management, contract management, business administration or related area is required. A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A minimum of five (5) years of progressively responsible experience in administration, human resources, documents management, contracts management, or related area. Experience with procurement of languages services; contracts management and administration; or human resources is required. Experience with implementation of rules and regulations governing the submission and processing of official documentation is desirable. Excellent computer skills and working knowledge of an ERP system is required.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the position advertised, fluency in English (both oral and written) is required; knowledge of other official United Nations languages is desirable.
How to Apply
Applicants are urged to follow carefully all instructions available in the online recruitment platform, inspira. For more detailed guidance, applicants may refer to the Manual for the Applicant, which can be accessed by clicking on “Manuals” hyper-link on the upper right side of the inspira account-holder homepage.
The evaluation of applicants will be conducted on the basis of the information submitted in the application according to the evaluation criteria of the job opening and the applicable internal legislations of the United Nations including the Charter of the United Nations, resolutions of the General Assembly, the Staff Regulations and Rules, administrative issuances and guidelines. Applicants must provide complete and accurate information pertaining to their personal profile and qualifications according to the instructions provided in inspira to be considered for the current job opening. No amendment, addition, deletion, revision or modification shall be made to applications that have been submitted. Candidates under serious consideration for selection will be subject to reference checks to verify the information provided in the application.